Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been experimenting with depth on my AT-Pro and wanted to try a few deeper hits. I was only there a short time and just couldn't find anything deeper than 6.5 inches. Now, granted, I was only hunting signals from 65 and up and this is VERY mineralized, dry ground.

I took a longer than usual time to dig them up because I wanted to see how they were lying in the hole and be able to measure depth.

I have to admit, I was disappointed that I couldn't find a deep silver. But, I believe if it had been there, it would've been targeted.

I did manage 3 wheat cents that were at 5, 6.5 and 7 inches. The deepest was 1924 and it sounded off a bit weak but absolutely loud enough that I would dig. Also, they all gave a pretty consistent penny hit. 65-74. I did clean them up but they were really crusted with a green corrosion.

Here's the lot:

IMG_20130730_194120.jpg

The letter "Y" find was an eyeball target but it was funny how it came about. I was asking
myself over and over, WHY!??! can't I find a silver coin!! LOL

Next thing I saw? "Y"! LOL

IMG_20130730_194226.jpg

See Jeff of PA? You're not alone in finding only a little battery fund! ;)

Thanks for peeking!
HH!

Upvote 1

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say you did alright! I also like to hunt those deep signals, especially after I have removed the shallow targets (4-6 inches). I also like the way you were digging more carefully to get the correct depth. That kind of "experimenting" can really pay off during future hunts! H Digs!

View attachment 836523

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say u did just fine. If silver was there, you wouldve snatched it up!, I also dug some wheats that were 65-70s range, i thought that was just indians in that range. Our machines behave alike lol

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say u did just fine. If silver was there, you wouldve snatched it up!, I also dug some wheats that were 65-70s range, i thought that was just indians in that range. Our machines behave alike lol

I'm sure there's differences in the ground we hunt. One thing I've found with wheats, especially deeper ones, is that I usually can get a hit of about 80 if I milk it long enough. Getting dead center and right angle. I'm thinking it's the purer copper.

Anyway, yeah, I agree. If they'd been there, I'd have found 'em. :)

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say you did alright! I also like to hunt those deep signals, especially after I have removed the shallow targets (4-6 inches). I also like the way you were digging more carefully to get the correct depth. That kind of "experimenting" can really pay off during future hunts!

Yeah, if nothing else, my experiment does help me to understand the whole machine ground relationships.

Thanks!
HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread