🥇 BANNER The One We Have Waited For, Privy Heaven!!!!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hello all treasure freaks this is the one we have waited for. The one I gave a little teaser trailer on with the previous digs that I posted. This one took a bit to get it all together and all cleaned up after the fantastic dig that we had just unearthed. I suppose it all started a few years ago with the first pit that we had dug and discovered what a great hobby it was to actually dig up history. Several hundred pits later and we finally hit a privy that I think will go down as one of the best experiences I have had treasure hunting.
It started out with some luck, then we added just a little bit more luck and topped it off with a whole lot of luck! The timing was crazy too. Started off by just driving around to see where the excavators were digging up a bit of a parking lot. Found one pretty close to the city center so we thought we had a good chance to check it out. So we waited for the workers to stop for the day, then Gary had to probe it for the pits. It was late and he actually found a good one. But it was too late to dig with no lights. Kinda dangerous. :tongue3: So the next day came around and the excavators were back at it. So we waited for our time to pounce on it after he stopped pushing dirt around. He was so close to the privy that I just had to say something to the dozer driver. Usually I hate to interrupt their work but this one we had to take a chance. As luck would have it he said that he was almost done for the day and that he would leave the pit area alone, but just for one day. So all or nothing for tonight. One chance to dig this pit that we knew would be great. Gary had found a pontil Canker Balsam bottle right on top. Figuring everything below would be just as old or older. So at a feverish pitch we began to excavate what would be an unbelievable evening.

So it was Don, myself and Gary going at it. You have to be super careful because pontil bottles are fragile. Down about 5 feet we hit the top of the "Use Layer". Pontil Heaven!!:headbang: We started to hit Scroll Flasks like it was the factory for them. One after another after another. Aqua, then the great site of an amber one. What a great day to be a digger. The amber one alone is huge. I'm sure it would bring a pretty penny all by itself. Then a kinda heart breaker one. A true Sapphire color scroll flask with the top knocked off. But still an incredible find. Then more aqua scrolls, pints and half pint. Then we hot a streak of medicines, cures and bitters bottles. All iron or open pontil bottles. All dating to around 1850. Crazy time had by all. The medicines saw the light of day for the first time in over 150 years. Radway RRR pontils, Dr. Bakers Pain Panacea, Dr. Wrights Indian Vegetable Syrup, Budd's Bone Wound Liniment, Ayers Cherry Pectoral all pontiled. Then a great looking C.T. Hughes & Co pepper sauce with an open pontil. Some miscellaneous unmarked tubular bottles and 4 Iron Pontil Udolpho Wolfe's Aromatic Schnapps that were iron pontil. Then 9 John Moffat Phoenix Bitters showed their faces after a century of slumber. Unbelievable. That's all we could say to each other.

Then to finish the pit Gary found a great Ravina Glass Company Travelers Companion flask in amber. And a nice ale tri mold bottle was picked out as well. Everything we pulled out was either Iron Pontil or open pontil. I could not believe the privy that we had all just experienced and captured forever on film. All tallied we pulled over 50 pontil bottles from the pit that just might surpass the $5,000 mark. But no matter what the price we eventually get for them it will never pass the amount of fun and great times we had spent just wondering how very lucky we were to get to dig this pit. Once in a few hundred privies we may get the chance, but we know reality, this may never ever happen again. A once in a lifetime chance really, but it sure paid off in good times and the fact that we can be treasure hunters in this great country and share this history with everyone! Thanks for looking everyone, be safe out there and we hope to do some more digging real soon. Until next time, jgas

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,159
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,121
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,647
  • p4.jpg
    p4.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,571
  • p5.jpg
    p5.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,027
  • p10.jpg
    p10.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,049
  • p9.jpg
    p9.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 978
  • p8.jpg
    p8.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,020
  • p7.jpg
    p7.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,041
  • p6.jpg
    p6.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,684
  • p11.jpg
    p11.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,260
  • p12.jpg
    p12.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 8,095
  • p13.jpg
    p13.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,035
  • p14.jpg
    p14.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 985
  • p15.jpg
    p15.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,089
  • p20.jpg
    p20.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,052
  • p19.jpg
    p19.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 744
  • p18.jpg
    p18.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,015
  • p17.jpg
    p17.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,050
  • p16.jpg
    p16.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,069
  • p21.jpg
    p21.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,662
  • p22.jpg
    p22.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,034
  • p23.jpg
    p23.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 981
  • p24.jpg
    p24.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 699
  • p25.jpg
    p25.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,036
  • p30.jpg
    p30.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,033
  • p29.jpg
    p29.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 748
  • p28.jpg
    p28.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,058
  • p27.jpg
    p27.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,039
  • p26.jpg
    p26.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,044
  • p35.jpg
    p35.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 739
  • p34.jpg
    p34.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 995
  • p33.jpg
    p33.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 957
  • p32.jpg
    p32.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,006
  • p31.jpg
    p31.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,614
  • p36.jpg
    p36.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 990
  • p37.jpg
    p37.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,035
  • p38.jpg
    p38.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 749
Upvote 74

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, the bottles with the color and the lettering are just beautiful. Second, I'd like to know how deep those holes are you're working in?
This looks a like a really big excavation job going on here. I'm a landscape contr., been digging holes for a living my whole life. I have to say you guys are digging some pretty deep holes......
Very curious about how much time you spent on this hunt? Was it really just a one night deal and that's it? Were you working in the dark?

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow...Great finds...

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hi wild carrot, the digs per hole usually take around 4 hours with two of us going at it. This particular site was a new parking lot going in so the area around the privy was turned up. The hole was about 6 feet deep and jammed with pontils. Very heavy use later. We started around 5 pm and ended up close to 9 pm after dark. Gotta be careful digging that deep and in the dark no less. But we never dig alone. Might never see a privy like that again but it was one to remember that's for sure. Thanks for the reply. Jgas.

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Yep we made it in tha magazine. What a great feeling it is. Very humbling that's for sure. W&E Treasures is a great magazine and with people like Rosemary and Steve running it, it's a winning combo. Thanks for the kudos. Jgas

saksall1935

Greenie
Oct 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi everyone, i love all kinds of treasure hunting weather its metal detecting bottle hunting, or hunting gold, but i must say some of the bottle finds i have found where realy treasures warner safe with the labels are the most spectactular that i have ever found, if you have never seen one well the lable covers the whole bottle including the neck,and are printed with every kind of cure known to man , when i found these bottles i knew nothing about the historical value,i just loved the look of an old bottle, and i guess thats is why i cleaned the lables off, that was45 years ago ben hanging my head ever since. thats a great picture , surf. saksall 1935 thanks for the welcome.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saksall, sorry to say Surf passed away last May. We miss him still

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread