Caltrop?

Beeps in my sleep

Sep 6, 2013
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found in front of a fort built in the 1700s to protect against indian attacks. Shippensburg also was invaded by 20,000 confederates during the civil war. I know setlers used to throw these out to stop Indians in pursuit but it also stopped calvary. Does this look like civil war or french and indian war to you guys? CAM_0464.JPG

Upvote 3

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is there 100% "warranted documentation" of any war, as to tactics used ?
sometimes during wars , things are suggested that they know just ain't right,
But in desperation are used.

a horse weighs how Much ? a marble would probably take care of a horse in the right circumstance, as could a child's jack
Perhaps they were against the rules of war to use them :dontknow: maybe that's why they are not documented, but this item posted looks to have been produced by a mould, most of the google images of Caltrops are nasty looking with sharper prongs, even the make shift ones that have been made up from barbed wire.

SS

Diggin'PA

Feb 11, 2013
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All-Pro, White's TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Jeff... ever step on a small lego that your kid dropped? OUCH!
is there 100% "warranted documentation" of any war, as to tactics used ?
sometimes during wars , things are suggested that they know just ain't right,
But in desperation are used.

a horse weighs how Much ? a marble would probably take care of a horse in the right circumstance, as could a child's jack

OP
OP
Beeps in my sleep

Beeps in my sleep

Sep 6, 2013
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All interesting points...I didn't mean to cause a war guys so I am sorry. Interesting thought though, remember many Confederates literally marched their shoes to pieces and were barefoot. They would have to steal boots off of the dead from both sides if they couldn't afford new ones. Even if this isn't what I thought it was and got so excited by finding, I wouldn't want to step on this barefoot marching with already blistered feet.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK. I have no experience in these apart from the UK Medieval/post medieval period, so these are just my thoughts based on the fact you put a ? in your title & therefore were looking for answers.
Common sense would say that if they deployed the one you found, they would have scattered hundreds (minium), so where are the rest you found? Think about the huge number of people that search CW battlesites, do any of them have bucket loads of these, because they should if large numbers were deployed? Correct?

Its not uncommon for books to get it wrong, thats where our collective expertise on TNET can help you/anyone. There are several respected & experienced people on here that have put some extremely convincing arguements that they are not CW & I for 1 am willing to agree with them.

Sorry if thats not the answer you were hoping for, but I'm a follower of facts & I hope you will be as well. Because there it no credit in fooling yourself. No offense meant. We should all be proud of the FREE help we get on here, so keep hunting & learning because when I stop learning I will quit detecting.

Last edited:

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
Knowledge and wisdom collectively provide the best answers! :icon_thumright:

Well spoken words Crusader! :occasion14:

CC Hunter

Diggin'PA

Feb 11, 2013
PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought....if these objects are made of iron... don't alot of detectorist notch out or ignore iron signals... therefore many would not be recovered? again, just a thought.
OK. I have no experience in these apart from the UK Medieval/post medieval period, so these are just my thoughts based on the fact you put a ? in your title & therefore were looking for answers.
Common sense would say that if they deployed the one you found, they would have scattered hundreds (minium), so where are the rest you found? Think about the huge number of people that search CW battlesites, do any of them have bucket loads of these, because they should if large numbers were deployed? Correct?

Its not uncommon for books to get it wrong, thats where our collective expertise on TNET can help you/anyone. There are several respected & experienced people on here that have put some extremely convincing arguements that they are not CW & I for 1 am willing to agree with them.

Sorry if thats not the answer you were hoping for, but I'm a follower of facts & I hope you will be as well. Because there it no credit in fooling yourself. No offense meant. We should all be proud of the FREE help we get on here, so keep hunting & learning because when I stop learning I will quit detecting.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought....if these objects are made of iron... don't alot of detectorist notch out or ignore iron signals... therefore many would not be recovered? again, just a thought.

Experienced CW hunters know to dig iron (i'm sure a few will tell you), they not only hide good finds but are often good finds in themselves, so I'm afraid that theory is only good for those who cherry pick. (their collections will suffer)

Last edited:

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
The league of experienced experts here on TreasureNet, those having devoted actual decades to research and recovery of real artifacts from the American Civil War, are much more qualified in ascribing correct identification, versus those that rely on popular hype and media, and current entertainment's venue for painting history with neon colors.

:p

CC Hunter

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A iron target of that size would take some notching out.

SS

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Diggin'PA wrote:
> Cannonball Guy... I didn't question your credentials so why do I need to read your "About ME"
huh.gif

Since you seem to have taken offense about me mentioning my Professional Credentials when you didn't ask for them, let me explain why I did that. You posted a photo showing an Archeology book's mis-identification of an object. Most people perceive a book to be an AUTHORITATIVE information-source. I know from past experience that there was a high probability that somebody who read my reply would say "CannonBallGuy, who the heck are you, to be correcting what an Archeology book says?" Therefore, I pointed to my Professional Credentials. My college degree includes Archeology training. Also, during the past 30-something years I've written two books and numerous magazine-articles on archeological artifacts (excavated civil war and EARLIER artifacts). But if people don't know about my professional credentials as a Historical Archeologist, some of them won't take my correction of that Archeology book's identification-error seriously. I'm sorry that my reply caused you to take offense. That was not my intention. I hope you now understand why I said what I said in it.

The reason I replied is that Beeps In My Sleep posted his find's identification with a question-mark ("Caltrops?"). That is an invitation to answer with corrective information if the identification is incorrect.

The problem is, when somebody posts an incorrect relic-identification, and nobody speaks up to correct the mis-identification, the hundreds of people who read the post will assume the identification is correct.

In this case, PART of my reason for speaking up is to give relic-collectors the educational information needed to keep them from paying $45 apiece for the 20th-Century Mill-Stars being sold as so-called "civil war caltrops" at various websites and on Ebay.

Diggin'PA

Feb 11, 2013
PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem cannonballguy... thanks for clearing that up... no harm, no foul... can you PM me the books you have you written? would like to give them a read and add to my library. Can never have enough references when it comes to history.
Diggin'PA wrote:
> Cannonball Guy... I didn't question your credentials so why do I need to read your "About ME"
huh.gif

Since you seem to have taken offense about me mentioning my Professional Credentials when you didn't ask for them, let me explain why I did that. You posted a photo showing an Archeology book's mis-identification of an object. Most people perceive a book to be an AUTHORITATIVE information-source. I know from past experience that there was a high probability that somebody who read my reply would say "CannonBallGuy, who the heck are you, to be correcting what an Archeology book says?" Therefore, I pointed to my Professional Credentials. My college degree includes Archeology training. Also, during the past 30-something years I've written two books and numerous magazine-articles on archeological artifacts (excavated civil war and EARLIER artifacts). But if people don't know about my professional credentials as a Historical Archeologist, some of them won't take my correction of that Archeology book's identification-error seriously. I'm sorry that my reply caused you to take offense. That was not my intention. I hope you now understand why I said what I said in it.

The reason I replied is that Beeps In My Sleep posted his find's identification with a question-mark ("Caltrops?"). That is an invitation to answer with corrective information if the identification is incorrect.

The problem is, when somebody posts an incorrect relic-identification, and nobody speaks up to correct the mis-identification, the hundreds of people who read the post will assume the identification is correct.

In this case, PART of my reason for speaking up is to give relic-collectors the educational information needed to keep them from paying $45 apiece for the 20th-Century Mill-Stars being sold as so-called "civil war caltrops" at various websites and on Ebay.

Robert Eugene

Greenie
Feb 21, 2013
Southern Hoosierville
Detector(s) used
Garrett BFO,

Bounty Hunter Big Bud,

White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google this,

odd items found in 100 year old machine shop.

Although I see tumbling media for rough iron castings, some may see caltrops, they may not be military or civil war but they could be very old. The OP's original photo show rounded edges from heavy use, the ones in the posting I linked to are fresh.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Diggin'PA, as you requested I will PM you the titles of the books I've written. They are about civil war (and earlier) artillery projectiles, fuzes, grenades, rockets, etc.

Also, I've been writing a continuing series of articles for North/South Trader's Civil War magazine. (See the two most recent issues of that magazine, if you have any interest about such things.) In the current series, I provide well-documented correction of mis-identifications which are in the McKee-&-Mason book on civil war projectiles. For example, one of the mis-identified relics is a Model-T Ford spindle bushing which the book says is a civil war artillery fuze (see photo on the book's page 152, items #51 & 52).

This discussion-thread is prompting me to finish writing an article I've been working on for the magazine about mill-stars (Metalcasting Industry tumbler-mill media) and actual caltrops. :)

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did Creskol get a time out?

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't know. All of his posts on the thread were removed, then he posted a "sort of" apology, which was also removed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread