Did I happen upon a 1700s-1800s Native American Site?

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did I happen upon a 1700's-1800's Native American Site?

Trying to figure out the shear variety of finds today and why they were all in an area about 1,000 x 1,000 square feet in size. The area was on a gently slope with big oak trees providing shade every so often, right here in my own community.

I found six .50 caliber musket balls, (three fired and three dropped,) with one being right on the surface!

I also found one .40 caliber musket ball, one .36 caliber pistol ball, four fired and impacted pistol/musket balls, a harmonica reed (my first!) a brass double spring clip (modern I am sure,) and last but not least, a copper Native American TRADE POINT! (My first!) I also excavated a new crossbow bolt in usable condition, minus the point.

That made my day. The trade point has stone-filed, beveled edges on the tip, just as you would expect. With all these goodies, I am trying to determine if there was a camp here or a small Native American skirmish site? It was a good day, thanks for looking. Sub 8-)

Attachments

• tradepoint.jpg 001.jpg
    tradepoint.jpg 001.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 147
  • tradepoint.jpg 002.jpg
    tradepoint.jpg 002.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 142
  • tradepoint.jpg 004.jpg
    tradepoint.jpg 004.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 143
  • tradepoint.jpg 007.jpg
    tradepoint.jpg 007.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 122
  • tradepointinsitu.jpg
    tradepointinsitu.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Upvote 2

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if you found a Native American site or not. Native American artifacts are every were. One time I was mding a friends 1950's house. I found a large base to a nice spear point above a pice of aluminum siding!! :icon_scratch:

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skirmish site from what your found. Keep digging might find more goodies.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a trade point or a point made by Natives.
My thoughts are that your site was a good hunting place or camp.
The modern arrow even points to that direction.
99.9% of the musket shot I've found were from hunting in the heart of the fur trade.
Missouri is a known fur trade state.
Work that site until nothing beeps!
Congrats,
Dave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread