1841 Large Cent and Musket Parts

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Tools Little Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still hunting around the early 1800's homestead near my house and came across a few more goodies. Found some horse tack buckles, another belt buckle, some flat buttons (one with a little gilt still on it) a Coronet large cent with the date worn off , an 1841 large cent, and a 1 1/4" decorative button or medallion ?? (shown front and back). I also found a well worn 1824 large cent and an 1879 IH penny that I gave to the property owner in a shadow box along with some other interesting items I had found. There's a whole other field that will be hayed shortly, so that will open up a whole new search area.

Also pictured are the fore end, trigger guard and side plate of an early musket. I posted these on the What Is It site and the jury is still out as to exactly what gun they are from. A close match seems to be a Model 1816 Springfield.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_1248.JPG IMG_1249.JPG IMG_1250.JPG IMG_1251.JPG

IMG_1252.JPG

Upvote 13

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of fines!

I found an 1846 LC jut the other day. Must've been a good decade for losing pennies. ;)

Thanks for sharing.
HH!

OP
OP
Metdet49

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Tools Little Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds... a large cent, a nice dandy button, a batwing buckle... You've got a pretty good spot to hunt. :thumbsup:

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those gun parts...I'm thinking there are more there...looks like it may have been a complete lost gun...keep hitting it!

OP
OP
Metdet49

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love those gun parts...I'm thinking there are more there...looks like it may have been a complete lost gun...keep hitting it!

Thanks Romeo. Oddly these 3 parts were not together but were a few feet apart. I rechecked the area yesterday, but didn't find any other parts, but I have not given up.

OP
OP
Metdet49

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent finds... a large cent, a nice dandy button, a batwing buckle... You've got a pretty good spot to hunt. :thumbsup:

Thanks Evolution. This field has been a target rich environment and I have made several nice finds including 4 large cents, an IH, a token, nice crotal bell and 2 of these batwing buckles. I also turned up a 1935 NYS Dog Tag, the newest keeper item I've found.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hadn't forgotten about you. I've done a bit more research and it's my thought that your parts could possibly have come from a "Contract" Model 1816 Musket. These were basically the 1816 Springfield produced under contract by other makers. I found a photo online which looked to have a brass nose cap, but I lost the link. There's a good chance the rest of the gun is there, but all the rest of the parts will be iron, so you'll have to run in iron mode to have a chance of finding them.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your in the zone Metdet49, you have some really nice finds there. Keep digging that area where the gun pieces were found, maybe dig a 10' x 10" area down a ft or so and hit it with the detector again.
Good luck,
ZDD

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a great days hunt. Congrats :icon_thumleft:

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice old coins and relics! I hope you can pull a lot more from that site, keep it up :icon_thumleft:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. This is the type of metal detecting that I strive for. Personally, I'd rather find a large cent than a half dozen silver Roosevelts. Buckles, badges, medals and tokens...that's my kind of detecting. Nice going!

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some more things on my check list I'd like to find.

OP
OP
Metdet49

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hadn't forgotten about you. I've done a bit more research and it's my thought that your parts could possibly have come from a "Contract" Model 1816 Musket. These were basically the 1816 Springfield produced under contract by other makers. I found a photo online which looked to have a brass nose cap, but I lost the link. There's a good chance the rest of the gun is there, but all the rest of the parts will be iron, so you'll have to run in iron mode to have a chance of finding them.

Not a problem Ken, I just wanted to get a post up on these and some of the other finds at the site. I appreciate the research you're putting in on this. I think your contract idea sounds plausible and it seems we're at least pretty sure it is a Model 1816, that's the main thing. I will be continuing my hunt to try to locate more of the gun in the near future. Thanks again Ken.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...........I have a Flintlock pistol minus the trigger guard with the same parts....but that trigger guard is from a Musket

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions