1936 Buffalo Nickel, 2 Rooses, 41 & 47 Nickel, 5 wheats to 1920 & Avon Ring

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
1936 Buffalo Nickel, 2 Rooses, 41 & 47 Nickel, 5 wheats to 1920 & Avon Ring

This was a test hunt to see weather or not my karma was affected. I believe my karma is still on the up and up. But I’m Catholic and we don’t call it karma, we say you’ve been blessed. I even had a friendly talk with the security that patrols the sites. They wanted to give me a job.

Anyway, I was blessed with a 1936 Buffalo Nickel, 41 War Nickel, 5 wheats with the oldest being 1920 and an adjustable Avon junk ring. I kicked the ring up, the scraper just missed it. Dang, that ring gave me an adrenalin rush when I first saw it. I also found an assortment of other stuff.

HH
AKA Ant the Leprechaun, now where's me gold.

Attachments

• Keepers.JPG
    Keepers.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 661
  • Rosies.JPG
    Rosies.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 594
  • Bufalo Nickel 2 Date.JPG
    Bufalo Nickel 2 Date.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 604
  • Bufalo Nickel 1.JPG
    Bufalo Nickel 1.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 611
  • Trash.JPG
    Trash.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 626
  • Stuff.JPG
    Stuff.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 601
  • Green Stones.JPG
    Green Stones.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 621
  • Avon Junk Ring 2.JPG
    Avon Junk Ring 2.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 594
  • Avon Junk Ring.JPG
    Avon Junk Ring.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 645
Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Re: 1936 Buffalo Nickel, 2 Rooses, 41 War Nickel, 5 wheats to 1920 & a Avon Ring

Nice pile of stuff Ant... that place is a winner! our pics also help get a real feel for the finds. :)

I have a few old Avon rings as well... and a little Avon whistle.

Anyway... wtg!

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1936 Buffalo Nickel, 2 Rooses, 41 War Nickel, 5 wheats to 1920 & a Avon Ring

Nice job Ant. That ring would have got me going too. I would say you had a great day. Congrats on the nice finds and keep up the karma...ugh...blessing....lol.

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, Eagle Spectrum, Fisher 1235-X, 1280-X
Re: 1936 Buffalo Nickel, 2 Rooses, 41 War Nickel, 5 wheats to 1920 & a Avon Rin

That looks like a great place to hunt, Ant.

Great pics too

Tom

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Another neat day...i love the background that comes with your finds

HH
-GC

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds and pics

SilverDreams

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2005
Vinemont, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great job!

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

Ant,
In a lot of your pictures, it looks like the soil condition is always rock hard and dusty dry and most finds are at a decent depth (3"+)
What is the history of the soil there? I would think that when the items were lost that the area must have been grass-covered, etc. and now maybe the area has been graded with the top layer stripped off?
I would assume that the soil was NOT like it appears in your pics when these coins and rings were lost. You might have addressed this in earlier posts so if you have, I apologize for asking you to repeat the scenario.

Dan

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe

Nice finds! It looks like you had a great time!!

FYI ~ 1941 are not War Nickels, the war nickel series started in mid-1942 to 1945. You can tell the War nickel series by the big mint-mark on the back above the Monticello building. Also, when you're talking about dug coins, war nickels don't turn that orange rusty color like all the other nickels do.

TAKE CARE!!
Neil (oddcoins)

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

Danimal said:
Ant,
In a lot of your pictures, it looks like the soil condition is always rock hard and dusty dry and most finds are at a decent depth (3"+)
What is the history of the soil there? I would think that when the items were lost that the area must have been grass-covered, etc. and now maybe the area has been graded with the top layer stripped off?
I would assume that the soil was NOT like it appears in your pics when these coins and rings were lost. You might have addressed this in earlier posts so if you have, I apologize for asking you to repeat the scenario.

Dan

Thanks for the kind word everyone.

Hi Danimal.
I see what you are getting at and yes, grass was originally at these locations. The path you are going on is correct and I don’t want to say to much as that might reveal my spot, the trail you’re going down is the right one.

I can say this.

The trend that I’ve noticed at this location is depicted in the illustration. As far as soil, all of SoCal is virtually a desert right now and the ground is rock hard when you get down as deep as that. The soils look like that on the lower alluvial plains around here. We have been
without rain for quite some time, thought it’s threatening to rain right now.

The construction activity is called a “Cut and Fill”, not actually a clean scrape/cut. The high spots have been cut down, and the low spots have been filled. So I’m not able to hunt in some places.

I noted the trends when only heavy equipment was working the area (before the Cut and Fill), i.e. I hunted where the tires or tracks had exposed the blue target area you see can see in my illustration. So, I knew what the area looked like before construction started. It’s taken me over a year on and off to develop this site.

If you want more you cam PM me but, it looks like you already know what to look for. Your avatar is the coolest along with the dude that uses the GEICO caveman.

Hi oddcoins.
Thanks for pointing that out and I’ll edit that. I concede, I blew it. Thanks again.

HH

AKA, Ant the Leprechaun, now where's me gold.

Attachments

• Soil Classification Chart.JPG
    Soil Classification Chart.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 553

bongo1962

Feb 4, 2007
Buick City
Re: 1936 Buffalo Nickel, 2 Rooses, 41 & 47 Nickel, 5 wheats to 1920 & Avon Ring

Nice superman marble. Bongo

One Mans Trash is Another Mans Treasure

TxTim

Silver Member