Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just for fun... I already know what it is.. but do you.

Found this earlier this summer.....one of neatest coins to date.

Haven,t tried to clean it any further as I,m scared to damage it as it is a high priced coin if in good shape.

PS..

RICK your not allowed to guess--I know you know what it is.

2013-09-03 09.06.07.jpg 2013-09-03 09.07.00.jpg

Upvote 0

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The pics aren't clear enough to zoom in on

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAHA--

yes IP--..RICK has already seen the coin in person..

Congrats on the correct ID.....

I,ll wait to tell what the reverse side is---see if anyone can guess.

Wish the coin was in better shape... as its worth quite a bit even in the current condition

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Yeah those tokens are rarely seen or found outside if the maritimes from what I understand, you're lucky to have one!

Btw, mine is in about the same shape as yours (wink)

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ty DON and IRON HORSE

would that coin come any cleaner if say a professional cleaned it.?

I,m too scared to try myself as I might completely ruin it.

However if it would come much cleaner its value would increase dramatically.

I,m a newb at this stuff--- have already tried to clean a few of my coppers when I first started but only made them much worse....now I only clean them enough to be able to identify what they are.
I don,t plan on selling them but would be very nice to have them in good shape.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got in from a long day, with ZDD
Could have told you it would be too easy for IP, that's where I go when I need help.
I think it looks pretty good as is, Can see the most of it, but if you want to go a little further try a little room temp. HP on a q-tip.
Like said it is a fairly rare coin dug, or otherwise. Good find (I'd like one of those...for sure)

EDIT;

PS remember to reply to others posts like that 1710 french silver one, :laughing7:

Last edited:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
ty DON and IRON HORSE

would that coin come any cleaner if say a professional cleaned it.?

I,m too scared to try myself as I might completely ruin it.

However if it would come much cleaner its value would increase dramatically.

I,m a newb at this stuff--- have already tried to clean a few of my coppers when I first started but only made them much worse....now I only clean them enough to be able to identify what they are.
I don,t plan on selling them but would be very nice to have them in good shape.

Ah the never ending and controversial debate about cleaning dug coppers....yeah it is a kind of scarce coin and whether there is an amount of value you can place on it providing you are going to keep it doesn't make much difference. Keep in mind it can be cleaned at any time in the future but if it is over cleaned or ruined by the "not right for that coin" method there's no turning back the result. I choose to not clean my finds, others feel that eye appeal and displayability are factors that make them choose to clean a coin. I'm not going to tell you what to do with your find; but there a hundreds of others on this forum who will gladly suggest ways of stripping away patina and the look if age to your token.
All I can say is choose wisely, you already eluded that you had adverse effects of attempting cleaning other coins, so maybe this isn't one you want to play with yourself. As for expert cleaning, I personally don't believe there is such a thing, each dug coin has its own unique set of circumstances that allow it become a better example or it may be the best it's going to be right now, who knows?
Weigh the pros and cons and decide, but take all the advice you receive with a grain of salt

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit it with a peroxide soak and some brushing to thin the corrosion, maybe 2-3 times and it will get better, and the odds are greatly in favor it will get better and not worse because the peroxide doesn't affect the metal, and you do have some detail under there. That said, there's no point in factoring in the value because there will never be much, so just do it to have a little better looking coin.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ty for the advice guys

I,ll maybe try the peroxide on a different coin as this coin is worth $200 in its current state.

Just hoping for a magical solution to cleaning my coins.......

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ty for the advice guys

I,ll maybe try the peroxide on a different coin as this coin is worth $200 in its current state.

Just hoping for a magical solution to cleaning my coins.......

Most definitely not worth anything close to $200 like that, or even if it cleaned up well. I have a fairly nice one only three feet from where I'm sitting typing this message and it's value is under $300. It's only worth a fraction of $200... and under $50 most likely. Just not rare enough to have value in that condition, unfortunately.

But it still wouldn't hurt to practice on others because it's a good find and worth the effort.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice catch on the copper, and it'd be getting a splash in the HP just to take off some of the crud if I had it. Looking at the edges there's already heavy pitting so the value is less like IP stated, but the HP will make it look a whole lot better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread