Aug 25, 2004
Northern Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello fellow diggers-

I usually do not hunt at all during the summer months due to the excessive heat and dry digging conditions, just not my cup of tea. But my brother who lives in in Dover, PA who has a strawberry farm, recently lost some of his farm equipment when he was plowing for pumpkins for the fall pumpkin season, and was desperate to help him find the missing parts that fell off his plow. For you farmers out there you probably know what I am talking about. There is a outer and an inner coupling plus the nut and the lock washers.

Living in Alexandria to Dover Pa is only a 2.5 hour ride, so I went up Friday night. I imagine the area is all but an acre, so we searched for the first hour doing grid paces and and bam, found the outer coupling, and an hour later found the inner coupling plus the nut and the lock washers all in the same hole. My brother was stoked and impressed that my Fisher F75 LTD found everything that was only about 3-5 inches buried.

I was listening to the "over load" signal, typically surface junk, etc, so this is what I was listening to. It was so rewarding to help my brother locate and find his missing plow parts in a relatively short period of time-inside 3 hours. I was doubtful due to the big area and heat. Being that my brothers farm dates to 1741, and has been a strawberry farm since the late 1930s, I decided to see if I could finally snag a large cent or an old silver coin.

Adacent to their house is an open filed that has had been farmed for berries since the 1930s. I was trying to locate my 15 year old nephews ninja throwing knife he lost recently in this area after finding my brothers plow equipment to no avail this time. However I did dig 3 mercs in one day, never have dug more than 2 silver coins period, so this made my day. A 1931, and 2 1944s. Not a bad day.

HH

Wayne

Attachments

• DSCN0107.JPG
    DSCN0107.JPG
    898.7 KB · Views: 146
  • DSCN0108.JPG
    DSCN0108.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 119
Upvote 7

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice mercs. Those are definitely good karma coins. I'm sure your brother was happy with your assistance. Good job! :thumbsup:

recentlycured

Jun 28, 2013
Great story and finds!Truly rewarding to help and then score some silver to top off the day!I still have yet to dig a silver coin....only been metal detectin since xmas and only been out twenty times or so but got my first ring today and its sterling!Again womderful story and Happy Hunting!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Love those merc dimes. :icon_thumright:

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the most famous Roman treasures found in England was discovered when an amateur detectorist was looking for a farmers hammer that he had lost in the field. You never know! Congrats on some of your first silvers! Only more to come good luck! :icon_thumleft:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice day for silver !!! And a good story also =)

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! gotta love them mercs!

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I enjoyed the story, 3 mercs in a day is fabulous. When I find 1 I'm overjoyed!

Roy

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Way to go! Sometimes the best things happen to relic hunters who are least expecting it.

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt and a great favor for your bro.

I'd be all over his farm like stink on rice if it's that old!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread