Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sarsaparilla Anyone?

I have been out hunting a couple of times over the past week and just couldn't seem to find anything interesting enough to make a post. Lisa and I went to the old park last week and got a purdy good bullet and a trigger! Found the key and the change there too. Then yesterday was just too nice not to go out for a couple of hours, so we went back over to where the old cemetery is to look around a bit. Got the nice round bullet and what looks like some sort of rock that might was going to be an arrow? and the usual farm stuff.

Then today was just perfect so around noon we let out for the old Dr's house. This is the same site that I went to last year and found nothing but parts of relics. Today we went with a plan to find another structure that shows up on the 1892 map.

We searched for a couple of hours without finding anything worth mentioning. Headed down to the old house and began searching there. Still the same ole same ole...the place with all the poison ivy and rattlesnakes..... except......the rock wall that surrounded the house was gone!

I got to thinking about all the stuff that could have fallen in behind the rocks over the years, so I started detecting there. Got a good signal, bent down to dig yet another something-or-other. While I was bent over digging I had spotted the tip of a bottle sticking out of the side of the bank. Started diggin it out and it's not broken!!!! I was so happy! Hollered for Lisa to come and help me dig and found another one!!!!

Only two found today along with lots and lots of broken pottery, but you know we're gonna go back with a shovel!!!!

The bottles are Ayer's Sarsaparilla and Dr. Kilmer's Swamp Root.

Now.....how do I get the stains out of the inside of them?

Nana

SouthCarolinaTeacher

Re: Sarsaparilla Anyone?

Nana,

Awesome Finds!!!!

A few weeks ago, I dug a Printing Plate that included an advertisement for Ayer's Sarsasparilla. Didn't know it even existed until then!

GOOD STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian

May 2005
    19 times

Nana,

neat post. Felt like I was out there with
    you. Enjoyed the post and photos.

Very nice bottles.

Thanks for posting.

have a good un.........................
    In the academies many books, at the circus many sacks of peanuts, at the club rooms many cigar butts.

SouthCarolinaTeacher

Maybe warm water with bleach? I don't know

Ian

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    23 times
    Banner Finds (1)

I agree!!! GREAT pics and AWESOME bottles!!! WOW!!!

Jan 2007
    Houston,TX
    Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
    2 times

Great photos and finds.

That site deserves more hunting time!!!!

Jan 2006
    Easton PA
    Banner Finds (1)

Hey Nana
    Nice digs great bottles. Looks like my kinda spot to hunt...Hope you find plenty...TnT
    Whites XLT, Fisher 1280X
    Minelab Explorer SE

us
    CS IS NEXT

Nov 2005
    MARYLAND
    Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
    33 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Sweet find's Nana.....Swamp Root?.....Sound's delicious.Great job "guy's".....

us
    Random chance seems to have operated in our favor

Oct 2004
    Oklahoma
    4 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

http://www.antiquebottles.com/poch/3.html#Cleaning

For the most part they seem to recomend rice, copper bb shot, or sand mixed with warm water.

Nice bottles, Nana! 8)

us
    wolf pack!!!

Sep 2006
    Texas
    Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
    31 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

HAAA! with all respect of course I dont think civilman meant "guys" he meant "Chovies" (I do love the bottles)
    Leave no stone unturned.

TreasureTales

Those bottles are wonderful. WTG girl.

If you go back for more bottles, please don't use a shovel. You might want to take a rake and use it instead. Less likely to break the bottles that way. I use a rake when I go to a dump and I've always done better than my buddies when they use shovels. It's not so hard on your back, either. Very nice post, thanks for sharing the scenery, the finds, and the story. Kudos to you for thinking to detect where the old wall was. Good luck next time you go there, looking forward to seeing more bottles, some pottery, etc.

Those bottles date from around 1900. What I do to clean the inside is cut up a Brillo or SOS steel wool pad into strips with a scissor. Put the strips in to the bottles with some water. Then get a wire clothes hanger and open the hanger up and keep on bending it to you get about a 15" piece. Then bend about 4" of the top end all the way over and make a sort of handle. Then insert the bottom end into the bottle and catch some of the steel wool on the end and clean the inside. You might want to bend a small barb on the end of the hanger with pliers to make it easier to hold and manipulate the steel wool inside the bottle. Also, I wouldn't give up on that site. If there's C1900 bottles, there's a good chance there's some old coins.

us
    Jan 2007
    eastern Oklahoma
    Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
    35 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Nice finds , Fossis............................
    fossil hunter Indian Artifact collector MDer Antique collector

TreasureTales

Don't they make bottle brushes anymore? I'd buy one and use it with some Bon Ami, or some CLR for the stains.

Quote Originally Posted by TreasureTales
    Don't they make bottle brushes anymore? I'd buy one and use it with some Bon Ami, or some CLR for the stains.
    A bottle brush won't get into the inner seams and the nooks and crannies. You can bend the hanger to get at the hard to clean areas.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsors