TAUSSIG POLLACK & Co. SAN FRANCISCO

woolshed

Jun 3, 2013
Victoria
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out searching my local 1850`s goldfields today and found part of an American Belt Buckle. A long way from home,
Also picked up a few very worn coins, English I think, a hand full of 1850`s buttons, $11.00 Aus, in modern coins and few other bits.

English Cartwheel penny.

Goldfields buttons.

Lunch money.:happysmiley:

Some of the other modern stuff.

Cheers, Woolshed.

Upvote 9

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Nice finds woolshed. ALso, looks like they all cleaned up nicely. Thanks for sharing...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap an 1806/07 Halfpenny & a later Victorian one. Nice group of finds!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice center disc to a great California Gold Rush era tongue and wreath buckle!!It is interesting how many center discs of the stamped buckles we find without the beltloops....not that it is odd that they broke as they were not very sturdy,and the weak point was at the junction of the center disc and the beltloop,but makes a guy wonder if perhaps the center disc's once broke werent used for gaiming chips or such?Probably not,I have often wondered though.
The first listing for this Partnership is July 7 1852.They were doing business at 154 Washington St.,but at sometime in '52 were also doing business at 95 Sansome St.,upstairs.They were listed as the sole agents for William Taussig & Co. of New York.
This is one of the three known San Francisco marked, stamped brass tongue and wreath buckles we have documented.The other two being the M. COHEN & BROTHERS,and the NEUSTADTER BROTHERS

If you could,look real close at the marked buttons you found as well and see if any of those are not marked with San Francisco companies,some are.Great to see "our",relics showin up on other continents.....really paints a picture!!

Last edited:

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice !!!,, Love the San Francisco piece !!!!!!!

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
G'day Woolshed,

A veritable passel of nice finds, sir. The Taussig, Pollack is my fave.

200410.image1big.jpg "William Taussig & Co. was listed in 1850 as a New York purse manufacturer. By 1852 Taussig had begun producing a wide range of leather goods for both the military and the California gold rush trade: belts, gloves, holsters, money belts, gold bags, etc. In order to capitalize on the new Western market, the firm opened a branch in San Francisco. A new partnership resulted in Taussig, Pollack & Co. in 1855, and the following year they became Pollack Bros., "importers of fancy goods and watches." Produced for civilian wear in the goldfields, the buckle would reportedly be worth $600+ if complete; the tongue alone, perhaps $300." Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine - Ask Mark Parker

Louis Taussig was a noted San Francisco liquor merchant contemporaneously.

hdr_SFO10912.jpg LOUIS TAUSSIG & CO., San Francisco, CA. (1856-1918)

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
attachment.php

Lemme axe you, kuger, be that your'n?

QNGplsCxOZfapWaR20NGRA-small.jpg

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't even begin to tell'ya how much I admire that piece. If you're feeling extra generous, one day, I'd love to see the re-belted one.

resume-cooking-a-recipe-for-success.jpg

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as soon as I get my hands on it I sure will.It was made(woven)exact (16 stitch..?...I beleive)after fragments of original belt that has been found still attached to buckles,and from period daguerreotypes showing the belts :thumbsup:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My favorite chef!!

Attachments

• Boy-ar-dee.jpg