Short relic hunt today. Very interesting find!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out for a quick hunt today with my buddy FatTony315. We hunted a couple homesites close to one another. We spent about 2 hours at the first location. I recovered a large copper item about 8 inches deep.. It rang up as a solid 85 VDI on the VX3. As I was removing dirt from the hole I started to see the edge of it and thought for a minute that it might be a belt plate. As I removed more dirt I realized it wasn't a plate but then I was wondering what the heck it was. Here's a picture of it in the hole, followed by a couple pics of it cleaned up.

005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG

It looks like a commemorative ashtray?........If anyone thinks it may be something else I'd appreciate other opinions. It says National Commercial Bank Albany NY on it. There's a circular piece (it ended up coming off) that has the Seal of the National Commercial Bank on it and a date of 1825. I think this might be a 100th anniversary piece from 1925.... just guessing. Here's a few more pics where you can actually read what it says.

010.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG

The second site we hunted today had much more promise. It's over 200 years old and there are several areas of the property that we'd like to hunt. We hunted for less than an hour and I recovered a couple spoon bowls and several pieces of harmonica reeds. My buddy got a couple buttons... we"ll definitely be returning to that site when we have a little more time.

013.JPG 014.JPG

Upvote 0

Bayou Joe

Mar 20, 2013
Milton Florida
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Excalibur II Fisher CZ21, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold,
Garret, Vibra Pro,
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II, plus some old Dinosaurs.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like an ashtray circa 1920's but I have no idea, all I know is its a really a cool find

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think that is definitely what it is,very cool!

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know what that is but its cool :occasion14:

dutchtoga

Jun 28, 2012
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2se
Garret ATpro
Garret ATgold
Xp Deus
Nox 800
Vanquish 540