Be careful who you tell where your hunting spots are! My "friend" snaked mine...

TK in VA

Mar 30, 2012
Front Royal
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Be careful who you tell where your hunting spots are! My "friend" snaked mine...

I have been hunting with this guy for years now. I even took him to the spot where I found my 2 CSA buckles. -The deal was that he only go with me and tell nobody else. I went back to my "secret" spot the other day, and BAM! -Holes EVERYWHERE! I quickly sent him a text hoping that it wasn't him...but it was. He acted like it was no big deal. Well, it is to me! Our relic hunting days are done, and I hope he falls and breaks his machine. LOL! Guess you never know who your friends are...

Upvote 17

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father always say's, "i don't have a problem keeping a secret it all those people that I tell that can't keep a secret"
Of course he also say's, " if no one sees you eat it, you won't gain any weight"

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The point I'm making here is that you don't need to deliberately inform someone about a site for them to figure out the spot based on one's unwise and unwitting divulgance of clues. Keeping quiet means you keep your trap shut and don't share a word. Even pictures of the finds alone can offer useful clues; level and types of corrosion/tarnish/patina, wear patterns, etc. can show what kind of soil or environment the items came from. A few more foolish utterances and the clever observer will easily figure it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

justdugcrazy

Aug 6, 2013
I feel for you my friend it's a sad sad day when you can't even rely on a person word anymore.My advice is simple start at A and end with Z ( example site A,site B site C etc etc.........AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE TELL ANYONE YOUR LOCATION OR TAKE THEM THERE WITHOUT BLIND FOLDING THEM FIRST.ITS TAKEN ME YEARS TO FIND GOOD SPOTS and sometimes you have to find out the hard way sorry about losing a friend because he wouldn't be a friend of mine after that keep hunting and keep posting bro

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A similar thing happened to a friend of mine who lives in the Shenandoah Valley area. Rather than get angry, he actually told the guy he's found a new spot, and would he like to go? Sure! So, before he left, he stashed a couple of really good finds in his kit bag. Well, at this point you should get the idea. Even though his now ex-buddy didn't find anything himself (doh!), they went back home. Sure enough, the next day the guy is out there hunting the same plat. And the next day, and the next day, etc. Sure spent a lot of time digging really big holes for nothing. And just remember, what goes around, comes around!

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met someone on this site and he shared the spot with me. The next time I wanted to go out but he couldn't make it, because his wife had a newborn. I asked him permission if I can go back and he said yes. And he respected me by me asking. I went only that one time...That is the gentlemen s way, if cant keep your word, what really do you have left certainly not self respect.

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Short list- Music gigs,fishing,fossil,mineral,artifacts and MDing. Assume the position... Age has taught me why the older people I met always:didn't know nothing-never been there -don't know nobody-never heard nothin'... I foolishly believed that I was just being ok with myself by being gracious. Loved how some felt obligated to repay me with-dead leads,illegal spots-barren spots etc etc-when I never asked. Whats that about?
Saving grace is the few people I've met with integrity. Basically went solo on everything 25 yrs ago. Not friends-but how about all the *&%$# that just walk on a location that you've researched & got permission for--the end result usually being negative.
After a few years I used to just state-I'm holding you accountable to what you have agreed to do. That doesn't work too well either.
At least 30 yrs ago when I started the threat of a beating carried a little more weight-no cell phones... It's a shame that current day research (by the majority) usually means-taking advantage of the work of others, claim jumping-being deceptive etc.
Opposed to what someone might find-in keeping with the subject of this thread-I'm more outraged at the audacity.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The whole term "Friend" is used too loosely these days. One is rich in life if you can count the number of true friends one hand, just consider the rest as acquaintances.

Urban dictionary definition: A friend is someone who: It's okay to fart in front of.

A person that goes and detects a spot behind the other's back is "A fart in a wind storm, it stinks, and then it's gone forever"

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the absolutely best hunting partner...my husband!

Luckily, the friends I have made in the detecting hobby have been very forthcoming with sharing their sites. Haven't taken anyone up on hunting their spots yet, but I know I can.

Sorry your "friend" (and I use that term loosely) shafted you so badly. :sad10:

HH,
Anita

sandy shoes

Jun 6, 2013
gloucester mass
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i only show spots to people that i don't mind if i loose them and keep some just for family. so sorry your friend was a ass.

Luckystiff

May 28, 2013
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75,Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that your so called friend betrayed you TK.I remember what my Father use to tell me (your a very lucky Man if you can count your very closet friends on one hand and three of your fingers have been cut off.SAD BUT TRUE

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im dealing with the same "BS"... i had a friend who was calling a 200acre public park "his site"... i always knew the place was there and would have gotten around to it eventually. he said he hunted it once 2yrs ago and found 2 wheats and never went back... so i go a day later and dug quite a few silvers... now hes pissed at me for hunting "his site"... a public park no less. i did eventually forgive him for raiding a one room school house I took him to a few years back. the difference here is "i actually called him to see if he wanted to go that day. this guys silver count would not be what it is without my sites or research. as far as i know, he has not dug one silver coin all year, ...i only know this because its what he complains about every time i would talk to him.... oh well.. i have more sites to research, one is a colonial trading post, another is a one room schoolhouse....more for me i guess.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Uhh,
The point I'm making here is that you don't need to deliberately inform someone about a site for them to figure out the spot based on one's unwise and unwitting divulgance of clues. Keeping quiet means you keep your trap shut and don't share a word. Even pictures of the finds alone can offer useful clues; level and types of corrosion/tarnish/patina, wear patterns, etc. can show what kind of soil or environment the items came from. A few more foolish utterances and the clever observer will easily figure it out.
I take it you consider yourself one of the 'clever', and certainly not one of the 'foolish'. Hot damn, you are good.
Don't see you post anything though. too smart for that, someone might track your site from the patina. HH. :laughing7:

kray

Mar 21, 2010
SW Ct. Formerly N Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
E Trac
AT Pro
Nautilus 11Ba
MXT
M6
6000 DiPro
Omega
Bounty hunter TR550
Heathkit homemade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uhh

Very uncool; why would you do that?

dave sharky

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first of all i would be so happy some one asked me to hunt on there land i would not have told any one its hard to find a friend and harder to stay good friends tell him trespass is a Fellony at least in New York State or used to be you might meet a friend like me so remember and move on as i say no one is perfect only i ha ha ha.

wild eyed willey

Oct 25, 2012
Southbridge, MA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, fast tracker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have learned from life experience that everything is relative to your particular point of view. If you look at the original post from the point of view that the guys friend snaked his site, than one could ask some very important questions.

If the friend waited and hunted the site along with you and while out he found the same exact items as he found when he went alone, would it change anything?

would you be happy that your friend had a good day?

What if you had a crap day?

The whole point of this is, that if the person is your friend, than shouldn't you be glad he or she found some cool stuff. JUST SAYING!

If your only point of motivation is to be there when a find is made, than aren't you the person who has the greed problem?

For me personally, If this happened to me, I would be glad my friend had some good luck because that person as my friend means more to me than any object or exciting moment in time. If I wanted exclusive rights to any luck, I wouldn't tell anyone.

So you see, how you feel about any situation is dependent upon your point of view and sometimes you need to look at anything that bothers you, with a different set of eyes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions