I think I found my new honey hole, and nicest V nick yet...

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last two hunts are at a spot I think might be really good. So many signals, I think it might be the dump from the old hotel, active around 1900. Also, countless shotgun shells and ammo remnants, which always mean old coins are there too. The only bad part is that this spot is smack dab in the middle of the 8th fairway on the golf course lol. I have exclusive permission, and I dig very carefully.

The old coin purse clasp got my heart pumping, but no coins. The brass(?) wedding band was in that purse though! The V nickel was only a few feet away, can't believe I nicked it. Also found many lead seals from the railway, a pocket watch, a jingle bell, and my first decent thimble. The little tiny ring and toy hat were from a couple nights ago.

I think this spot has much more to find!

Attachments

• image-3534626385.jpg
    image-3534626385.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 167
  • image-1853395689.jpg
    image-1853395689.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 158
  • image-1153767160.jpg
    image-1153767160.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 152
  • image-1044783497.jpg
    image-1044783497.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 6

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My last two hunts are at a spot I think might be really good. So many signals, I think it might be the dump from the old hotel, active around 1900. Also, countless shotgun shells and ammo remnants, which always mean old coins are there too. The only bad part is that this spot is smack dab in the middle of the 8th fairway on the golf course lol. I have exclusive permission, and I dig very carefully.

The old coin purse clasp got my heart pumping, but no coins. The brass(?) wedding band was in that purse though! The V nickel was only a few feet away, can't believe I nicked it. Also found many lead seals from the railway, a pocket watch, a jingle bell, and my first decent thimble. The little tiny ring and toy hat were from a couple nights ago.

I think this spot has much more to find!

Wow congrats how did you clean it? Looks great!

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, I didn't even see where you said you nicked the nickel. Are you going to invest in a hardhat since your honey hole is on a fairway? your going to look silly slumped over your detector with a huge lump on your head from a titleist beaming you in your melon. I wonder if you'd be considered a hazard on the course. This is a par 5 left dog leg with two sand traps and a metal detectorist.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff.
Thimble looks silver...is it ?
Where are the lead seals...like to see those.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holy mother that Vnick is in amazing shape!, good job and i think ur thimble is silver!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking coin and thimble, over all the finds added up for a really good assortment and hunt.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi J.Cache you "Made me look" the words "nice" and "vnickel" don't usually belong in the same sentence. Yours has to be the nicest I've seen so far. I think clay soils are hard on them, yours was in sand ? There a golf course out here but I have no desire to hunt it , the park near it sometimes gets incoming and I tend to cringe every-time I hear that "Tink" of the golf ball getting whacked.

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Double that-best V I ever saw from the ground. Nice finds & pics-Thanks

GRiley

Apr 15, 2013
North Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000/DI Series 3
Whites 6000/DI Pro SL
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree on the V nickle. Most I've dug and seen that were dug you could just barely tell what they were. They wore so bad and so quickly. This one had to be almost fresh off the press to look that good. It's a nice looking coin now that I have seen yours. Congrats, It is a trophy for sure...........GRiley

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds ,do you think the thimble is silver or aluminum ? It has the look of Silver..

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow-- that one looks good!!

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow congrats how did you clean it? Looks great!

I just rinsed under water and patted with damp washcloth. Usually even a gentle tooth brushing will turn a V nickel red, and look patchy.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff.
Thimble looks silver...is it ?
Where are the lead seals...like to see those.

Rick, I'm not sure what the thimble is made of, but it rang in the 50's on the Pro. I think maybe silver plated?

Here is a close-up of the seals. I have found many of these over the past 4 years, but I must have found 20 in the last few days. I know I got lazy and passed on digging some, this new spot is littered with them. They have a number, and say "SOO LINE". They're soft, I'm assuming lead. I have been told they are seals, but not sure exactly ow they were used...

Attachments

• image-4120270508.jpg
    image-4120270508.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 55

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those seals must be railroad related. That nickel is really nice, I've only found one that detailed but not with such a good surface.
Rick, I'm not sure what the thimble is made of, but it rang in the 50's on the Pro. I think maybe silver plated?

Here is a close-up of the seals. I have found many of these over the past 4 years, but I must have found 20 in the last few days. I know I got lazy and passed on digging some, this new spot is littered with them. They have a number, and say "SOO LINE". They're soft, I'm assuming lead. I have been told they are seals, but not sure exactly ow they were used...

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dang, that V-nick was nearly uncirculated when it was lost. that thing is sweet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread