Unbelievable : 2 collided bullets that were loaded together and fused on impact.

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[h=5]
[/h]
[h=5][/h]
[h=5][/h][h=5]Here's one I bet a lot of you have never seen. I have heard of collided Civil War bullets but never heard of two bullets being loaded together that fused on impact. These are 2 standard 58 caliber bullets that I found yesterday. God only knows what was going on to make the soldier load his weapon twice. I'm sure it was the heat of the battle. These are the first of these I have ever found in 25 years of relic hunting. I have also included a picture of all my cleaned bullets from yesterday including a close up of some fired small caliber pistol bullets and the cleaned tompion. Devonrex
[/h][h=5][/h]

Attachments

• DSCF0793.JPG
    DSCF0793.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 897
  • DSCF0796.JPG
    DSCF0796.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 455
  • DSCF0804.JPG
    DSCF0804.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 1,225
  • DSCF0803.JPG
    DSCF0803.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 248
Upvote 3

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
[h=5]
[/h]
[h=5][/h]
[h=5][/h][h=5]Here's one I bet a lot of you have never seen. I have heard of collided Civil War bullets but never heard of two bullets being loaded together that fused on impact. These are 2 standard 58 caliber bullets that I found yesterday. God only knows what was going on to make the soldier load his weapon twice. I'm sure it was the heat of the battle. These are the first of these I have ever found in 25 years of relic hunting. I have also included a picture of all my cleaned bullets from yesterday including a close up of some fired small caliber pistol bullets and the cleaned tompion. Devonrex
[/h][h=5][/h]

You might want to search in a circle out to 150 yards! You might find parts of the rifle that shot the two fused bullets as it is possible that it suffered a breeched barrel when the bullets were fired. Hopefully, the soldier that fired the rifle, was not injured or killed then or later during the war!

Frank

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is way cool. I know a guy who shot his muzzleloader at a deer and missed reloaded tried to fire again. He was so excited he forgot to put in the powder. Imagine being in battle. They used to fire their ram rods as well

drbecker

Feb 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was pretty common for soldier to double or more load in the heat of battle. There are records of Muskets being recovered from the battle ground with the entire barrel filled with multiple loads. Firing a double load like this looks like would probably result in a blown up barrel. A pretty neat find.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif
Outstanding Devonrex. Gosh, wouldn't it be neat to know exactly how that (collided bullets) happened. Wow - you sure found a bunch yesterday. Thanks for sharing...

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a really cool find not many turn up looking like that. :icon_thumright:

I found a newer bullet(s) a few years back stuck together, I assume mine was from target practice.

detecting finds 1154.jpg

Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a very cool find John. You wouldn't think it would be as rare as 2 bullets colliding and fusing in mid-air, but I've never seen anyone post a find like yours before. Nice going on that and all the other lead.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread