🥇 BANNER The One We Have Waited For, Privy Heaven!!!!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hello all treasure freaks this is the one we have waited for. The one I gave a little teaser trailer on with the previous digs that I posted. This one took a bit to get it all together and all cleaned up after the fantastic dig that we had just unearthed. I suppose it all started a few years ago with the first pit that we had dug and discovered what a great hobby it was to actually dig up history. Several hundred pits later and we finally hit a privy that I think will go down as one of the best experiences I have had treasure hunting.
It started out with some luck, then we added just a little bit more luck and topped it off with a whole lot of luck! The timing was crazy too. Started off by just driving around to see where the excavators were digging up a bit of a parking lot. Found one pretty close to the city center so we thought we had a good chance to check it out. So we waited for the workers to stop for the day, then Gary had to probe it for the pits. It was late and he actually found a good one. But it was too late to dig with no lights. Kinda dangerous. :tongue3: So the next day came around and the excavators were back at it. So we waited for our time to pounce on it after he stopped pushing dirt around. He was so close to the privy that I just had to say something to the dozer driver. Usually I hate to interrupt their work but this one we had to take a chance. As luck would have it he said that he was almost done for the day and that he would leave the pit area alone, but just for one day. So all or nothing for tonight. One chance to dig this pit that we knew would be great. Gary had found a pontil Canker Balsam bottle right on top. Figuring everything below would be just as old or older. So at a feverish pitch we began to excavate what would be an unbelievable evening.

So it was Don, myself and Gary going at it. You have to be super careful because pontil bottles are fragile. Down about 5 feet we hit the top of the "Use Layer". Pontil Heaven!!:headbang: We started to hit Scroll Flasks like it was the factory for them. One after another after another. Aqua, then the great site of an amber one. What a great day to be a digger. The amber one alone is huge. I'm sure it would bring a pretty penny all by itself. Then a kinda heart breaker one. A true Sapphire color scroll flask with the top knocked off. But still an incredible find. Then more aqua scrolls, pints and half pint. Then we hot a streak of medicines, cures and bitters bottles. All iron or open pontil bottles. All dating to around 1850. Crazy time had by all. The medicines saw the light of day for the first time in over 150 years. Radway RRR pontils, Dr. Bakers Pain Panacea, Dr. Wrights Indian Vegetable Syrup, Budd's Bone Wound Liniment, Ayers Cherry Pectoral all pontiled. Then a great looking C.T. Hughes & Co pepper sauce with an open pontil. Some miscellaneous unmarked tubular bottles and 4 Iron Pontil Udolpho Wolfe's Aromatic Schnapps that were iron pontil. Then 9 John Moffat Phoenix Bitters showed their faces after a century of slumber. Unbelievable. That's all we could say to each other.

Then to finish the pit Gary found a great Ravina Glass Company Travelers Companion flask in amber. And a nice ale tri mold bottle was picked out as well. Everything we pulled out was either Iron Pontil or open pontil. I could not believe the privy that we had all just experienced and captured forever on film. All tallied we pulled over 50 pontil bottles from the pit that just might surpass the $5,000 mark. But no matter what the price we eventually get for them it will never pass the amount of fun and great times we had spent just wondering how very lucky we were to get to dig this pit. Once in a few hundred privies we may get the chance, but we know reality, this may never ever happen again. A once in a lifetime chance really, but it sure paid off in good times and the fact that we can be treasure hunters in this great country and share this history with everyone! Thanks for looking everyone, be safe out there and we hope to do some more digging real soon. Until next time, jgas

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,159
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,121
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,647
  • p4.jpg
    p4.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,571
  • p5.jpg
    p5.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,027
  • p10.jpg
    p10.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,049
  • p9.jpg
    p9.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 978
  • p8.jpg
    p8.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,020
  • p7.jpg
    p7.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,041
  • p6.jpg
    p6.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,684
  • p11.jpg
    p11.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,260
  • p12.jpg
    p12.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 8,095
  • p13.jpg
    p13.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,035
  • p14.jpg
    p14.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 985
  • p15.jpg
    p15.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,089
  • p20.jpg
    p20.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,052
  • p19.jpg
    p19.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 744
  • p18.jpg
    p18.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,015
  • p17.jpg
    p17.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,050
  • p16.jpg
    p16.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,069
  • p21.jpg
    p21.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,662
  • p22.jpg
    p22.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,034
  • p23.jpg
    p23.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 981
  • p24.jpg
    p24.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 699
  • p25.jpg
    p25.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,036
  • p30.jpg
    p30.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,033
  • p29.jpg
    p29.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 748
  • p28.jpg
    p28.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,058
  • p27.jpg
    p27.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,039
  • p26.jpg
    p26.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,044
  • p35.jpg
    p35.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 739
  • p34.jpg
    p34.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 995
  • p33.jpg
    p33.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 957
  • p32.jpg
    p32.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,006
  • p31.jpg
    p31.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,614
  • p36.jpg
    p36.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 990
  • p37.jpg
    p37.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,035
  • p38.jpg
    p38.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 749
Upvote 74

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful bottles!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
All I can say is WOW!! Not only did you guys make some great finds but the photos were great too! I loved those bottles and can appreciate how hard you had to work to get them. Great post.

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!!!! I have one question whats with the fire in the hole?? Awesome finds guys

Last edited:

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not a privy/bottle digger, but loved your story. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. I hunt old sites in the woods quite a bit and frequently come upon privy digs. A lot of them look like they were done 50 years ago, which is good for me because the metal detectors were not nearly as good and once I find a privy, I know I found an old home site and the old coins to go with it. Nice dig guys!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
What an epic dig. Makes me want to start digging privies. I can't imagine all of the hard work and research it would take to make a discovery like this one. Congratulations!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutly staggering, you never cease to amaze and inspire me Jgas. I have to set some time aside to start digging.:notworthy:
Those are some killer finds, very impressive.
Congrats
ZDD

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer dig. I think I could really get into excavating privies and collecting those old bottles. Those pieces were really works of art. Thanks for sharing a fantastic experience.

kray

Mar 21, 2010
SW Ct. Formerly N Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
E Trac
AT Pro
Nautilus 11Ba
MXT
M6
6000 DiPro
Omega
Bounty hunter TR550
Heathkit homemade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Amazing effort pays off!
Shouldn't this be banner worthy?

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
attachment.php

You weren't kidding, JGas! That is a bottle digger's Dream Dig! BANNER TIME for you, Don, and Gary!

I am so jumping up & down on behalf of you guys. There's a certain definitive kinda grinning going on amongst your compatriots. 8-) Have you had the big pick yet? Have you scoured the McKearin's for those guys yet?

For the non bottle folks; JGas and his friends have hit about 50 Homers in one game! Truly Historic American and imported glass bottles, several of them museum material.

Big Bravos, Gentlemen!

kgrhqzqwf-frzgdbqgfiu6w60_35.jpg

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that was an excellent dig on many levels. Finding such a quantity of pontils, especially without having to dig through 20+ feet of fill in a deep brickliner, is extraordinary.

As someone who is primarily a bottle digger/collector too (time-wise probably 98% bottle digging, 2% detecting) I often chuckle at the idea that I can go to a trusty big old bottle dump it would take months or years to dig through, and be almost guaranteed a pile of worthwhile finds whenever I feel like getting some exercise. I have to be in a particularly speculative and optimistic mood to go detecting instead, as there are 0 guarantees with the latter. My best detecting day lately netted 5 silvers, and compared to bottle digging, even if I was guaranteed at least 5 silvers every day of detecting, it would be a relative waste of time, as on my worst digs the stuff coming out might average 10-15 bucks of market value per hour. The good days, where the average can be over 100 bucks an hour, certainly sway my preference towards digging glass and stoneware rather than digging a bunch of junk metal and clad all day for an uncertain chance at a silver dime or two, lol. Having dug a number of items that alone are worth more than all my detecting finds combined kinda reinforces my high opinion of the bottle digging hobby. I also dig with relative ease straight through the winter, not possible with detecting here. I'm not at all trying to make this seem like it's about the money (I dig to enhance my collection first and foremost); just describing the positives of bottle digging in more accessible terms to the uninitiated.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the dig. Love the colored flasks, and just about everything else too. Thanks also for showing the detectorists here what kinds of treasures people swing their coils over in old yards all over the country every single day without ever knowing it. I started detecting in kindergarten thanks to my dad, and loved the thrill of the hunt and novelty of it all, but when I randomly discovered bottles, almost immediately I realized what my true calling was. :laughing7: I'm not saying 1 hobby is better than the other, but as it happened with me, I am positive there are some detectorists out there who would likewise realize their "true calling" if they got hands-on exposure to digging old glass. Hopefully this banner dig inspires a few to try it out. :icon_thumright:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to agree with Surf, Banner vote is in.
ZDD

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful bottles. You earned them with your research & hard work. This is one part of our hobby I'm not physically able to do. WTG.

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't know anything about bottle collecting but It's amazing that most of them are in one piece. Why are they all in one spot? Were the early settlers into recycling?

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gas , You 3 knocked it out !! I've always had dreams of a pit like yours ,,,,,,,,,,, Now I think ya turned em into nightmares !,I will be tossing and turning for weeks to come ! WHAT A PIT !!!! CONGRATS !!!! Love the pics , and every bottle !! My condolences on the blue scroll !! But the amber is fine. In 30 years we have dug 4 open pontils ( 3 of them were broke ),and 2 iron pontils. Keep it up !!! Waiting for more.:headbang::notworthy::occasion14: Oh,,, for sure got my vote,BANNER !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread