8 Feet down and Hundreds of miles from home! Amber Flask Sees the Light Again!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hello all you treasure hunters. It's been way too long since I've posted here and I am very sorry for my absence from the greatest treasure web site around. It's been a very busy summer in northern Indiana. Nice weather this week told me to go out and dig some more. So Don and I got permission to slay a few pits on an open lot that had houses dating to the early 1890's. So we set up our tent and commenced to tossing some dirt. But first we had to take out the sod, then blast our way through the cement of a long forgotten garage or stables floor.:BangHead: Once we did that we discovered a layer of bricks. More fun:icon_scratch: After an hour of getting through that we finally began to see a clearing of plain ole dirty dirt, or should I say privy dirt.
As we dug through several layers of ash and sand caps we finally hit pay dirt. At around 8 feet we hit the use layer full of broken glass, pottery and cryers! You know the blasted goodies that you could only wish came out whole. But then I finally had a nice Hutch bottle from Hammond Indiana show. A keeper for sure. Then out of no where dropped this nice beautiful amber strap side flask. We don't see these very often and rarely a slug plate with a name on it. It flipped it over to my surprise to see that it was embossed. Geo. L. Miller Wholesale Liquor Dealer Junction City Kansas. Whoooopie....A marked flask. With no issues other than some mineral deposits. After a nice cleaning at home it looks even better. A nice little half pint!! Not sure how rare it may be but I would consider it a nice western flask. So all around it was a great day to dig and we let a flask see the light of day after a 120 year slumber.
I have yet to gather the finds from a week ago and have plans on making a huge post on what I believe is one of the greatest privies I've been a part of since I began digging. We are still cleaning them and will post as soon as we get the photos taken. It blew away all of us and I hope you stick around to see it very soon. Take care and be safe out there. jgas

Attachments

• G1.jpg
    G1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 184
  • G2.jpg
    G2.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 192
  • G3.jpg
    G3.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 190
  • G4.jpg
    G4.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 185
  • G5.jpg
    G5.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 190
  • G6.jpg
    G6.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 167
  • G7.jpg
    G7.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 184
  • G8.jpg
    G8.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 182
  • G9.jpg
    G9.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 192
  • G10.jpg
    G10.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 190
Upvote 14

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a Heck of a hole!!! Glad you found some goodies at the bottom!!!

alderan33

Oct 15, 2010
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I
Garrett Pro Pointer
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow!! I would have given up at 7 feet, 11 inches. You must have really worked hard for those. Congrats and thanks for Sharing.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Awesome! Well worth the trouble, it appears. Looking forward to your next post! :occasion14:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool digs, loving the embossed flask. WTG on the deep dig, you earned it for sure.

justdugcrazy

Aug 6, 2013
Congrats my friend persistence pays off my friend and the smile says it all VICTORY LOL congrats again super awesome finds even though all the hard work but it sure payed off!!!!! KEEP DIGGIN AND KEEP POSTIN

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lovely amber flask. :hello2: Congrats on the Hutchinson, too. Man, you fellas worked hard for those keepers. Keep digging! (and posting)

HH

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
VERY impressive! may I ask . . . with all that cement (and bricks!) how did you know a privy was under there??!! (I'm serious)

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GAS !!!! Finally your back ! Just dont know what to say about the amber flask ,,,, Want to trade !!!8-) What is the other hutch. Congrats on a great dig,I'm thinking that flask is a good one . Cant wait to see the dig your teasing us with.

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Thanks for the great replies everyone and it is good to be back at it again. Parson, the pit was found through the sidewall of another pit that was right next to it. We were able to find one and then when we dig we always probe to the sides to see if there is another next door. Started out with a post 1900 pit, then next to that was a 1895 pit then this one went a little earlier, possibly 1890.
Hey Pikes yea the teaser has this pit looking like kids play. Can't wait to post it. You will flip at the goodies we pulled up. Lets just say that 1850 and earlier stuff were filling our take home bag! More soon my friend. jgas

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
way to go on the amber flask and the other bottles! we're going to dig a 12 foot Rock hole this weekend. it starts off in the teens and hopefully it'll get older maybe we'll find brown cokes mini jugs or poisons. Keep digging!

Captain_Ahab

Aug 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that bottle really cleaned up beautifully! What technique do you use to clean your bottles?

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jgas you are one hard core digger that's for sure. What a fantastic group of bottles WTG.
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions