Short day of sifting at Free Town yeilds a neat old token.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
What part of the world might Free Town be in? That might be a clue to where this token hails from. It has been listed in the Token and Medal Society database, but has not yet had good evidence for an attribution. I suspect Boston, MA as that appears to be where a New England chain in the 1930s by that name was headquartered.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
What part of the world might Free Town be in? That might be a clue to where this token hails from. It has been listed in the Token and Medal Society database, but has not yet had good evidence for an attribution. I suspect Boston, MA as that appears to be where a New England chain in the 1930s by that name was headquartered.
John in the Great 208

Thanks for the info. Free Town is a small community in Albemarle County Virginia, about 15 miles west of Charlottesville, Virginia and 13 miles east of Waynesboro, Virginia .. the two closest cities. I suspect that it may be related to the 1946 Grand Opening of the Kane Furniture Store in Charlottesville, which is still in business today.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-24 at 5.34.56 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-08-24 at 5.34.56 AM.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good find.... Just an idea or thought here. Why didn't you put "this" find on the ongoing thread you started and keep your finds together from this project? Your original one just got bumped to pg. 2. Still very good find.... Brad

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Kane token connection to your local town and I and most readers here on this forum , was able to remember , quite well , that this token is from your Free Town ,Va. fixer upper home site , you recently acquired .

The current trend of " the perpetual thread " in Today's Finds was OK & fun in the summer months , but for what it's worth ,

it is time to go back to what is found Today , each hunt on it's own thread .

As the Forum suggests and the way it is written ,

" What did you find today? Share it with others in the Today's Finds Forum. Always a "timely" place to visit."

i said it now I'll shut the he!! up , Back to Creskol ,

I'll be watching for mo digs !
:)

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks all! Whether they are new, old, worthless or priceless, finding a token ranks among my favorite finds!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dang, 10 bucks was quite a bit considering it applied to a 50 dollar purchase. and 10 dollars at the time would buy a good amount of groceries, unlike today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread