Some " Free Town Restoration Project" photographs 8/16/13

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a photograph of an old house I bought last month. It was built in 1875, and will be under restoration for a while. A chimney on the site dates back to the 1820's. The photo below shows what it looked like when I bought it.
-

-
The two photographs below show what it looks like right now:
-

-

-
There is a LOT of grading that needs to be done around the house, but we started where we discovered an old sidewalk leading to the old chimney. Unfortunately, the sidewalk has to go, so we are hand digging and screening every bit of it as we go. Here is a photo of the screen set-up we are using:
-

-
Here is the mound of screened dirt we have moved so far:
-

-

-
We are dumping all the discarded rubble into a plastic tubs .. so far we have filled ten of these tubs with broken bottles , tin can pieces, and the other junk left on the screen after sifting.
-

-
Below are some random shots of some of the relics we have found and saved to date:
-

-

-

-

-

-

Upvote 11

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice finds congrats and a nice looking old house

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
nice finds congrats and a nice looking old house

Thanks Wildman .. It needs a lot of work, but I enjoy that stuff. By the end of the year, it will look like a totally different place. Ever seen a house with Chestnut Oak siding? Stay tuned!

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ive been thanking bout taking down my old barn its got a lot of old Chestnut and oak an black walnut in it its over 100 years old

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
ive been thanking bout taking down my old barn its got a lot of old Chestnut and oak an black walnut in it its over 100 years old

Cool! Sounds like my house!

Attachments

• IMG_5591.JPG
    IMG_5591.JPG
    505.5 KB · Views: 63

ncnurseryman

Jul 28, 2013
north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool old place. I know what you mean by finding tons of junk. I have property with an 1860's house and I can't go two inches without finding a nail or some unidentifiable piece of iron.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey creskol,

It's looking lush in Albemarle County, man. I spent four years in, and east of Charlottesville in the early Seventies. I was not digging then, alas.

From what I can see of the glass items that you've recovered, they're mainly from the first 2 decades of the 20th Century. If there has been a house there since 1820, there could be quite a few pits. Have you got a good probe, and like to poke lotsa holes? "Muy tentadora!" to us bottle diggers.

Your poison looks like either a KV-1 : groupkv1poison1.jpg

or a KD-1: kd1poison1.jpg Poison Bottles

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey creskol,

It's looking lush in Albemarle County, man. I spent four years in, and east of Charlottesville in the early Seventies. I was not digging then, alas.

From what I can see of the glass items that you've recovered, they're mainly from the first 2 decades of the 20th Century. If there has been a house there since 1820, there could be quite a few pits. Have you got a good probe, and like to poke lotsa holes? "Muy tentadora!" to us bottle diggers.

Your poison looks like either a KV-1 :

or a KD-1: Poison Bottles

Thank you Surf .. Yes .. I have several good probes. For sure going to do some probing around the property once the excavating around the house is done. I am hopeful that the place will yield some more nice treasures. "Very Tempting" indeed!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great home now and will be for others in the future. I cry when an old historic building is torn down. My town had an old 1920s-30s? filling station bulldozed after a fella even fixed it all up and made it a little hotdog burger place. New guy killed it and put up a new fancy place. Thanks for all your efforts in saving this place and digging up the story it can tell us all.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a great home now and will be for others in the future. I cry when an old historic building is torn down. My town had an old 1920s-30s? filling station bulldozed after a fella even fixed it all up and made it a little hotdog burger place. New guy killed it and put up a new fancy place. Thanks for all your efforts in saving this place and digging up the story it can tell us all.

Ironically, this was being advertised as a "Tear Down" when I bought it, so I got a good price on it. For most, it would not be cost effective to restore it. For me, it's just a little gem, worthy of the challenge, and since I can do 99% of it myself, it should go well.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Ironically, this was being advertised as a "Tear Down" when I bought it, so I got a good price on it. For most, it would not be cost effective to restore it. For me, it's just a little gem, worthy of the challenge, and since I can do 99% of it myself, it should go well.

Here are some photos of the 1699 King William III Farthing I found while sifting. Hard to capture a real good image, though.

Attachments

• 1699.jpg
    1699.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 66
  • coin1.jpg
    coin1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 62
  • coin2.jpg
    coin2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 63

kuger

Gold Member