Be careful who you tell where your hunting spots are! My "friend" snaked mine...

TK in VA

Mar 30, 2012
Front Royal
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Be careful who you tell where your hunting spots are! My "friend" snaked mine...

I have been hunting with this guy for years now. I even took him to the spot where I found my 2 CSA buckles. -The deal was that he only go with me and tell nobody else. I went back to my "secret" spot the other day, and BAM! -Holes EVERYWHERE! I quickly sent him a text hoping that it wasn't him...but it was. He acted like it was no big deal. Well, it is to me! Our relic hunting days are done, and I hope he falls and breaks his machine. LOL! Guess you never know who your friends are...

Upvote 17

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is forever going to be a problem.. If you have a secret spot keep it just that.. Sorry to hear your friend snaked you.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Dang it TK in VA - you can't trust anyone. Now, when you find that next secret spot - let us know the location so we can make sure no one sneaks in and MD's
killingme.gif

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He will be the loser in the long run.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always sucks !!!! I took a "good friend" to an old hidden cabin, and the next week he went back with a friend. Snakes are everywhere !! This "friend" has never done any research,never found a place to go,nothing,,,, We are still friends and talk once in awhile,but whenever he brings up detecting,I change the subject ! I have learned my lesson for the last time.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only pisses ya off, but it plain hurts to have a trusted friend betray your trust. I have had it happen in both metal detecting and even more so in deer hunting. A guy I hunt with now on property I have exclusive right to, still laughs about my initiation speech to him. I included threats to his person and even his gene pool if I ever caught him on the property without me. All brought on by people of low moral standards. They are truly a piece of :censored: to do that to a friend.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Two can keep a secret if one of them is dead." In other words, once you tell anyone else, you can can consider the site gone forever.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
California, January 24, 1848. John Sutter had a Fort on the American River. He wanted a mill and hired a carpenter named James Marshall to build the main building. Marshall was scouting out a good spot for the construction and found some gold lying in the river. He went back to his buddies and said, "look. I found gold in the river!" That was it and the rush was on.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have similar deals with a couple of people, they are still trusted & have not been dumb enough to break our friendship. So my point is, do it but pick more carefully.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been there. I even had a couple so called 'good standing' members of a local club steal a few sites. It takes a lot of research to get good sites and then to have them stolen is a real bummer. I quit the club more than 20 years ago because of it. Now I keep my mouth shut about the sites and my finds too.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing what greed will do to someone even when there's nothing guaranteed!

tinman68

Aug 5, 2011
vp il
Primary Interest:
Other
have a memorial say a few words cause he's
dead to you now

the lone wolf is always the alpha male

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That does suck...From day 1...My hunting Buddy and I made a pack to only hunt certain areas while we are togahter...we have areas we hunt that doesnt matter if I go alone..or if he goes alone...But we do have a few secret spots we keep to ourselves.....When I go out detecting with my buddy....we share the excitment...espically if its a good spot....Sounds like that guy is just a selfish shiiihead

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,that story is all too common,and the reason I hunt with VERY few!!!A once top poster on here....totally quit the entire game over the exact thing!!!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
California, January 24, 1848. John Sutter had a Fort on the American River. He wanted a mill and hired a carpenter named James Marshall to build the main building. Marshall was scouting out a good spot for the construction and found some gold lying in the river. He went back to his buddies and said, "look. I found gold in the river!" That was it and the rush was on.

....thats not exactly how it went down,but I get your point.............

Flathead25

Mar 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please don't take this the wrong way, but it can be just as difficult being on the opposite end of one of those "friend" deals. I had a similar experience, not with md'ing, but with duck hunting. A buddy of mine's grandmother had a great spot on a river in VA and he wanted to build a blind. I told him I would pay for lumber and help build it if I could hunt there. The agreement basically ended at that....a gentleman's agreement. I spent $400 in lumber, built the whole blind as he "supervised". I got to hunt there, but always felt like it was a chore for him to bring me along, also that I was forever indebted to him, in his eyes. Also, if he were working or didn't feel like going, i had to sit, twiddling my thumbs. He would also invite his other buddies down without me as I would later find out. The whole deal ended when he moved out of state and I was left with no written permission to hunt there alone, and another family friend was allowed to hunt the blind instead of myself. I guess the moral of either story is both parties should have VERY clear and stated intentions or expectations with any agreement. You almost have to put it in writing if it means a lot to you....from my experience. It is tough though. Seems like the ones closest to you are the ones that can hurt you the most. Sorry to hear that your friend did that to you, either way.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence." ~ George Washington

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you tell somebody its not a secret anymore.Things like this will always let you know who your real friends are.Forget him and move on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread