🥇 BANNER The One We Have Waited For, Privy Heaven!!!!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hello all treasure freaks this is the one we have waited for. The one I gave a little teaser trailer on with the previous digs that I posted. This one took a bit to get it all together and all cleaned up after the fantastic dig that we had just unearthed. I suppose it all started a few years ago with the first pit that we had dug and discovered what a great hobby it was to actually dig up history. Several hundred pits later and we finally hit a privy that I think will go down as one of the best experiences I have had treasure hunting.
It started out with some luck, then we added just a little bit more luck and topped it off with a whole lot of luck! The timing was crazy too. Started off by just driving around to see where the excavators were digging up a bit of a parking lot. Found one pretty close to the city center so we thought we had a good chance to check it out. So we waited for the workers to stop for the day, then Gary had to probe it for the pits. It was late and he actually found a good one. But it was too late to dig with no lights. Kinda dangerous. :tongue3: So the next day came around and the excavators were back at it. So we waited for our time to pounce on it after he stopped pushing dirt around. He was so close to the privy that I just had to say something to the dozer driver. Usually I hate to interrupt their work but this one we had to take a chance. As luck would have it he said that he was almost done for the day and that he would leave the pit area alone, but just for one day. So all or nothing for tonight. One chance to dig this pit that we knew would be great. Gary had found a pontil Canker Balsam bottle right on top. Figuring everything below would be just as old or older. So at a feverish pitch we began to excavate what would be an unbelievable evening.

So it was Don, myself and Gary going at it. You have to be super careful because pontil bottles are fragile. Down about 5 feet we hit the top of the "Use Layer". Pontil Heaven!!:headbang: We started to hit Scroll Flasks like it was the factory for them. One after another after another. Aqua, then the great site of an amber one. What a great day to be a digger. The amber one alone is huge. I'm sure it would bring a pretty penny all by itself. Then a kinda heart breaker one. A true Sapphire color scroll flask with the top knocked off. But still an incredible find. Then more aqua scrolls, pints and half pint. Then we hot a streak of medicines, cures and bitters bottles. All iron or open pontil bottles. All dating to around 1850. Crazy time had by all. The medicines saw the light of day for the first time in over 150 years. Radway RRR pontils, Dr. Bakers Pain Panacea, Dr. Wrights Indian Vegetable Syrup, Budd's Bone Wound Liniment, Ayers Cherry Pectoral all pontiled. Then a great looking C.T. Hughes & Co pepper sauce with an open pontil. Some miscellaneous unmarked tubular bottles and 4 Iron Pontil Udolpho Wolfe's Aromatic Schnapps that were iron pontil. Then 9 John Moffat Phoenix Bitters showed their faces after a century of slumber. Unbelievable. That's all we could say to each other.

Then to finish the pit Gary found a great Ravina Glass Company Travelers Companion flask in amber. And a nice ale tri mold bottle was picked out as well. Everything we pulled out was either Iron Pontil or open pontil. I could not believe the privy that we had all just experienced and captured forever on film. All tallied we pulled over 50 pontil bottles from the pit that just might surpass the $5,000 mark. But no matter what the price we eventually get for them it will never pass the amount of fun and great times we had spent just wondering how very lucky we were to get to dig this pit. Once in a few hundred privies we may get the chance, but we know reality, this may never ever happen again. A once in a lifetime chance really, but it sure paid off in good times and the fact that we can be treasure hunters in this great country and share this history with everyone! Thanks for looking everyone, be safe out there and we hope to do some more digging real soon. Until next time, jgas

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,159
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,121
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,647
  • p4.jpg
    p4.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,571
  • p5.jpg
    p5.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,027
  • p6.jpg
    p6.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,684
  • p7.jpg
    p7.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,041
  • p8.jpg
    p8.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,020
  • p9.jpg
    p9.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 978
  • p10.jpg
    p10.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,049
  • p11.jpg
    p11.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,260
  • p12.jpg
    p12.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 8,095
  • p13.jpg
    p13.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,035
  • p14.jpg
    p14.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 985
  • p15.jpg
    p15.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,089
  • p16.jpg
    p16.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,069
  • p17.jpg
    p17.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,050
  • p18.jpg
    p18.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,015
  • p19.jpg
    p19.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 744
  • p20.jpg
    p20.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,052
  • p21.jpg
    p21.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,662
  • p22.jpg
    p22.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,034
  • p23.jpg
    p23.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 981
  • p24.jpg
    p24.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 699
  • p25.jpg
    p25.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,036
  • p26.jpg
    p26.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,044
  • p27.jpg
    p27.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,039
  • p28.jpg
    p28.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,058
  • p29.jpg
    p29.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 748
  • p30.jpg
    p30.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,033
  • p31.jpg
    p31.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,614
  • p32.jpg
    p32.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,006
  • p33.jpg
    p33.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 957
  • p34.jpg
    p34.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 995
  • p35.jpg
    p35.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 739
  • p36.jpg
    p36.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 990
  • p37.jpg
    p37.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,035
  • p38.jpg
    p38.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 749
Upvote 74

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know anything about bottle collecting but It's amazing that most of them are in one piece. Why are they all in one spot? Were the early settlers into recycling?

These were dug out of a "privy" which is another word for an outhouse. They were also used as trash pits since there was no city trash collection. Since the bottom of the hole was ummm....soft..... a lot of glass survived.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
attachment.php

Killer sauce, this Hughes. My Zumwalt is packed away somewhere, so I've not got the bigger picture, but this is an age point for you.

"Pickles, Preserves, Sauces, etc. Two establishments. — Twelve
hands ; value of product, twenty-five thousand dollars ; raw m'ate-
rial, 40 per cent.

C. T. Hughes, & Co., 1 Hopple's Alley, put up pickles, preserves,
sauces, catsups, and hermetically sealed articles, warranted to keep
in all climates. Their customers are in every part of the south
and south-west." Full text of "Sketches and statistics of Cincinnati in 1851"

books

DanKnug

Jun 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some truly fantastic finds! Was it any problem to get permission to dig? No problems from the local police wanting to know what you were doing?

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all the fantastic replies everyone. And thanks for all the banner votes. It was truly a fantastic dig for all of us. The "fire" in the hole was just a craftsman flashlight as it was getting too dark to see. The pictures appear to be a fire. As for permission, the police never bother us. In fact they come and watch us all the time being that I am one. LOL...It does take time and research to look up the maps, the area as it was back then. Then the probing for pits is hard on the body as well. But as you can see it was well worth the dig. Not sure if we will ever find anything like this again but we will surely try and try again! Thanks again for all the great replies and kudos, it is much appreciated. Keep on Digging Treasure my friends! jgas

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the fantastic replies everyone. And thanks for all the banner votes. It was truly a fantastic dig for all of us. The "fire" in the hole was just a craftsman flashlight as it was getting too dark to see. The pictures appear to be a fire. As for permission, the police never bother us. In fact they come and watch us all the time being that I am one. LOL...It does take time and research to look up the maps, the area as it was back then. Then the probing for pits is hard on the body as well. But as you can see it was well worth the dig. Not sure if we will ever find anything like this again but we will surely try and try again! Thanks again for all the great replies and kudos, it is much appreciated. Keep on Digging Treasure my friends! jgas

Thanks for the answer hahahaha. I was way off! Awesome find you get my vote as well

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
These were dug out of a "privy" which is another word for an outhouse. They were also used as trash pits since there was no city trash collection. Since the bottom of the hole was ummm....soft..... a lot of glass survived.

Jason thanks for informing me. I remember my aunt and uncle had an outhouse that they didn't use any longer because they had upgraded to in house plumbing but they would keep a wooden box on the side of it full of dry corn husks just for show.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason thanks for informing me. I remember my aunt and uncle had an outhouse that they didn't use any longer because they had upgraded to in house plumbing but they would keep a wooden box on the side of it full of dry corn husks just for show.

The thing with privy holes is that they got full, so they would move a little ways over and dig a new one and fill the other one with dirt. Since most of this was over 100 years ago, any bad material or bacteria, etc has long since disappeared. So you might have some good bottle digging if they let you.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
attachment.php

Salutations, JGas,

I trust you guys are still basking in the afterglow of this dig. I'd be ecstatically fondling, and studying that glass, had I been one of you fortunate few. I wanna see more photos of everything! I've been digging for many moons, and have only turned up shards of a Scroll on two occasions. My friend Steve has a new website that features some scrolls you might enjoy: Scroll Flasks 1828 to 1875 - Historical American Glass

attachment.php

Another fantastic piece of glass from an historic Midwestern glass house. My kinda psykness, too, it appears. See page 9 here for some history of the Ravenna Glass Works: http://www.case.edu/artsci/wrss/documents/Zimmerman_004.pdf For those who like auction results, here's a notable one: Lot 134: "Traveler's / (Star) / Companion" - "Ravenna / (Star) / Glass Co" Flask, GXIV-3

attachment.php

...Some miscellaneous unmarked tubular bottles and 4 Iron Pontil Udolpho Wolfe's Aromatic Schnapps that were iron pontil. Then 9 John Moffat Phoenix Bitters showed their faces after a century of slumber. Unbelievable...

If the tubular ones you mentioned are in the group to the left in the back rows, I'd say you found a raft of Godfrey's Cordials, with perhaps a Dalby's or two. Pediatricians are still talking about them: WHAT WERE GODFREY'S CORDIAL AND DALBY'S CARMINATIVE?

011.jpg

I know many, if not most TNetters are not bottle diggers, or particular aficionados, but I'm actually mystified that more members are not apparently recognizing a Legendary Dig, when they see one. Nine Phoenix Bitters, damn!

attachment.php

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
WOW! That is a banner pit all day. Those are some great finds. Most treasure hunters don't know how rare it is to dig bottles of this age and quality. The blue scroll would be a good one to get repaired. You got my vote. Thanks for sharing! DDinPA.

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks everyone for the continued kudos on the dig of a lifetime. In fact we have been kicking around the idea of repairing the sapphire scroll. Not sure of anyone who might do that though. I could use some guidance in that direction if anyone knows. I/ we are humbled by the banner votes that's for sure. I'm still shaking my head whenever I look at these little beauties! Thanks again everyone. Jgas

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never collected a bottle in my life, but you gotta love the history you found- way to get r done!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm in awe,your finds are simply beautiful.i have always been intrigued by old bottles and hope to find some old ones one day intact.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOOD LORD, what a great dig! I know you guys are on cloud NINE! But, never say never. There are always new pits to find, and no one can ever say it's "the best one I'll ever dig." Who knows what the next pit will reveal.

Congrats!

-Buck

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, to dig that many old, very old bottles at one site is simply amazing! Out here I've yet to even see a older pontil, so to view your finds got me salivating like Pavlov's Dog!
Beautiful bottles, and what killer variety!
Kudos, Mucho Kudos!
Carl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread