Where to begin?

F

FoolsGold123

First off let me say hello to all the fellow , TH'ers out there, My Name is Kevin
I have read the stories posted on here on and off for last few years. and I really enjoy reading about all the nice finds. I was introduced to Metal detecting around the age of 15 by my step father he had bought me a Garrette freedom ace, It wasn't long before I could tell you what I had before I dug the coin, it really amazed my friends. I have found numerous silver and clad over the years one of my best finds was a bane't knife that had a leather strap handle made with brass and pewter on the end of the handle , it was dated back to around the civil war. me being 15 or so at the time sold the thing and probaly for a lot less then what it was worth.
Anyway I use to metal detect alot as a teen then never really had the time later on, not sure what even happened to my freedom ace, man I loved that thing. Anyway I am posting because my wife's grandmother had past away. and my wife was left her estate, My wife is not looking forward to it at all, her grandmother was a pack rat so not sure what we will find but will keep everyone posted if anything interesting comes up. I do know that she had a decent coin collection , because some years back she was spending them for money not knowing that they were worth much more than face value.

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum Kevin! Sounds like you need to get a detector back in your hands. I hope your grandmother-in-law's estate provides some surprises...they usually do.

HH!
TBGO

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the group. Good luck with the estate and let us know what you find, and more importantly if you want to sell any of the items. No doubt you could get several offers right here.

don't forget to check the books. When a friend's mom passed away, I told him to check the books, etc. as he was cleaning out her estate. Short version is that he found over $3,000.00 that she had hidden in books, tin cans, and taped to the bottom of desk drawers.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Welcome to TNet FG! What a cool story....thanks for sharing it. Sorry to hear of her passing....condolences to your family. It will be very interesting to see what comes out of Grandma's attic. We want loads of pictures!! ;)

As you have probably already read....there are some totally incredible things that have been found in houses left to family here on the forum. I love reading those stories and I'm sure that yours will be just as interesting!

Happy Hunting,
Moon

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet! Sounds like you two are in for an adventure..

Take your time!!!!

Nana :)

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum!

HH
-GC

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum! Use Ebay to help ID finds and their values. Do not throw out anything that you can question as to value. Even old newspapers can offer a lot of info. Buy a detector, the Garrett Ace 250 would be a great starter machine. There is a lot of potential cleaning out a pack rats home. Godd luck and HH, Mike

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Waseeker is so right about the books. While cleaning out my wife's grandfather's place this year everyone laughed at me as I methodically flipped through every book. They stopped laughing as the money fell out of the encyclopedia !

Welcome to the group.

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Welcome to your new home! ;D

Please let your wife know all of your new friends are thinking of her at this difficult time.

As you start you new adventure, be sure to share a few moments of the memories with your wife, as all that "stuff" meant something to her grandmother, and much of it may be tied to your wife.

Good luck, and best wishes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread