Nice Draped Bust LC Find

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Tools Little Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_1239.JPG Hi all. I haven't had a chance to get out MDing too much lately but finally got a couple days last week and yesterday. I got permission to hunt a couple cellar holes near my house. On my second trip to the one I found a nice crotal bell with the initials E H C on it (maker's mark?) Any help on dating this would be appreciated. I'm thinking mid 1800's.

On my second trip to a field near the other cellar hole my second target turned out to be an 1805 Draped Bust LC in nicer condition than the 1805 I found this past May.

I think that both sites show good potential for future visits.

Sorry I messed up the picture placement. I'm very computer challenged.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_1238.JPG

IMG_1193.JPG IMG_1196.JPG

Upvote 7

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! That cent is beautiful! DB is the loveliest coin the US ever minted and that's a stunner--congrats! Great looking petal bell too!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
:icon_thumright: These two are in lovely condition - WOW! :blob9: Looking forward to whatever else emerges from those two cellar holes!

Years ago before I started metal detecting, I lived in way-upstate New York on 14 acres with 1840's house & barn, between Plattsburgh & the Canadian border -- sure wish I could detect there now! (I did dig some really neat old bottles from the homestead's dump though.) ANDI

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the crotal bells but I can never seem to find one intact. And that copper is SWEET! :thumbsup:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is such a pleasure seeing these large cents come out of the ground in great condition. Yours really is stunning, so the soil on your site must be very friendly. I hope you can find more where that came from. Your crotal bell also looks great, does it still ring?

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super sweet LC!! I have dug a lot of Draped Bust LC's in the last couple years and none of them were in nice shape.

dfx-kevin

Mar 15, 2013
Southwest mississippi
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and Tesoro original silver saber
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow it's old, NY has a lot of history great finds as always gimmie more gimmie more

Joshystyle

Greenie
Jun 23, 2013
Queensbury, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Weird, I just found a bell the other day that looks very similar to yours. Mine doesn't have any initials on the top but on the bottom it has 'No. 3' on it.

OP
OP
Metdet49

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Tools Little Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is such a pleasure seeing these large cents come out of the ground in great condition. Yours really is stunning, so the soil on your site must be very friendly. I hope you can find more where that came from. Your crotal bell also looks great, does it still ring?

Thanks terpfan. The soil around here is very loamy in the woods and there seems to be an absence of fertilizers in the fields where this coin was found. And yes the bell still had the ball inside and it rings just fine, this is my first one and I hope to run across others.

Thanks again.

OP
OP
Metdet49

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Weird, I just found a bell the other day that looks very similar to yours. Mine doesn't have any initials on the top but on the bottom it has 'No. 3' on it.

Yep, that's another crotal bell Josh and it looks like it's in decent shape also. Based on the small amount of research I have done on these, most have the maker's mark and/or size number on the bottom like yours. I thought that perhaps the owner of my bell had scratched their in initials in it (although I don't understand why they would), but the letters seem to be professionally inscribed, but on the side rather than the bottom. I couldn't find any makers that had these initials in the makers mark listings that I came cross. I still think it is pretty cool and it still rings good.

OP
OP
Metdet49

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Bell, did not see the initials on the UK site, might have been added locally or American manufactuer. Your Large Cent is a nice one but, it is 1803 not 1805.

http://www.largecents.net/collection/coinpics/s260.jpg

1803 Large Cent - Sheldon 260

Don

Thanks for your research and correction Don. I initially thought that it was an '03, but then it looked more like an '05 at certain angles. In looking at your attachments, I can see that it is in fact an '03. Is this the small date large, fraction variant ? and if not which one is it.

Thanks again for your help and expertise.

Bill

'03.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Metdet49

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to you all for your supportive comments.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread