Some " Free Town Restoration Project" photographs 8/16/13

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a photograph of an old house I bought last month. It was built in 1875, and will be under restoration for a while. A chimney on the site dates back to the 1820's. The photo below shows what it looked like when I bought it.
-

-
The two photographs below show what it looks like right now:
-

-

-
There is a LOT of grading that needs to be done around the house, but we started where we discovered an old sidewalk leading to the old chimney. Unfortunately, the sidewalk has to go, so we are hand digging and screening every bit of it as we go. Here is a photo of the screen set-up we are using:
-

-
Here is the mound of screened dirt we have moved so far:
-

-

-
We are dumping all the discarded rubble into a plastic tubs .. so far we have filled ten of these tubs with broken bottles , tin can pieces, and the other junk left on the screen after sifting.
-

-
Below are some random shots of some of the relics we have found and saved to date:
-

-

-

-

-

-

Upvote 11

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see that old chimney now..... Where that arrow is pointing does that hill side kinda slope down?? Probably loaded with trash & good artifacts mixed in there and maybe some more coins are waiting to be found near the chimney. Keep us updated!!

Attachments

• house.jpg
    house.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I will keep you posted .. Digging and scouting away from the house is very distant. .. first things first.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rob - now that looks like it has the potential to be a REAL NICE man cave! A great place to sit on the porch, spit and tell lies! :icon_thumleft: It really looks like a beautiful setting. I'll bet you'll make a great find before it's all said and done! Keep us posted with your progress.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Rick .. I put "Jine" to work yesterday digging and sifting. Found a few marbles, a buffalo nickel, several pieces of pottery, and a few odds and ends. Back to the task again today.

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now this is my kind of thread. Lots of pics and a good story!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Rick .. I put "Jine" to work yesterday digging and sifting. Found a few marbles, a buffalo nickel, several pieces of pottery, and a few odds and ends. Back to the task again today.

Yes, I'm sure Doug is enjoying his "vacation." Keep him occupied!

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have showed me some of your handy work before (a post few years back).I'm sure when your done it will be a sight to see.:thumbsup: It's cool you have a strong passion for this as todays society seems to have a lot of lazy a$$es in it.:sadsmiley:
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
You have showed me some of your handy work before (a post few years back).I'm sure when your done it will be a sight to see.:thumbsup: It's cool you have a strong passion for this as todays society seems to have a lot of lazy a$$es in it.:sadsmiley:
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Thanks Pete .. We spent another day today digging and sifting and found a couple of overall/work clothes buttons, two marbles, a few pieces of pottery, a buffalo nickle(not sure of the date yet, and a token. LOTS and Lots of broken glass, nails, and scraps of rusted away tin cans. Had to work mighty hard for those goodies as the ground was damp from the recent rains and didn't sift very well.

On another note, Dominion Power finally got their arses out and finished the service change upgrade from the old 70 amp service to 200 amp service.

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a fun, but hard, project. Good luck and I hope there are no surprises except for good ones.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great place! That's going to be a fun place to be for a long time. :) :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the nice comments .. I will keep you all updated as things progress.

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You should clean up some of the better relic finds and make yourself a shadow box dining room table to show them off in. That would be an awesome addition to an otherwise historic house, imho, and I'd love to see how it looks when it's done. As a second thought, you're surrounded by trees, so if that table were made of native wood... exponential cool factor there.

lumbergh

Jul 22, 2013
Wake County (Raleigh Area), North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE PRO, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Fisher Metal Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks .. Yes.. we have found some coins with the oldest one found today .. a
1699 King William III Farthing. We have also found an 1881 I.H. penny, a dateless I.H. penny, a dateless Barber dime, a nice 1913 Barber dime, a 1937 Buffalo nickel, a 1944 Wheat penny, and one very old unknown fancy disc that we thought was a coin, but it is probably a piece from some kind of jewelry.

That's some nice finds - even if they are not going to fetch $1,000,000. That 1699 Farthing sure sounds like a find. Can we see a photo? Sounds like it's definitely a colonial site?

- Bill

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That's some nice finds - even if they are not going to fetch $1,000,000. That 1699 Farthing sure sounds like a find. Can we see a photo? Sounds like it's definitely a colonial site?

- Bill

Thanks Bill .. On Page 2 of this thread I have a photo of the Farthing posted. This old place has a lot of history .. There is an adjoining property that has an old cemetery on it, with the graves marked with rocks but with no tomb stones. There is no recorded history on it that I can find. I would love to know more about it, but have not had the time to dive into the records at the land office yet.

lumbergh

Jul 22, 2013
Wake County (Raleigh Area), North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE PRO, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Fisher Metal Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bill .. On Page 2 of this thread I have a photo of the Farthing posted. This old place has a lot of history .. There is an adjoining property that has an old cemetery on it, with the graves marked with rocks but with no tomb stones. There is no recorded history on it that I can find. I would love to know more about it, but have not had the time to dive into the records at the land office yet.

Somehow I totally missed those pics! Thanks! Sounds like a great pickup!

- Bill

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like you have your work cut out for you creskol. have to say though I'm kind of jealous.8-)

arrowhead82

Dec 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is awesome!!!!!!!

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Rob - now that looks like it has the potential to be a REAL NICE man cave! A great place to sit on the porch, spit and tell lies! :icon_thumleft: It really looks like a beautiful setting. I'll bet you'll make a great find before it's all said and done! Keep us posted with your progress.

Herer is a 9/11/13 pictorial update showing progression:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread