Gold 64 Class Ring, White Gold Initial Ring, 1949 Franklyn, 1943 Quarter, etc.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I conducted two 3 hour hunts yesterday, one in the morning and one after lunch. I arrived on location to find that the developer had scraped off about 6” of the top soil strata.

That was good, as I was able to hunt the areas I had already found keepers at. And what do you know. I find a Gold 1964 class ring and a 1943 quarter within a 10 square foot area. On previous hunts I found a silver pilot badge, a junk ring, buffalo nickel, and other silver coins not far away. After I hunted out this area out, I headed to where I had previously found a buffalo nickel, 2 war nickels, 4 Rossies and wheats. And bingo, from the same hole I net a 1949 Ben Franklyn Half Dollar and 2 Roose’s.

Now I’m pumped, but pooped, so I head out for lunch. When I return, I start off where I left off. And as luck and skill would have it, I net what I believe is a white gold ring, with an initial on it (W or M). I don’t see a mark, but it’s not corroded and it doesn’t look like the silver that comes from this area. What do you think? Remember, before the scrape, these rings where down about 10” to 11”.

I’ve yet to clean the class ring, or anything for that matter. Besides the date, I can tell what High School it’s from and it’s Mascot. But as soon as I do clean them, I’ll post better pictures. But if I was to post an unedited picture of the ring, that would surely give my area away.

HH
I’ve already posted too much.

Attachments

• Hunt Area Scrape.JPG
    Hunt Area Scrape.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 2,036
  • Ring White Gold Unmarked.JPG
    Ring White Gold Unmarked.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,958
  • Ring Gold Class Keepers and Trash.JPG
    Ring Gold Class Keepers and Trash.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 2,599
  • Ring Gold Class Hunt Keepers.JPG
    Ring Gold Class Hunt Keepers.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 3,137
  • Ring Gold Class.JPG
    Ring Gold Class.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 2,010
  • Ring Gold Class Hunt Best.JPG
    Ring Gold Class Hunt Best.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 3,255
  • Ring Gold Class Date.JPG
    Ring Gold Class Date.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 2,002
  • Ring Gold Class Drit Cold Hold.JPG
    Ring Gold Class Drit Cold Hold.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 3,150
  • Ring Gold Class As Found.JPG
    Ring Gold Class As Found.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 3,198
  • Quarter.JPG
    Quarter.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 2,026
  • Quarter 2.JPG
    Quarter 2.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 2,043
Upvote 0

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Re: Gold 64 Class Ring, White Gold Initial Ring, 1949 Franklyn, 1943 Quarter, et

BANNER DAY!

Wow! What a haul. Congratulations! Silver coins and jewelry. Inspiring photos as well!

Ridley

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Ant said:
Thanks everyone. Here they are all cleaned up. The class ring turned out to be 10k and would cost about $375.00 to have one like it made today. It has Mother of Peril for inlay.

You going to try to find the owner?

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, Eagle Spectrum, Fisher 1235-X, 1280-X
Re: Gold 64 Class Ring, White Gold Initial Ring, 1949 Franklyn, 1943 Quarter, et

Very nice, ring cleaned up good.

My oldest class ring with a date that can be read is 1965 .... nice to know the older ones are still out there.

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Skrimpy said:
Ant said:
Thanks everyone. Here they are all cleaned up. The class ring turned out to be 10k and would cost about $375.00 to have one like it made today. It has Mother of Peril for inlay.

You going to try to find the owner?
I will keep it legal as far as finding the owner. And I will answer you as follows.

I have, including my detector, more than $700.00 invested in gear not including my time, gas, ware and tare on vehicles, and extra for auto insurance (the extra mileage).

I’m going to report that I found it and post it in the lost and found section of a few local news and or advertisement papers. What if the person that originally possessed it got a replacement under Josten’s Lost Replacement Program? If they did, that would mean they would have two rings, right? Take the last two questions as rhetoric only.

Finally, I was always told to that if you own something of value, and insurance is available, insure it.

HH

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ant,
Congrats on all those great finds! What an assortment you found.
Are those bullets in the top of this picture?
What is that rod with the snake looking thingy wrapped around it?
Thanks for sharing.
-MM-

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,318

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Looks like you found one heck of a spot...and without a doubt a lot more space to detect it. Looks like they may bve getting ready to build there so were I you I would be out there as much as possible. One of my hottest spots now has a commercial building on it!
Sweet digs!
~nASH~

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, Eagle Spectrum, Fisher 1235-X, 1280-X

Ant

I am probably not in the majority here on if you should return rings or not. I say it should be up to the person who finds it. Unless you are helping someone who is still looking for it. I know that each state is different, in the places I have hunted once the owner has stopped looking for his lost items then we can legally look for them and keep them.

For me I have had just as many bad experiences returning rings as good. On one class ring, when I contacted the girl who lost it she was so rude and insulting I decided for myself right then not to try finding the owners anymore. That lady would not even give me postage if I sent it back and pretty much called me a thief when I told her I did not find the other two rings she had lost.

I agree also that we spend a lot of time and money to find lost treasure, so what we find should be ours.
If your at a beach and find a quarter .. are you going to go and ask everyone there if they lost it. Should be the same for a ring.

On the flip side I have returned some rings where the people were very grateful and it made me happy to give them back, with no reward. All those times I was asked or contacted by the person who lost the ring to see if I would find it for them.

I am sure some here will disagree strongly, but I say that is their choice, if you decide to keep it that's your choice. I don't think others should feel badly either way.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Ant said:
I will keep it legal as far as finding the owner. And I will answer you as follows.

I have, including my detector, more than $700.00 invested in gear not including my time, gas, ware and tare on vehicles, and extra for auto insurance (the extra mileage).

I’m going to report that I found it and post it in the lost and found section of a few local news and or advertisement papers. What if the person that originally possessed it got a replacement under Josten’s Lost Replacement Program? If they did, that would mean they would have two rings, right? Take the last two questions as rhetoric only.

Finally, I was always told to that if you own something of value, and insurance is available, insure it.

HH

Fair enough. I kind of agree with what Old Tom is saying about finders keepers, and unless someone asks me to find something, I should do with it what I please, but if it were me, I would feel guilty if I thought I could identify the person. I wasn't telling you what to do with it. I was just asking. I don't think any less of anyone for doing whatever the hell they want with their treasure. Now if I found a priceless engagement ring down at the local park and I couldn't ID the owner...it's as good as sold.

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

Thanks again everyone.

Hi ModernMiner:
Ant,
Congrats on all those great finds! What an assortment you found.
Are those bullets in the top of this picture?
What is that rod with the snake looking thingy wrapped around it?
Thanks for sharing.
-MM-
Yeap, those are bullets. And the other item is a piece of old ball and knob wiring that was used in old housing (I think that's what it's called). The type of old home wiring that used glass insulators. It consists of a necked copper ground wire (looks like 14GA) and a 14 GA black sheathed common wire that is snaked around the necked ground wire. I think it ran throughout the house like that and that’s just a small section.

Old Tom said:
Ant

I am probably not in the majority here on if you should return rings or not. I say it should be up to the person who finds it. Unless you are helping someone who is still looking for it. I know that each state is different, in the places I have hunted once the owner has stopped looking for his lost items then we can legally look for them and keep them.

For me I have had just as many bad experiences returning rings as good. On one class ring, when I contacted the girl who lost it she was so rude and insulting I decided for myself right then not to try finding the owners anymore. That lady would not even give me postage if I sent it back and pretty much called me a thief when I told her I did not find the other two rings she had lost.

I agree also that we spend a lot of time and money to find lost treasure, so what we find should be ours.
If your at a beach and find a quarter .. are you going to go and ask everyone there if they lost it. Should be the same for a ring.

On the flip side I have returned some rings where the people were very grateful and it made me happy to give them back, with no reward. All those times I was asked or contacted by the person who lost the ring to see if I would find it for them.

I am sure some here will disagree strongly, but I say that is their choice, if you decide to keep it that's your choice. I don't think others should feel badly either way.

Hi Old Tom, I'm with ya all the way. EDIT: The Law only applies to property of $100.00 value or more.
This might shed a little light on what what we have to go through if we want to keep things within the Law when finding lost property in Cali.
In general, the CA State Law says that you must report the property as found. And turn it over to the State. Then, either the State Agency that the property is turned in to, or the finder, will place an advertisement in the Lost and Found section of the local news paper. The advertisement has to run a couple of weeks or something like that. If the property isn’t claimed in 90 days, the finder can then file a claim for it. But the finder is required to pay all fees for advertisements and administration charges and such.

Now on the other hand, the State reserves the right to keep the found property if the State deems that it’s in its best interests to use or auction the found property off. Cities and Counties can make own ordnance as to found property in their jurisdiction. Cities like Emeryville CA automatically keep found property and use or auction it off and keep the proceeds.

Skimpy, thanks for making that clear and may the AU2 Gods shine on you too.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

Ant said:
Now on the other hand, the State reserves the right to keep the found property if the State deems that it’s in its best interests to use or auction the found property off.

ie if it's worth a lot the state reserves the right to legally steal your find from you and from the rightful owner

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

Skrimpy said:
Ant said:
Now on the other hand, the State reserves the right to keep the found property if the State deems that it’s in its best interests to use or auction the found property off.

ie if it's worth a lot the state reserves the right to legally steal your find from you and from the rightful owner

The State waits the 90 days first. Then when the finder make a claim for it, they get the bad news. Go figure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread