CIVIL WAR ERA STRONG BOX FOUND BURIED AT LOUISIANA PLANTATION!!!

KONO

Jul 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE AT BOTTOM

Note on Story in Green, THIS STORY IS HYPOTHETICAL (The parts about the Box and its Burial)
THIS IS OUR THEORY, IT IS NOT CARVED IN STONE

The year is 1862, the day is April 24th: a wealthy, landed, Northerner living in New Orleans has just gotten word that Union ships have ran the Mississippi River Blockade at Forts Jackson and St. Philip. The city is in a state of chaos as the ill equipped Louisiana Militia scrambles to prepare for the defense of New Orleans. The man, whose name will not be revealed, is soon heading to his recently purchased state-of-the-art Louisiana Sugar Cane Plantation with one intention... to bury a strong box. This Strong Box is constructed with a quarter inch thick cast iron, lockable, lid; the sides of the box are constructed of solid Oak. The man arrives at the Plantation, and buries the strong box by a group of Slave huts, as to avoid detection by Yankees dispatched to the area. The Union Soldiers on patrol loot another man's small plantation just up the road , bayoneting family portraits, and stealing all valuables. The wealthy man has just left his plantation, and passes the Union Soldiers on the road. The wealthy man is headed back to New York, where he will remain until the war's end. The Union patrol makes it to the wealthy man's Plantation, only an unnoticed disturbance in the ground remains near the Slave Huts. While The Union Soldiers raid the Plantation Home little interest is given to the Slave Huts, they and the surrounding grounds go by unscathed.

The story you have just read is based upon both Historical Fact and Personal Theory.

Begin Playing Now.

The story resumes 151 years later in early July: The Garret Ace 350 Screamed as it maxed out on the detection 'key', this was caused by a large flat solid iron object 2 feet down that we had began to uncover. My fellow diggers and I knew that this object was abnormal in its size and material for being buried underground at a Plantation. I Personally Presumed, from the ornately rounded corners, it to be an Iron Plate over a casket, as I knew it was not an Iron Casket. We had only uncovered three sides and two corners at this point. We tired and left for the day, vowing to return. Since we could only presume the nature of the object we decided to dig to the object to determine if its length was 6 feet long, which would identify the objects possible ghoulish nature.

We returned Today, Thursday July 25th for a dig of a newly discovered Plantation site with the intention of finishing the dig of what we called "the coffin." Before the detecting could begin, my fellow metal detector, who brought the only metal detector of the day... sliced through his Ace 350 with a Carbide tipped Bush Clearing Circular Blade...

Ace 350 Broken 2.jpg Destructive Device.jpg
When a machine of discovery meets a machine of destruction...

We could no longer detect, so we decided to dig an already known object of interest. After several hours of digging we hit the fourth edge of the object, the object measured 2x2 Feet, revealing itself as a box... I quickly snapped a few photos...

2013-07-25_14-33-07_838.jpg 2013-07-25_14-33-15_633.jpg

I then proceeded to lift the quarter inch thick steel lid with my bare hands.... The box opened and we stared inside. The Oak still remained intact, preserved by the wet Louisiana Clay. The box interior was filled with 151 year old River Sand mixed with Clay...

2013-07-25_14-36-31_117.jpg 2013-07-25_14-36-37_961.jpg View attachment 833991

And this is where the story ends for now...

UPDATE: We have not completed the Excavation of the Box, and the Exhuming of the Box. The water table is currently to high due to recent rain storms, and we do have a hand dredge pump. We will try digging the site tomorrow after the water level has settled. The Lid of the Box, as well as the very fragile Oak sides have been left in place. We will bring my metal detector to stick into the dig area, in absence of the iron lid. The area will be scanned thoroughly. So far, we have not hit the bottom of the box; we do not know if the contents are deeper in the ground, in the wet clay.

This is no treasure story, we believe it to be a civil war cache. We do not know if the box's contents were removed, or are still present. We do not know what was in the box. We know who owned the Plantation at the time, but their is no record of any box. The Plantation has been owned by the current owners only since the 1890's, so there are no family legends. We rely on Conveyance records, and some Private Records and Recollections. None of which mention the box. We obviously know the owner of the Plantation, where he was from, and the extent of his wealth. We also have all Plantation Manifest. We know that Union Soldiers did raid homes in the area, and did bayonet a neighbor's family portraits. We can safely assume a box was not buried with nothing it and for no purpose, though it's contents could have been removed after the war.

We discovered this chest, assumed it was a casket and left it be, we returned and proved our concerns ill founded. We then proceeded to dig the chest, if you had a sharp set of eyes you would have noticed I mentioned the "package" in a previous thread, and had the thread removed. We found the Clay marble on top of the "package", and took down the thread mentioning the "package", just in case we had found a casket which we would not disturb. We decided an iron plate would not be over a casket, and began to dig again on the 25th... and here we are today.

We will let you know what we find whether the box be empty or full. However, if it contains something extremely valuable, for obvious reasons I would not reveal it; I would be sipping Mint Juleps in Geneva.

I will now take your questions, and hear your theories, and hopefully not your hatred.

Note: I am surprised at the amount of dis-taste of my posting of such an amazing find (the buried box itself), I do not know if its jealousy, disbelief, or what... I hope this update will ease the tension and apprehension.

As GRiley put it: "I know one thing for sure you will not ever forget it empty or full of treasure.........."

It's Revealed!

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/367090-civil-war-era-strong-box-reveal.html

Follow my other digs here:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/relic-hunting/366228-official-louisiana-plantation-dig.html

So now one question remains... who will I be, Mel Fisher or Geraldo Rivera?

Last edited:
Upvote 7

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh God another one of those stories that will never know the truth but will drag on. Just tell us or don't post it.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got to ask...why was only one (damaged) detector brought to a day of metal detecting? LOL!

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't tease us...just tell us...or don't even mention it if you found something good but need to keep it quiet....Ammunition box?

Good story telling though.......well written!

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KONO

Jul 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the metal detector was KIA in the field, of course we did not bring a broken detector :laughing7:

OP
OP
K

KONO

Jul 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe me, I hate all of the never ending treasure legends... jean lafitte, dutchman mine, fountain of youth, confederate gold, etc., etc.

This is a real strong box buried in the ground, i'm just letting the story build interest. I would like to hear other peoples ideas & thoughts, before anything is revealed.

You should be grateful I took my time to show you my find so far (the chest), as it is a very rare one.

This is a friendly Exhibition of our find to the Public... not a tall tail open for ridicule

Don't worry the wait will not be that long.

Last edited:

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
Hope this fairy tale has a happy ending and soon!!! If I found something this awesome I would either keep it to myself or show everyone the whole shebang.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, I'll bite! Let's see the cleaned up box and what if anything was inside it. This drama has already been going on for weeks when you described the "package."

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hope you dug deeper or at least removed the box from the hole and rescanned the ground.An empty box may be a distraction to whats buried deeper.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
No one would bury an empty box! That is unless Red's comment is correct in #14. Frank...

z taft face.jpg

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose if the contents were not made of Silver or Gold any items left [may] be ruined.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No doubt emptied by the slaves who had to dig the hole to bury it... Wealthy plantation owners did not dig their own holes.

DCMatt

GRiley

Apr 15, 2013
North Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000/DI Series 3
Whites 6000/DI Pro SL
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Empty or full, When you first realized it was a strong box, had to be the most awesome feeling possible. Were you shaking uncontrollably? Feeling very weak? 99.9999999% of us will never get a rush like that. I can't imagine it being empty and being buried 2 feet deep unless it was thrown away in a pit at that time.. It's contents , could be a dead pet, Slaves hidden stash, family jewels, Money, Paper money would have been put in jars first I recon. Some type of religious ritual connected with voodoo. The possibilities are endless. I know one thing for sure you will not ever forget it, empty or full of treasure..........GRiley

Here is a link to a 4 page article on Louisiana Treasure. Lost and Found. Published in 1956
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/looking-for-louisianas-lost-loot/

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps it contained a jar of $2.00 bills?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe me, I hate all of the never ending treasure legends... jean lafitte, dutchman mine, fountain of youth, confederate gold, etc., etc.

This is a real strong box buried in the ground, i'm just letting the story build interest. I would like to hear other peoples ideas & thoughts, before anything is revealed.

You should be grateful I took my time to show you my find so far (the chest), as it is a very rare one.

This is a friendly Exhibition of our find to the Public... not a tall tail open for ridicule

Don't worry the wait will not be that long.

Sadly, your in danger of building a lot of negative interest. So if you want my thoughts - JUST GET TO THE CONTENTS! This will build the interest you so desperately seek.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Interesting find partially revealed & partially shown. For the contents, I'll wait for the book or the TV special, lol. Andi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread