Ancient treasure

Realia

Aug 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new so hi there. Today I found an old coin in a bag of buttons and oddments I was sorting. It's likely to have been found in Cyprus. I don't know enough about coins to begin to identify it so would be grateful for any help. Of the pics attached the colour is like the reverse although it appears to be bronze. I look forward to your replies should anyone know anything about it. I hope the photos are clear enough. Tks Realia

Attachments

• coinreverse.JPG
    coinreverse.JPG
    682.3 KB · Views: 168
  • oldcoin2.JPG
    oldcoin2.JPG
    513.4 KB · Views: 173
  • oldcoin1.JPG
    oldcoin1.JPG
    515.6 KB · Views: 171
Upvote 2

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
It will help if you can let us know what "letters, etc." are on the outside of the coin. It is very hard to read from your photogphras Realia.

OP
OP
R

Realia

Aug 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
It will help if you can let us know what "letters, etc." are on the outside of the coin. It is very hard to read from your photogphras Realia.

Iv'e been doing a bit of looking and I think it is a Roman coin. If you view the video below I have narrowed it down to Maximinus Thrax (AD 235-238, or Marcus Aurelius or Nerva or Hadrianus. I will do more looking and matching until I can read the letters. I am cleaning the coin (soaking it in olive oil and scraping away the dirt - hope I don't ruin it but the letters should become clearer as it gets cleaned.

A guide to Roman Coins

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru'dads thoughts:

The coin on display is a typical C3rd Square Sestertius type. I believe the coin depicts the emperor MAXIMINUS I who reigned AD 235-238 and was of Thracian Peasant stock being a man of great stature and physical strength. Qualities seen from the depiction of his face. The obverse would read MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG GERM with the bust being Laureate, draped and cuirassed right. The reverse is SALVS AVGUSTI with SC in exergue showing SALUS seated left feeding a snake rising from an altar.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find! Good luck with the ID!

OP
OP
R

Realia

Aug 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru'dads thoughts:

The coin on display is a typical C3rd Square Sestertius type. I believe the coin depicts the emperor MAXIMINUS I who reigned AD 235-238 and was of Thracian Peasant stock being a man of great stature and physical strength. Qualities seen from the depiction of his face. The obverse would read MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG GERM with the bust being Laureate, draped and cuirassed right. The reverse is SALVS AVGUSTI with SC in exergue showing SALUS seated left feeding a snake rising from an altar.

Thank you, indeed it is Maximinus Thrax. I've tried to upload a pic of what the coin should look like and will post a pic again once I have cleaned him up a bit. See below for more:

NGC Ancients: Transitional Portraits on Roman Coins in the 3rd Century A.D.

"Finally, relatively accurate renderings of Maximinus began to be created by the engravers at Rome, for his later issues bear no resemblance whatsoever to the emperor who preceded him. One such denarius, issued towards the latter portion of the reign of Maximinus, shows a man with brutal, exaggerated features. The forehead and nose are prominent, and the chin juts out at an aggressive angle. The emperor truly resembles the giant soldier he was reputed to be, and it is easy to imagine him seizing power from Severus Alexander, who looks hapless by comparison."

If I've managed to upload pic, please see what Maximinus is supposed to look like. Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread