🥇 BANNER Victorian 14k Gold pocket watch Update; This one may cut the mustard!

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not posted here in a long time ! Many reasons but this find trumps it ! I thought you guys might like seeing the watch I found today . I was hunting at a very junky site I have hunted many times . I cleared two iron signals and still had a screwtop overload signal on top of the ground snug up against a little tree , I brushed away the duff up against the little tree and Gold was staring back at me. One third of the watch was not covered in dirt. I took some insituation pics of the watch with my cell phine if you are interested I could post them . I also found an Indian head a wheatie and a bunch of other junk ! The only cleaning I have done on the watch is with a natural brisssle flux brush just brushing away the dirt lodged up by the winder . I do not even dare to open it myself ! I think I should have a pro look at this watch and decide what the best steps are for conservation . What do you think ? Thanks for looking and happy Hunting ! MaineRelic. :hello2: :headbang:

Attachments

• IMG_3710-001.JPG
    IMG_3710-001.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 1,215
  • IMG_3713-001.JPG
    IMG_3713-001.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 780
  • IMG_3716-001.JPG
    IMG_3716-001.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 815
  • IMG_3718-001.JPG
    IMG_3718-001.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 800
  • IMG_3720-001.JPG
    IMG_3720-001.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 708
Last edited:
Upvote 60

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BIG CONGRATS on the watch! Absolutely love the engraving! Get someone who actually knows what he's doing to check it out pls. and let us see it when done! Fantastic find.HH....

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Just fantastic... the engraved heron is so masterfully done, lovely!

Congratulations on the banner

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous find, that's what I am talkin' about.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Good to hear from you MR :hello: And to see your great recovery !
Herons were popular imagery during the Victorian era, spurred by interest in Egyptology with the all the discoveries that were being made. Egyptian beliefs held that a person could return after death in the form of a heron. Suspender clips with similar herons below. Congrats on the banner and HH to you, Herbie.

Attachments

• NC FINDS 8-31.2.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 82
  • NC FINDS 8-31 002.jpg
    NC FINDS 8-31 002.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 86

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beauty and a very well deserved BANNER find! :notworthy:

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful watch. I found a small, plain pocket watch in closed position. It is brass/copper. I dug it from a 1920-30's house dump about 12 years. I have been debating having a jeweler open it in my presence. Never know if it contains watch only; or an old photo; or perhaps, even a coin or two. Not an expensive pocketwatch, but still may contain a surprise.

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find. Congratz! Don't forget to post pics of the face when you get it opened :)

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good to hear from you MR :hello: And to see your great recovery !
Herons were popular imagery during the Victorian era, spurred by interest in Egyptology with the all the discoveries that were being made. Egyptian beliefs held that a person could return after death in the form of a heron. Suspender clips with similar herons below. Congrats on the banner and HH to you, Herbie.

Great info steelhead! I have found early glass (broken pieces of carnival glass) with herons on it, and your comments make sense on the heron and the interest in those days.

the gold pocket watch is great!! :thumbsup: and the old metal Merry Widows gave me a laugh too, as back in about 72 I found one of those and did not know what the Merry Widows tin was, and while talking to my father long distance on the telephone, asked him about Merry Widows and he sheepishly had to explain to me what they were! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions