May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lost in the early 1900's - Metal Purse with coins

I was out scuba diving, approx. 30 feet deep on the side of a drop off. Got a huge hit, water was murky - grabbed it and stuck it in my carry net. Had no clue what it was until I got home. A metal purse with exactly $1.00 in change. Also 1 button and a 1 ore Danmark - So, I am thinking the lady is from Denmark and she was out for a boat ride with some dude that was trying to win her affection. He was showiing off and tipped the boat over. I would love to know the real story!!!! Newest coin is a wheaty 1911.

001.JPG 002.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 28

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, some real history there and great looking coins and in super condition. Dainty little button. I wonder if the metal of the purse kept the coins from being attacked? Was this fresh water diving? A very different find my vote is in........................63bkpkr

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow what an awesome find. congrats!

OP
OP
TheRingFinder

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, some real history there and great looking coins and in super condition. Dainty little button. I wonder if the metal of the purse kept the coins from being attacked? Was this fresh water diving? A very different find my vote is in........................63bkpkr

Yeah, fresh water in - It was down far enough where the Temp is always cold and the coins were probably stacked on top of eachother. I found it strange that some of the coins look so good and some look so bad???? If you look close, 1 of the Indian Heads has a hole in the center of it???

Last edited:

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find! What a cool, underwater time capsule for your collection. Sub 8-)

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I bet you're right, the fool tipped the boat over, and his courting turned into a really hot azz chewing. She didn't have the metal purse to beat him with though. As a second thought, I hope he was man enough to get her out of the lake OK. You have to wonder if there might have been some paper money in that purse, perhaps gold notes that are long gone. Great find. I wonder if you searched Minneapolis news papers for 1911, if you might find that some one drowned in Lake Harriet? Funny how a find like that brings up all sorts of thoughts.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure your purse is sterling silver , have you found the hallmarks yet ? they should be inside the rim closure area - a loupe and
some excellent light should locate them . This is an extremely unusual find - I'm going BANNER !

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Confused me for a moment before I realized you were diving in fresh water! No way those coins would look like that after that long in the Pacific! And the patina that some of those coins have acquired can make them even more valuable to collectors, too. I'll second the BANNER nomination! :occasion14:

OP
OP
TheRingFinder

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice and thanks for sharing......how deep was the water and how far in the bottom muck?

It was on the side of a drop off, in sand - wasn't really too deep in the sand maybe 6 - 8 inches. The water drops off to around 40 feet deep and I was approx 30 feet down........pretty frickin cold down there in a Minnesota lake!!!!! It's funny how the cut off to warm and cold is a straight line. I would be detecting and the lower half of my body was frezzing cold and the upper half was very comfortable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread