Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been out hunting a couple of times over the past week and just couldn't seem to find anything interesting enough to make a post. Lisa and I went to the old park last week and got a purdy good bullet and a trigger! :D Found the key and the change there too. Then yesterday was just too nice not to go out for a couple of hours, so we went back over to where the old cemetery is to look around a bit. Got the nice round bullet and what looks like some sort of rock that might was going to be an arrow? ??? and the usual farm stuff.
100_6805.jpg

Then today was just perfect so around noon we let out for the old Dr's house. This is the same site that I went to last year and found nothing but parts of relics. :-X Today we went with a plan to find another structure that shows up on the 1892 map.

100_6795.jpg

We searched for a couple of hours without finding anything worth mentioning. Headed down to the old house and began searching there. Still the same ole same ole...the place with all the poison ivy and rattlesnakes..... except......the rock wall that surrounded the house was gone!
100_6803.jpg

I got to thinking about all the stuff that could have fallen in behind the rocks over the years, so I started detecting there. Got a good signal, bent down to dig yet another something-or-other. While I was bent over digging I had spotted the tip of a bottle sticking out of the side of the bank. Started diggin it out and it's not broken!!!! ;D I was so happy! Hollered for Lisa to come and help me dig and found another one!!!!
100_6801.jpg

100_6799.jpg

Only two found today along with lots and lots of broken pottery, but you know we're gonna go back with a shovel!!!! ;D
100_6809.jpg

The bottles are Ayer's Sarsaparilla and Dr. Kilmer's Swamp Root.
100_6812.jpg

100_6821.jpg

Now.....how do I get the stains out of the inside of them? :-\

Nana :)

Upvote 0
S

SouthCarolinaTeacher

Nana,

Awesome Finds!!!!

A few weeks ago, I dug a Printing Plate that included an advertisement for Ayer's Sarsasparilla. Didn't know it even existed until then!

GOOD STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Nana,

neat post. ;) Felt like I was out there with
you. Enjoyed the post and photos. ;D

Very nice bottles.

Thanks for posting.

have a good un.........................

S

SouthCarolinaTeacher

Maybe warm water with bleach? I don't know ???

Ian

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet find's Nana.....Swamp Root?.....Sound's delicious.Great job "guy's".....

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
HAAA! with all respect of course I dont think civilman meant "guys" he meant "Chovies" (I do love the bottles)

T

TreasureTales

Those bottles are wonderful. WTG girl.

If you go back for more bottles, please don't use a shovel. You might want to take a rake and use it instead. Less likely to break the bottles that way. I use a rake when I go to a dump and I've always done better than my buddies when they use shovels. It's not so hard on your back, either. Very nice post, thanks for sharing the scenery, the finds, and the story. Kudos to you for thinking to detect where the old wall was. Good luck next time you go there, looking forward to seeing more bottles, some pottery, etc.

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Those bottles date from around 1900. What I do to clean the inside is cut up a Brillo or SOS steel wool pad into strips with a scissor. Put the strips in to the bottles with some water. Then get a wire clothes hanger and open the hanger up and keep on bending it to you get about a 15" piece. Then bend about 4" of the top end all the way over and make a sort of handle. Then insert the bottom end into the bottle and catch some of the steel wool on the end and clean the inside. You might want to bend a small barb on the end of the hanger with pliers to make it easier to hold and manipulate the steel wool inside the bottle. Also, I wouldn't give up on that site. If there's C1900 bottles, there's a good chance there's some old coins.

T

TreasureTales

Don't they make bottle brushes anymore? I'd buy one and use it with some Bon Ami, or some CLR for the stains.

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
TreasureTales said:
Don't they make bottle brushes anymore? I'd buy one and use it with some Bon Ami, or some CLR for the stains.

A bottle brush won't get into the inner seams and the nooks and crannies. You can bend the hanger to get at the hard to clean areas.

T

TreasureTales

bookfisher said:
TreasureTales said:

A bottle brush won't get into the inner seams and the nooks and crannies. You can bend the hanger to get at the hard to clean areas.

Oh yeah, I see your point. And I'll try your technique the next time I find an old bottle...which doesn't happen often enough as far as I'm concerned. OH, just realized I've got one right now that I could clean with your system. Thanks!!!!

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for the tips, info and links ya'll! :) I'll try to clean them up a bit better tomorrow. Have them soaking. And you are probably right about the shovel TT.....rake does sound safer! ;)

Thanks again! Nana :)

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Hey Lady! Just watched a show on bottle digging last week on The Travel Channel Best Places to find Cash & Treasures. Some of them have some good values. May want to check it out.
Spotz

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds, Nana. Sunshiny day, daffodils blooming, and finding those old bottles...you couldn't had asked for a better day. ;D

;) RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread