Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been out hunting a couple of times over the past week and just couldn't seem to find anything interesting enough to make a post. Lisa and I went to the old park last week and got a purdy good bullet and a trigger! :D Found the key and the change there too. Then yesterday was just too nice not to go out for a couple of hours, so we went back over to where the old cemetery is to look around a bit. Got the nice round bullet and what looks like some sort of rock that might was going to be an arrow? ??? and the usual farm stuff.
100_6805.jpg

Then today was just perfect so around noon we let out for the old Dr's house. This is the same site that I went to last year and found nothing but parts of relics. :-X Today we went with a plan to find another structure that shows up on the 1892 map.

100_6795.jpg

We searched for a couple of hours without finding anything worth mentioning. Headed down to the old house and began searching there. Still the same ole same ole...the place with all the poison ivy and rattlesnakes..... except......the rock wall that surrounded the house was gone!
100_6803.jpg

I got to thinking about all the stuff that could have fallen in behind the rocks over the years, so I started detecting there. Got a good signal, bent down to dig yet another something-or-other. While I was bent over digging I had spotted the tip of a bottle sticking out of the side of the bank. Started diggin it out and it's not broken!!!! ;D I was so happy! Hollered for Lisa to come and help me dig and found another one!!!!
100_6801.jpg

100_6799.jpg

Only two found today along with lots and lots of broken pottery, but you know we're gonna go back with a shovel!!!! ;D
100_6809.jpg

The bottles are Ayer's Sarsaparilla and Dr. Kilmer's Swamp Root.
100_6812.jpg

100_6821.jpg

Now.....how do I get the stains out of the inside of them? :-\

Nana :)

Upvote 0

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soak them in some C.L.R. diluted with a bit of water.

Night Stalker

eric in ks

Oct 29, 2005
middle america
Nice finds Nana in Bama. Great bottles and lead. My Kansas State Wildcats are coming down for a little Auburn football this fall. I know you won't make fun of me if the game turns ugly on me. ;D HH, Eric

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
I love those old bottles!
They don't make em like they used to!

99Brown

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2006
Illinois
WTG Nana!! Those are some killer finds. Love the old bottle. And glad you were able to find a bullet or two and keep your reputation ;)

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Nana40 said:
:-X @#%%^J(%@ !!!!!!!! :-X

OK ya'll. I have tried cleaning these bottles with: clorox and water....CLR....BB's and dish soap/water....denture tablets.......poked tiny little pieces of cloth on the end of a coat hanger round and a round....I have one more option. Brillo pad. Have to visit the market and get one.
My arms are tired and the bottles still have stains, but by golly they smell really nice! :D

Thanks for all the suggestions and links!

Happy Valentine's Day!!

Nana :-*

Nana,
I grew up in Binghamton and the first time I saw that Dr. Kilmers I thought...oh boy! How cool! Unfortunately, he distributed swamp root all over the country and the bottle is common. There are also a few beers and sodas that were made in Binghamton and I would love to get my hands on some of them. As far as the stains go on the inside, I have heard that some of them will come off with CLR/Brillo/bleach/hot water and soap, but some stains...magnesium oxide or "bottle sickness" will only come off with tumbling. I think you can almost accomplish this with the brillo pad but it will be a lot of work. The tumblers are tubes filled with copper wire clippings, sand, and either water, soapy water, or ammonia. The bottle and tube are filled with some of the sand/copper wire mix and water, the tube closed and attached to a slow rotating motor...I have heard like 15 revs per minute-40 revs per minute. Then the tumbler is left on for a week or two. The bottles come out sparkly clean. The danger is that if there is a flaw in the bottle it might break. To accomplish this by hand with a scrubby...it would probably take months. Just my two cents. You sould look more into tumbling, I'm not familiar enough with it to be 100% sure on all the steps but I know it will get your bottle clean.

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ya'll... :)

eric in ks said:
Nice finds Nana in Bama. Great bottles and lead. My Kansas State Wildcats are coming down for a little Auburn football this fall. I know you won't make fun of me if the game turns ugly on me. ;D HH, Eric

Never Eric! ;)

99...you know I gotta have some sort of bullets in there, or it just wouldn't be the same. :D

Thanks again for the info! :)
Nana

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Wow what a great bunch of finds..You might want to try DENTURE CLEANER on old bottles...You know the kind you soak the teeth in.

Hey and you got that lucky horseshoe too!

~Nash~

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Nana..........Nice finds as always....Keep up the good work and you always seem to find the nice stuff. I see the weather is still nice in your neck of the woods . Thats great..........WTG and HH..........

The Seeker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions