Revolution Era Saddle Shield

j.dean

Dec 6, 2006
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's V3I, Garrett's AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was actually from last week, but I just now had time to post it. I dug this on a hunt with a new detecting friend at his family's old farm house. We were actually looking for civil war finds, but this popped out. From what I can find, and what I have been told, this is a revolution era saddle shield with the Prince of Wales insignia on it. It was about 8 inches deep and hit in the 70's on my AT-Pro. My second revolution era find, the first being a Spanish 2 Reale from 1756 that I found a few years back. Happy hunting!

Attachments

• buckle.jpg
    buckle.jpg
    701 KB · Views: 549
Upvote 4

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_searching.gif
Nice finds j.dean. I found one on the net cleaned up.

Attachments

• shield.jpg
    shield.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 416

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was actually from last week, but I just now had time to post it. I dug this on a hunt with a new detecting friend at his family's old farm house. We were actually looking for civil war finds, but this popped out. From what I can find, and what I have been told, this is a revolution era saddle shield with the Prince of Wales insignia on it. It was about 8 inches deep and hit in the 70's on my AT-Pro. My second revolution era find, the first being a Spanish 2 Reale from 1756 that I found a few years back. Happy hunting!

I would like to understand which resource dates these to the Rev War?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice looking find.

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find I think I saw one posted a few months ago I believe the consensus was its common and not rev war. I'll try to find the thread.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find I think I saw one posted a few months ago I believe the consensus was its common and not rev war. I'll try to find the thread.

I totally agree. It is highly unlikely to pre-date 1800, as that type of reverse fixing didn't start manufacture until the early-mid 19th C. The Prince Of Wales Feathers is a commonly used decoration & is not only associated with the 23rd but many other Regiments as well as a popular civilian decor.

See the similar 19th C fixing on the reverse of this mount (which I'm sure the OP has, if he posts the reverse?):
UK Finds Database - - - UKDFD

Last edited:
OP
OP
j.dean

j.dean

Dec 6, 2006
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's V3I, Garrett's AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Thanks for the help. I was only able to find limited info on it.what I found was that it was revolution era (civilian, not war). It is nice to know regardless. I didn't mean to mislead anyone, I was posting from the research I had.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of that seemed to start from a relic dealer listing one as Rev War 23rd regiment, which of course is ridiculous.

I still like those things though, and they look great in a display case. I also wouln't consider your post as misleading because you said era, and a Rev War item is either a yes, or a no, so when you say era that basically says you are not sure. It's also different than saying period, which means it definitely is.

Last edited:

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's still a really cool find. You didn't mislead anyone there's just not enough info out there. If i found it and saw the shield shape I would of thought military also.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score !

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bridle boss. I ID'ed these in a thread a while ago. Just search the phrase.

At any rate, these are FEDERAL era finds, up through mid 19th c. I do not buy the logo ID as prince of wales any more than believing that every urn on an item makes it a mourning piece.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Thanks for the help. I was only able to find limited info on it.what I found was that it was revolution era (civilian, not war). It is nice to know regardless. I didn't mean to mislead anyone, I was posting from the research I had.

I didn't think you were trying to mislead. I always like to set the myths straight, & this is just one of a few. Thats why this forum is so useful, we try & seek out the facts.

Like IP states, its still a pretty piece that displays well & its still 100+ years old, so its not a bust. If fact, I'm pretty sure I need one myself.:thumbsup: 1 nil to you!

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, ProPointer, Ace 250, GTA 1250, Radio Shack Bounty Hunter, Eye Balls, Intuition, Instinct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would guess post rev war. Wouldnt bet the farm, but looks like a piece off a banjo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread