Still in Search for the Old Recreation Area

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I am still trying to pinpoint the exact location of the old recreation area near me. Yesterday, I talked to a gentleman that owns the property that borders the area I've been hunting. I had noticed a cinder block house on his property and contacted him to ask permission to hunt around it. When I called, his son answered the phone. I explained what I was researching, and not only did he grant permission to hunt the property, he asked me to stop by their house on my way to talk to his Father. He said his Father was 83 years old and remembered the area well.

Well, I did stop to see them yesterday and got quite a history lesson. We talked for an hour and a half. And of all the damned stupid mistakes I could make, I did not check the batteries in my tape recorder before leaving home. I got about 10 minutes of the conversation on tape before the batteries died.

Anyway, the red cinder block house on his property was actually built around 1960, not as old as I had originally thought. The current owner bought the property in 1999. It has a very colorful history, though, as it has been locally known as "The Party House" since it was built by the original owner. When I asked how it got the name of the party house, he told me the original owner (owners) used it for partying, drinking, gambling, womanizing, and moonshining.

As for the recreation area I have been researching, he pinpointed the location for me on my map. The area had a mineral spring, swimming area, dance hall, concession booths, and bath houses. I had previously been in the right general area, but my search had been about a hundred yards off. I did find the spring in an area of heavy brush.
The remains of the bottling plant had been bulldozed over the hill into a gulley. I found the remains of the concrete steps he had told me about, and a lot of debris such as bricks, cinder blocks, piping, and even large sections of an old iron fence.

The area where the dance hall, swimming area, and bath houses were at was clear, but I found nothing but a few beer cans. I believe too much dirt has been moved around in the area to ever be able to find anything.

The 5 memorial pennies, buttons, insulator, cartridge cases and .40 caliber bullet were found in front of the party house. The golf ball was by the pond. The other pics are of the old swimming and resort area.

Mike

Attachments

• Buttons & Butterfly.JPG
    Buttons & Butterfly.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 542
  • Casings & Bullet.JPG
    Casings & Bullet.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 543
  • Insulator & Golf Ball.JPG
    Insulator & Golf Ball.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 537
  • Pennies.JPG
    Pennies.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 528
  • Party House_2.JPG
    Party House_2.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 532
  • Rec Area_1.JPG
    Rec Area_1.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 531
  • Rec Area_5.JPG
    Rec Area_5.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 534
Upvote 0

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, talking to oldtimers always helps, Fossis..........................

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
TD,

half the fun is in the hunt.

Don't think I would give up on the area. Interesting
history and good research by you. Any old photos
or have you come across any old postcards of the
attractions? If you have a name, lots of the old
places sold post cards with photos on them. Lots
you can find on e-bay.

That "bottling plant" could give up some good finds in
glass.

Hope you keep it up at the location; that older person
could be a real gold mine for you, (not just for this location).

Love to be out there with you; sounds like the type of site/hunt
I enjoy. Even if the finds never come up big, just being able to
pull something up from the period would be a small victory ;D

Again,enjoy the hunt andhope you find a bunch.

Do keep us posted.

have a good up..................

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HMM how about the barn in the last pic

OP
OP
Trash Digger

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
TD,

you can find on e-bay.

glass.

I know the name of the place, but a library search through old newspapers and an e-bay hunt for old postcards have turned up nothing mentioning the place. A more detailed search may be necessary, but I hate to spend time in the library that can be spent in the field. I guess that's what rainy days are for. A lot of the old bottles and the heart shaped china dish I found about a month ago came from this area. A guy I work with has a mineral water bottle that came from the place. He told me I could have it if he can ever find where he put it.

That 83 year old fella wants to go there with me when the weather warms up a bit. He told me he would show me where everything used to be.

OP
OP
Trash Digger

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
aa battery said:
HMM how about the barn in the last pic

I found quite a few bottles about 50 yards away from that barn in a previous search. I also found a toy car, a couple of toy guns and a lot of trash not far from the barn.

Mike

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Trash Digger said:
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
TD,

you can find on e-bay.

glass.

I know the name of the place, but a library search through old newspapers and an e-bay hunt for old postcards have turned up nothing mentioning the place. A more detailed search may be necessary, but I hate to spend time in the library that can be spent in the field. I guess that's what rainy days are for. A lot of the old bottles and the heart shaped china dish I found about a month ago came from this area. A guy I work with has a mineral water bottle that came from the place. He told me I could have it if he can ever find where he put it.

That 83 year old fella wants to go there with me when the weather warms up a bit. He told me he would show me where everything used to be.

TD,

you got it made ;D :D :) ;)

have a good un............................

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
[/quote]

[/quote]

You got it made with that eyewitness help!!!! Good Luck !! :) :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions