coin?

arrowhead82

Dec 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
found this beach detecting! any ideas on what it is or how to clean it?
thanks in advance :tongue3:
IMG_3468[2].JPG
IMG_3465[1].JPG
IMG_3466[1].JPG
IMG_3469[1].PNG

Upvote 0

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chances are it will be "environmentally damaged" no matter what you do to conserve.

I found an encrusted penny that looked like that and held it over a gas flame (using pliers) until it turned a blue-green color (about a minute) then quenched it in cold water. Almost all of the crust came off as soon as it hit the water and the rest came off easily after that. I ended up with a nice 40's wheat penny.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem with coins like these are they are corroded to the point of no return. Corrosion is when the metal that is constructed of be it copper/nickel or whatever. Turns into corrosion, this means whatever the metal was there is a deconstruction of the metal. The metal/design that is there is no longer there it has been replaced with corrosion. The best thing you can do is burn it with a torch or hit it with a Dremel to try and get to the bottom of the strike and get some detail that way.

Keep @ it and HH !!

Last edited:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it smaller than a modern cent ? If its the same size or a little smaller I'd bet a zinc penny... They don't stand up to the ocean or water or even air, very well for that matter.

Keep @ it and HH !!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The technical term for that coin...is knackered :laughing7:

SS

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah zinc penny gets my vote. Pretty sad that you can find coins in that horrible shape and they were minted within the last few years.

Funny watching the vdi with the zinc pennies as they come out the ground. I always guess how much of his head is going to be corroded off based on how low the numbers are. People get a kick when you tell em watch... This will be a penny and a good chunk of Abe's head is rotted off.

OP
OP
arrowhead82

arrowhead82

Dec 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cleaned it and it turned out to be a clad dime. you can tell because just the bust sticks out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread