Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Ace 250
TC3X
BH Texas Pilot
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I stated in my introductory post, I found a Prospector 100 MD at a flea market and purchased it for $10. Its just a cheap unit, probably not good for much but i was hopeful that it would help my grandson, Damen, who wants to get into the sport with me, a chance to explore and really start to enjoy the sport. Since my new Garrett Ace 250 will not arrive until Tuesday, and I was going up to do some work on our booths at the Texas Renaissance Festival, I decided to bring my grandson up with me and see if we could get some hunting in to get acquainted with the sport a little bit.

The night before, I had a really hard time getting the Prospector to pick up anything on my floor beyond 2 inches so I was very fearful that this Prospector would discourage him and that would be it with a 10 year old attention span being what it is. So on the way out to TRF, I decided to stop at a couple pawn shops to see if they had any better units to use. Well, at the third shop we visited, we were able to purchase a Bounty Hunter Quick Silver for $50.

Once we get to TRF, Damen was itching to use the Bounty Hunter....(not me of course...well ok mostly me ) . We get it out and look it over. Damen takes it out for a spin in the camping area and in our first 30 minutes, this is what we find.....

Mostly Pop Tops and one coin but man o man did we have fun looking.....

On our second attempt, an hour or so later, we found many more pop tops, a couple rivets from what may be leather tack, a tent stake, part of a pewter leaf and a clad quarter!

We dug many holes that we did not find anything....we found out last night while visiting some friends that TRF was build on an old iron ore mine.....that explains the false beeps....

This morning, we are just about to leave, walking back to the truck with the MD more or less just hanging as we walk, he finds another clad quarter....

I found several blisters on my hands from digging in the very hard dirt with a bulb planter....Yes, a small shovel is the NEXT thing I will be buying...I thought I had one in the booth but just found the bulb planters..

All in all, the best $50 I have ever spent. We both have the bug hard and we can't wait to get back out and do another hunt. We really had more fun doing this than anything we have ever done together...He now wants to start looking for Civil War sites....

Small Video of "Metal Dude"

Attachments

• IMG_20130907_161352_591.jpg
    IMG_20130907_161352_591.jpg
    913.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Damen Chair small.jpg
    Damen Chair small.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Damen with first Penny small.jpg
    Damen with first Penny small.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 96
  • First Loot small.jpg
    First Loot small.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Upvote 3

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, it's a good start and one of the most fun things you can do together.

WTG!

HH!

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super cool finds crawl walk run...dig everything!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread