Really BIG Bullets, Cannon ordinance ?

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Was searching around a old home site that dates to the 1850's today, there is a old outdoor chimney type thing way out back near the woods, well I was searching around it and noticed there was a cavity in the furnace thingy, reached in and felt something cold, went to grab it but I could'nt really lift it with one hand, so I had remove a few old bricks, to get them out.
Biggest damn bullets I have ever seen, the big one must weigh 50 pounds, and the little one maybe 35 pounds, the smaller of the 2 has, it looks like brass rifling.
I do not have a camera, so I will do the best I can with my crappy phone.
View attachment 862935
View attachment 862936
View attachment 862937
View attachment 862938
View attachment 862939

Also found this silver what-is-it
View attachment 862940

Any ideas on them bullets, I would really appreciate it, I cannot find anything close to them.

Mike

Upvote 5

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LiveLeak.com - Only working and firing WW2 90mm Anti-Tank Gun in the United States Firing the 90mm with solid shot anti tank rounds.... There are a couple there that look like HE though.....

Contact the collector site I posted earlier and get their pinion on it. Odds are it's a solid shot and not HE, and the part in the base is an expended tracer, but it's best to get a good idea what you're dealing with. You may also be able to find someone who can disarm it for you. If you hand it over to the police you'll never see it again whether it's explosive or not.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have some stories about turning in explosives to the police...

last resort, and do call ahead, don't just show up and tell them you have some explosives in the truck....

kicking a beehive has better results...
but no..you will not be in trouble, after you explain every little detail about that round.

as Ken suggests, contact the person he recommended...

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Re: his comment about keeping it on his desk.

I am Irish enough I actually understand that. Sounds right to me.
laughing7.gif

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Update. I planned on having a guy from the state bomb squad look at them, but was told that could go bad for me, could even incur charges..go figure! so until I can find somebody that can actually come to me, versus me transporting them again..they will stay on my desk, makes for some interesting conversations.

Mike

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
arty shells

If that's a shell with white phosphorus, that's some wicked crap too. will burn you clean through the bone. Ouchee/ nickname WP or willie pete

Last edited:

Hendo0601

Jul 30, 2014
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm no artillery ordnance expert (I was light infantry so we didn't mess with this stuff) but I have seen quite a few artillery rounds in my day. These appear to both be solid shot Armor Piercing (AP) rounds with tracer charge in the base. High Explosive (HE) rounds generally have an impact fuse on the nose of the shell, so that when it hits the target it will explode. The fuse is removable to make them safe for transport etc. I would still get them checked out just to be safe though.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BC1969, back in September 2013, NOLA-Ken advised you TWICE to contact the folks at the International Ammunition Association (by email) to get the correct identification of your artillery projectiles. In the 11 months since then, you haven't said anything about following Ken's advice. Did you ever get around to doing that?

If not... please simply send an email (with your photos) to the artillery projectile collectors at the International Ammunition Association, at the following link (which Ken gave you 11 months ago). They will be able to correctly ID your projectiles, and tell you whether there's any danger or not, and they won't call the police about you. Title your email to them "Artillery projectile identification needed, here are the photos." (Be sure to include length and diameter measurements.)
Contact Us - International Ammunition Association

PSHeirlooms

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2015
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
Garett, Schiebel, Vallon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not true Hendo, APHE or AP-C have rear inertia or time delay fuze and a ballistic cap on the front to detonate after penetration. Here is an example: 75mm_AP_HE.jpg Otherwise your instincts are good, and of course, always have an expert verify before fingering.

The larger looks like a US M318 AP-T without the ballistic cone. Not enough info on the 75mm (76-mm AP Shot?) but it is almost certainly an AP-T as well.

BC1969, Please send me side photo's of both with a clear ruler next to the projectiles and caliper measurements of the bourrelet (widest section other than the rotating bands at mid section.

Last edited:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UXO's are not something i would pick up are handle

PSHeirlooms

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2015
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
Garett, Schiebel, Vallon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UXO's are not something i would pick up are handle

I agree nsdq. Leave it to the pros. In this case the tracers on the base plate are key ID features of AP-T or AP Shot (Big Slugs). 76mm 90mm Projo.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
BC1969, back in September 2013, NOLA-Ken advised you TWICE to contact the folks at the International Ammunition Association (by email) to get the correct identification of your artillery projectiles. In the 11 months since then, you haven't said anything about following Ken's advice. Did you ever get around to doing that?

If not... please simply send an email (with your photos) to the artillery projectile collectors at the International Ammunition Association, at the following link (which Ken gave you 11 months ago). They will be able to correctly ID your projectiles, and tell you whether there's any danger or not, and they won't call the police about you. Title your email to them "Artillery projectile identification needed, here are the photos." (Be sure to include length and diameter measurements.)
Contact Us - International Ammunition Association

After a while after this post, I completely forgot about them things.
Which is kind of bad.
I never did email anyone about them.
A trusted friend suggested that I don't, so I didn't.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread