πŸ₯‡ BANNER Absolute find of a lifetime: 1786 New York NON VI VIRTUTE VICI

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still in absolute shock. I went out to place that I've been to dozens and have done really well. After digging a bunch of junk targets and a WWII button I decided to try the other side of the area where I've never had any luck. Previously I'd only dug trash targets out of there. But today I noticed a stonewall that I hadn't seen before. After a few minutes I got a strong signal and almost passed it over because of all the trash of my previous times being out there. Out popped this copper. I knew it was different and that I had seen it before but I wasn't sure what it was. I texted a friend the picture and that I thought it might be a bust of George Washington. When I got home I looked it up and almost felt faint. I remembered looking at it before and not thinking much of it because I assumed I would never find one. I will be going back tomorrow and spending the day there. I have no cleaned it and haven't really handled it. The first picture was when it was fresh out of the ground.

Attachments

• 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    347 KB · Views: 1,708
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 1,703
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 1,452
Upvote 51

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will send it out, but I'm not too concerned with the value. I'm just happy to have found it.

I like the way you think, this is the part about my new obsession that your find has hooked me so much. I think that SAVING all this history is important and very rewarding to the finder. I cannot understand why people would not want to know what is in there ground, or areas that are off limits to metal detecting(unless of course they are detecting it themselves) I respect everyone's right to there opinions about there own land, except public lands that are restricted to metal detecting. Crazyslasher, I'm so glad you found that coin and thank you for sharing it with us. Please send some more pix, closeups when it is cleaned up.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the great find you dug up there, best of luck on the process going forward in the cleaning and grading of the coin. It'll be sometime before there's another one posted up for sure, the vote is in on this one.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a awesome find ! If it were me I would keep and think of it as a investment in retirement it can only increase in value !

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holy crap! nice work on that one!

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AWESOME! AMAZING! What a find! It's one of the rarest colonials I've ever seen come out of the ground. About 20 years ago I saw an Indian Obverse with Eagle on Globe reverse that was rarer, but nothing since has even been close. What you have is not just a rare variety, but a rare type coin and there is a big difference. I've been collecting colonials for more than 25 years, was a contributor to the Redbook from about 1995-2003, have over 200 colonials and I have to say, you found a great one. Way to go!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That copper is a bell winner for sure! So glad to see it appears to be in pretty good condition for a grounder and that should be a decent premium coin if you decide to sell. Regardless a super find and you just never know what you will find on any given hunt. Oh, it does belong on top!

Don

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its great to see this rare and unusual colonial coin posted here. Another nod for banner!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
I agree, needs the right clean, & it will look OK.

Its crazy what you guys pay for coppers.

CONGRATS

Certain American coppers bring a pretty penny..no pun intended. It's those British coppers that aren't worth squat ;)

OP
OP
CrazySlasher

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That copper is a bell winner for sure! So glad to see it appears to be in pretty good condition for a grounder and that should be a decent premium coin if you decide to sell. Regardless a super find and you just never know what you will find on any given hunt. Oh, it does belong on top!

Don

I got very lucky that it doesn't look like the other coins that have come out of the ground there. Most are unidentifiable.

Thank you all for the kind words.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's the type of copper we all want to find!
Looks to be in great shape too, love to see it all cleaned up! :thumbsup:

Dave

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd sell that sucker for stacks of cash

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
amazing coin there...like IP says, bet we won't see another one for sometime....should be on the banner shortly

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions