Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Realia
  • 1 Post By CRUSADER

Thread: Ancient treasure

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Aug 2013
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Ancient treasure

I'm new so hi there. Today I found an old coin in a bag of buttons and oddments I was sorting. It's likely to have been found in Cyprus. I don't know enough about coins to begin to identify it so would be grateful for any help. Of the pics attached the colour is like the reverse although it appears to be bronze. I look forward to your replies should anyone know anything about it. I hope the photos are clear enough. Tks Realia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coinreverse.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	848571   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldcoin2.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	848573   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldcoin1.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	848575  
    mariposagold and CaperBoy like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    12761 times
    It will help if you can let us know what "letters, etc." are on the outside of the coin. It is very hard to read from your photogphras Realia.
    .:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

.:: Rules and Guidelines ::.
    .:: NOTICE - You must be a Charter Member to sell on Treasure Net (Forum: Charter Member Classifieds) - NOTICE ::.

Aug 2013
    2 times

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by vpnavy View Post
    It will help if you can let us know what "letters, etc." are on the outside of the coin. It is very hard to read from your photogphras Realia.

Iv'e been doing a bit of looking and I think it is a Roman coin. If you view the video below I have narrowed it down to Maximinus Thrax (AD 235-238, or Marcus Aurelius or Nerva or Hadrianus. I will do more looking and matching until I can read the letters. I am cleaning the coin (soaking it in olive oil and scraping away the dirt - hope I don't ruin it but the letters should become clearer as it gets cleaned.

A guide to Roman Coins

Cru'dads thoughts:

The coin on display is a typical C3rd Square Sestertius type. I believe the coin depicts the emperor MAXIMINUS I who reigned AD 235-238 and was of Thracian Peasant stock being a man of great stature and physical strength. Qualities seen from the depiction of his face. The obverse would read MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG GERM with the bust being Laureate, draped and cuirassed right. The reverse is SALVS AVGUSTI with SC in exergue showing SALUS seated left feeding a snake rising from an altar.
    pepperj likes this.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    Why is knowledge power, when life is passing on sh*t... 03/03/19
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

us
    Treasure...life’s little moments!

Jan 2013
    Texas / Gulf Coast
    Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport
    495 times
    Cool find! Good luck with the ID!
    "Currently pretending I'm at the beach"

Aug 2013
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUSADER View Post
    Cru'dads thoughts:

The coin on display is a typical C3rd Square Sestertius type. I believe the coin depicts the emperor MAXIMINUS I who reigned AD 235-238 and was of Thracian Peasant stock being a man of great stature and physical strength. Qualities seen from the depiction of his face. The obverse would read MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG GERM with the bust being Laureate, draped and cuirassed right. The reverse is SALVS AVGUSTI with SC in exergue showing SALUS seated left feeding a snake rising from an altar.

Thank you, indeed it is Maximinus Thrax. I've tried to upload a pic of what the coin should look like and will post a pic again once I have cleaned him up a bit. See below for more:

NGC Ancients: Transitional Portraits on Roman Coins in the 3rd Century A.D.

"Finally, relatively accurate renderings of Maximinus began to be created by the engravers at Rome, for his later issues bear no resemblance whatsoever to the emperor who preceded him. One such denarius, issued towards the latter portion of the reign of Maximinus, shows a man with brutal, exaggerated features. The forehead and nose are prominent, and the chin juts out at an aggressive angle. The emperor truly resembles the giant soldier he was reputed to be, and it is easy to imagine him seizing power from Severus Alexander, who looks hapless by comparison."

If I've managed to upload pic, please see what Maximinus is supposed to look like. Thanks again.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links