New site...come on warm weather.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found an old home site on a Sanborn map from the turn of the century while doing my research. I've driven by the site a few times and it is not developed but is on the edge of a busy down town area. Yesterday after working around the house I told the wife I was going detecting for an hour. Got to the site and did a quick walk through and it is covered in trash. The local kids built a dirt track for their bikes. I figure I was there anyway so I would give it a try. Found one modern dime and a memorial penny. The ground was frozen solid which did not make for easy diggin. As I was leaving I got a signal in the leaves which turned out to be a piece of modern day trellis disappointed I was about to walk away but thinking about it I decided to move the trellis and checked again. The signal was still there so I dug it and a nice old hand made skeleton key popped out. It was enough to make me put the site down for further exploration when the weather gets warmer.

I also received permission to hunt a old home in the area which I located on an old map. The home is from the early 1800s if not the late 1700s. The map shows the home, an old carrage house, a coop and outhouse. The gentleman that lives there now stated that while gardening in the backyard he has dug up old horse shoes. The only draw back is that he uses a slingshot with BBs to keep the local cats away from his bird feeders. Maybe a lot of small metal balls laying around. Also have a line on a church dating to the late 1600s. I'll keep you posted.

I'll also work on getting pictures posted. Everytime I've tried in the past it states that the file is too large. I've even edited the pictures to 800X600 and cropped the extra portions off with no luck.

HH

NJ

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread