MY First find of the year

R

regij

well i got a copy of a howto book on MDing. folowed the advice and came up with some interesting finds.... ::)

my fist find was 2 horse syringes a old brown bottle full of horse immunization medicine of some sort, a rusted old bridle and 2 horse shoes and some kind of leather punch i think. a few yards away in another hole was a leather pouch that just fell apart when i tried to get it out of the ground. In the midst of it's remains were a handfull of coins fused together. I can't tell what they are yet but waybe after i wash them.

They're all in this clump of green white and black but you can tell they're coins. Any cleaning idea's?

Upvote 0
B

Big Diggin

I'm by far not the best person to answer this question cause I'm still learning myself.

I'm still experimenting with cleaning coins and other finds.

I've heard everything from soaking in Olive Oil to dipping them in microwave heated Hydrogen Peroxide.

Wait until you hear from other members before you clean them. The members here at TN are always very helpful.

Congrats on your first finds & Happy Huntin.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent...i wouldn't try olive oil, reather hydrogen peroxide (can be found at walmart) or a mixture of salt and vinigar...oilive oil will often leak out and make a mess of everying

HH
-GC

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I wouldn't clean them right away until you know what they are. If there are really crusty and stuck together, I would just put them in some hot sudsy water for a bit and see if you can loosen them apart. Sounds like they may be old. Can't wait to see what they are!

HH,
Moon

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you're off to a great start - thanks for sharing. I'd soak them in soapy water a few days, then gently brush them with a wet paintbrush.

Eddy1H

Dec 17, 2006
Rockwall Texas
Detector(s) used
Cz20, Cz6a, 1212X, Minelab, Muskateer Advantage Whites, XLT, Surf PI, Garrett TR
great way to start off the year, nice finds
Eddy

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not clean them at all! Use no salts, oils, cloths, sand, or any kind of electrolysis! Anything you can think of almost will scratch a soft metal coin and electrolysis can blow damaged coins apart. When you find coins like that do nothing to them till you know what they are. If you have a $100,000 + gold coin in there covered with rust and corrosion from the other coins and you damage it when cleaning it it becomes a $100 coin fast. However the sad truth is if they are as damaged from natural corrosion as you say its likely they are worth near nothing anyway. Just do as moonshadow says and put them in some dish soap water and let air dry or blowdry to try and make them recognizable.

Keep at it and HH!!

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the book was called how to MD right??? Not how to find a horse? I'm surprised you didn't dig up the horse, unless the horse is still in the road with someone sitting on it.(ref: the post of the dead horse in the road)

All joking aside, its a good start

S

sounder

Looking forward to hearing what the coins are when you finally get them separated!!

sounder

OP
OP
R

regij

well they're separated. the soapy water did thatmuch with alittle persuasion :)
I still can't tell what they are though. instead of alldifferent colors they are mostly white and fuzzy looking.
I went back today and found more equestrian (that means horse riding) acsesories, stirrups, old leather bits, and the like.

the handful of coins i found today were puzzeling, they were all foriegn. the largest in size is face valued at 2 New Pence featureing queen elizabeth 1981, others are..

2 1972 republic of deutschland 10 pennig
1 1949 r of d 5 pennig
1 1984 commonwealth of the bahamas 5 cent
1 1955 bundes republic deutschland 1 deutche mark
1 1973 republic du francias 20 centimes
and lastly 1 deutschland 2 pennig piece from 1971

not a single american red cent today.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, I bet some little boy lost his coin collection. Sure was fun finding it I bet. Congrats on the find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread