Colonial Era Frame Buckle & A Question About It

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went out to one of my favorite colonial era sites here in the Valley yesterday. Didn't have a lot of time, but wanted to get into a field I haven't hunted yet. After about 30 minutes, I hit a thick iron patch and plucked this little beauty out of the ground. Can anyone fill in details, ID, approximate age, etc? It appears much too fragile and thin to be a shoe buckle to me. Thanks!

Attachments

• framebuckle.JPG
    framebuckle.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 99
  • framebuckle.3JPG.JPG
    framebuckle.3JPG.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 94
  • framebuckle.2JPG.JPG
    framebuckle.2JPG.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 1

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice ornate design on that. Most likely a women's sash buckle or brooch. Like you said, too thin to be a shoe buckle.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a fancy one Richard. WTG, Q.

Thanks Quindy. It was very close to where I found that 19th century costume jewelry ring that was in my last video. I think I might be on to something. :hello2: The site is also where a Confederate soldier lived after the WBTS. He also ran a business at this location. BTW, while I was there, the farmer who owns the land stopped by and asked me to take a ride with him. We rode about a half mile down the road and then we drove up an old lane, past a limestone springhouse that dates to the 18th century and then he pointed to a knoll and told me that, many years ago, there was a "substantial" log cabin there, along with a very large log barn. He encouraged me to hunt that spot. Of course, I'll be happy to oblige.

Fall is lookin' real good as I have several new spots to explore, as well as my annual pilgrimage to a battlefield where one of my ancestors fought.

Last edited:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Quindy. It was very close to where I found that 19th century costume jewelry ring that was in my last video. I think I might be on to something. :hello2: The site is also where a Confederate soldier lived after the WBTS. He also ran a business at this location. BTW, while I was there, the farmer who owns the land stopped by and asked me to take a ride with him. We rode about a half mile down the road and then we drove up an old lane, past a limestone springhouse that dates to the 18th century and then he pointed to a knoll and told me that, many years ago, there was a "substantial" log cabin there, along with a very large log barn. He encouraged me to hunt that spot. Of course, I'll be happy to oblige.

Fall is lookin' real good as I have several new spots to explore, as well as my annual pilgrimage to a battlefield where one of my ancestors fought.

I wish everyone could have the experience of hunting a canp or battle site where their ancestor(s) camped or fought as we have Richard. It's a special hunt. Good luck on your annual hunt. HH, Q.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wish everyone could have the experience of hunting a canp or battle site where their ancestor(s) camped or fought as we have Richard. It's a special hunt. Good luck on your annual hunt. HH, Q.

Thanks Quindy. Yes, it is truly a surreal, almost spiritual, experience. I can't wait.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet buckle Stoney:icon_thumleft:

Looks like a sash buckle to me but could be a neck stock buckle..

Dating this one seems tricky:dontknow:

Blaze

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet buckle Stoney:icon_thumleft:

Looks like a sash buckle to me but could be a neck stock buckle..

Dating this one seems tricky:dontknow:

Blaze

Thanks JB - I was hoping you'd chime in. I figured you'd know if anyone did.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a Victorian period sash Buckle, or slide.

SS

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
most definetly....

Great, thanks. The map I used this to research this site was drawn in the 2nd half of the 1800's and notes a home and business here, so that makes sense. There is also some indication of colonial era history there as well.

Last edited:

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry.. thinking it was more like this. Civil War shoulder brass Lt bar.. the others IDed it right. Looking @ the size now it def. does not match up.

Attachments

• bar.jpg
    bar.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry.. thinking it was more like this. Civil War shoulder brass Lt bar.. the others IDed it right. Looking @ the size now it def. does not match up.

Ok - I wish you would have been right. :laughing7: Thanks.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok - I wish you would have been right. :laughing7: Thanks.

haha. me too. sorry been a reallllly long day, things just aren't going right today. Spend 3 hours hunting this morning and came back empty handed! Things will get better (at least I tell myself that) H.H

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions