New at metal detecting but already finding some treasures

GoldGirl56

Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro & Garrett PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to share with you all that my partner and I have just started metal detecting and just love it! We have already found a couple of treasures - well not worth a great deal but still very exciting for us. Yesterday we went to a friend's property who live on 14 acres of beautiful bushland. We asked them if we could try and do some detecting and they were all for it so came along with us. We did some research prior to going and discovered that their property in the 1900's was subdivided and was a small community. We first pulled up a few rusty nails but about an hour in to my surprise I pulled out of the ground about 8 inches deep an 1875 One Shilling! :coins: We were beside ourselves! Our friends couldn't believe it and are now hooked! This is our oldest piece so far and can't wait till we go out again! :happy3:

Upvote 3

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Goldgirl. Where are you from? I am also a newbie I've hunted a few times but had knee replacement last month so I'm living vicariously through y'all for a another month or so. Happy hunting

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
1875 -- WOW! :hello2: You're not wasting any time getting out of the 20th century! I've been detecting over 2 years and though I've found some great items, my oldest coin so far is 1923. Let us know what you find next! Andi

OP
OP
G

GoldGirl56

Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Housemom, I am from Australia. Hope your knee replacement recovers well and you can get out and about quickly to find some treasures!

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks GoldGirl. I haven't done alot of traveling but if I hit the lotto, Australia is the 1st place I'm going to lol. I'm hoping I'll be able to dig on my knees after they heal. Some people I've talked to said it can take a year or more but I'm hoping to be way better by then. If not ill have to take my neighbors kid to dig for me. Lol

OP
OP
G

GoldGirl56

Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gosh Housemom good luck with your recovery! I must say our friend's daughter yesterday had heaps of fun, so taking the neighbours kids might be a great option!! Australia is a wonderful place and lots to do and see, plus heaps of history for us metal detectors!! haha

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to see Victoria Falls and the Great Barrier Reef and the opal mines. Love opals. And Koala and kangaroos. I could go on and on. I'm.hoping now that my son is grown and I can get back to work that I can see even more of my own country. My hubby and son aren't much of travelers. My best friend and I travel as much as we can. I just moved here to Kentucky from Florida(hubby got transferred) but this is a beautiful state with caves and mines and waterfalls.We are the only other place in the world besides Victoria Falls where you can see a moonbow. And we also have a place called Kentucky down under where there are kangaroos and other animals from Australia. So I've got alot to see here.I've been here for a year but my knees were giving me such a bad time and a couple other health issues that I haven't done much. Sorry for the rambling. Probably have put it all in a PM ( SORRY EVERYONE LOL) have fun md-ing and hope to see you around the boards with some great finds! HH

OP
OP
G

GoldGirl56

Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't be sorry for the rambling, loved reading your reply. Victoria Falls is stunning but would you believe I have never seen the Great Barrier Reef! Been around most of Australia and have visited a few times the Opal Mines, amazing! Have seen many koalas and kangaroos and just love them. We live in Melbourne, Victoria which is down the bottom of Australia but just love it even though the weather here, as they say, 4 seasons in one day ... such a true statement. So glad you love where you are living now as it can be hard to change states, I know I would find it hard. However, seems like there will be many places to explore. I will have to look up Kentucky's down under, sounds awesome. Hope you can have a speedy recovery so you can get out there and start digging! Thankyou so much for the interesting reply, maybe one day you and your friend could visit! Take care and I will definitely be posting more. We mainly do our md-ing on the weekends but I just love it and all the research that goes on before we have visited the sites makes it such a fantastic hobby! :)

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love reading about other people's finds and learning about things too. It's very warm here now tho it's been a pretty cool summer compared to last year it was 105 degrees not sure of what that would be Celsius but just say hot as Hell. Of course that could change now that it's August but fall is around the corner.so hopefully I'll be out and about by then. It was nice getting too know you a little. If I can ever help let me know. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread