1868-S Seated Liberty Half Dime!!!

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
WOOHOO!!! I found my first Seated Liberty coin!! 1868-S Seated Liberty Half Dime!! Not only is it my first seated type, it's the oldest coin I've found and the rarest too (only 280,000 minted). I found it today in a field out in the small town of Coburg Oregon. I wasn't even going to go detecting today, but my wife had to spend a couple hours at work today because she's taking off the next two day. So I desided to drop her off and go detecting. In the same field I found a 1887 Indian Head cent just last summer.

As you can see in the pic's she's kinda ugly but she's my first!

Attachments

• aaa-1868obv.jpg
    aaa-1868obv.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 936
  • aaa-1868rev.jpg
    aaa-1868rev.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 940
  • aaa-1868date.jpg
    aaa-1868date.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 920
Upvote 0

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Nice! I'm glad someone is able to get out these last few days; we're headed below zero tonight. :-[

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.
Oddcoins, those Seated Liberties are scarce out west! At least you can read the date on yours! I finally found one after 38 years of detecting eastern Wash. and Idaho,but mine had been struck by a bullet,then burned by fire! Took me a good magnifying glass and an hour to tell what I have.

coinman66

Nov 23, 2006
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle II SL 90
Congrats on your first Seated! Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside dont it? Hope you find many more. HH
Coinman66

kippero

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
white xlt E-trac
Wow Looks great and to think it was there last summer and we were that close somthing good is always hiding in the dirt. I wonder if you should try and clean it. ya know it will always be kept.so what the heck cant wait to see it in person. later

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Very nice odd coins! Hey, Danny64 and I are gonna hit it tuesday or wednesday down around the campus area, you and vwayne wanna join in the fun? I got a seated once here, out north River Road area. Sure are sweet coming up! You musta been jumping up and down with that one, lol!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of condition, a great find! Half dimes are not easy to come by and even when found are hard to retrieve they are so dang small.

At least being on the West Coast allows you the opportunity to find a lot of the S minted coins which have quite a few that are more scarce than the Philly and Denver minted coins.........

Again, conrats on getting a Seated coin and a half dime to boot!!!!

Don

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beauty is only skin deep, nice, Fossis..................

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats on the half,, I found a 1854 yesterday I posted the pic just a few minutes ago... makes you feel good when you find something that old..huh ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread