🥇 BANNER Once in a life time find

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLab Explorer I & II, SE Pro, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher 6a, Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had written a nice post and up loaded the pictures and then I X the page and all gone. So, I will not be rewriting the post as I had it before. Anyway, it was to 8 to 9"s deep and came in as 1240 on my E-Trac, but sounded really nice compared to other 40's. Here it is... 1626. Any help as to what coin it is will be appreciated. Thanks...HH.

Col.Philo

Here is the story of how I got to dig this coin...

laughing7.gif
Don Hit the nail on the head, and WildCat, Eric gave me some insight as to the history and why this coin although not valuable, is in respect to history and where it was dug. The coin did not come from an area that would be considered virgin, because it's been hunted to death by me and many other throughout the years. The problem is that a mansion stood very near where I dug the coin. It's re diddled with iron and all type of fill from both the park and the mansion. You need to go down at least 9 to 10"s to obtain the rich brown soil that once laid the landscape. On top of the soil mentioned is coal ash, rocky fill, and iron, not to mention relics from the mansion, window locks, washers, nails, square nails, copper roofing splints, shards of all kinds, and your typical cans, memorial pennies, wheats, clad... and this beauty... the 1626 Duit Dutch coin. Don has described the coin on his post... Thanks Don.
headbang.gif

I was not going out yesterday, as I was not feeling well for the last few days, but felt better enough to go to my favorite park for a quiet hunt, so I thought. I started at almost the beginning of where the mansion stood, and as I said before, it looked like this area was used to dump the coal ashes, and iron garbage in the ground as fill. I usually shy away from this area for this known reason, but for some reason I've always had a feeling that this be the older developed area of the park, something special lied beneath the soil. I had already dug some nice buckles, and a nice condition 1831 large cent, not far from where this Dutch coin was dug... I started down the exact middle of the open field and concentrated on certain target numbers on my MineLab E-Trac Metal Detector.
wav.gif

As I passed the center door way which I believe is from where the wagon and carts brought the coal ashes an trash, and I began digging wheat's, which I was not finding in all the years hunting that area, as I drew closer to the lagoon, I dug two wheat's in one hole, but the next target next to iron was so sweet, because even though it had a reading of 1240 on the E-Trac, it sounded completely different. This target was supposed to be a wheat penny, a seated dime or even a half dime. Even though there was iron, I was getting a solid 1240 no matter what or how fast I swung my coil, and the tell tale sign was that it was deep, and I had to investigate, but wanted to be very careful as to not harm the coin. I pin pointed the target and dug a 10' diameter hole and left the lid on the grass, and went down all the way with my Samson Spade. it took four of them to bring out the dirt, stuck my probe and it was still reading the target, so out with the Lasche and carefully digging down and around, the coin came up with the loosen dirt, and low and behold I saw it on top of the mount of soil and could not believe what I was seeing... My first thought was, this is a re-pro or a counterfeit, but when I saw the edges and how thin the coin was I knew it was a real coin, and as I held it in my hand, I can feel being transported back in time ti that very spot when the coin was dropped, I placed it in my plastic bag separated from other stuff I had dug. But,the curiosity hit me again, and I removed it and looked at it again, being very careful not to cause any damage to the coin and again was transported back in time as I look at the date 1626... Wow, what a feeling to dig a coin almost 400 years old before this country was even a nation, and sometimes I think that perhaps even a Native Indian found this coin and just discarded, or lost it himself going down to the lagoon to buy flint from the Dutch, because the Indians did trade and buy flint to make arrow heads. I can go on and on... with all I have learned from research of the area and Robert Apuzzo, whose written a few books on colonialism. Thanks for all the feed back on this post... Please consider this coin for the Banner, after reading some more of the history, I think it merits its place there as historical coin of NY.

Philo
tongue3.gif

Attachments

• 1626 copper use 2.jpg
    1626 copper use 2.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,013
  • 1626 copper use.jpg
    1626 copper use.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 1,102
Last edited:
Upvote 40

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool to find an old Dutch coin from the period when they settled New York. Was this found on a construction site? Hard to imagine anything from that period still being in range of a detector in the Bronx these days. May not be a rare find in Holland, but in New York it is a Banner find!

OP
OP
Col.Philo95thNY

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLab Explorer I & II, SE Pro, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher 6a, Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: Don Hit the nail on the head, and WildCat, Eric gave me some insight as to the history and why this coin although not valuable, is in respect to history and where it was dug. The coin did not come from an area that would be considered virgin, because it's been hunted to death by me and many other throughout the years. The problem is that a mansion stood very near where I dug the coin. It's re diddled with iron and all type of fill from both the park and the mansion. You need to go down at least 9 to 10"s to obtain the rich brown soil that once laid the landscape. On top of the soil mentioned is coal ash, rocky fill, and iron, not to mention relics from the mansion, window locks, washers, nails, square nails, copper roofing splints, shards of all kinds, and your typical cans, memorial pennies, wheats, clad... and this beauty... the 1626 Duit Dutch coin. Don has described the coin on his post... Thanks Don. :headbang:

I was not going out yesterday, as I was not feeling well for the last few days, but felt better enough to go to my favorite park for a quiet hunt, so I thought. I started at almost the beginning of where the mansion stood, and as I said before, it looked like this area was used to dump the coal ashes, and iron garbage in the ground as fill. I usually shy away from this area for this known reason, but for some reason I've always had a feeling that this be the older developed area of the park, something special lied beneath the soil. I had already dug some nice buckles, and a nice condition 1831 large cent, not far from where this Dutch coin was dug... I started down the exact middle of the open field and concentrated on certain target numbers on my MineLab E-Trac Metal Detector. :wav:

As I passed the center door way which I believe is from where the wagon and carts brought the coal ashes an trash, and I began digging wheat's, which I was not finding in all the years hunting that area, as I drew closer to the lagoon, I dug two wheat's in one hole, but the next target next to iron was so sweet, because even though it had a reading of 1240 on the E-Trac, it sounded completely different. This target was supposed to be a wheat penny, a seated dime or even a half dime. Even though there was iron, I was getting a solid 1240 no matter what or how fast I swung my coil, and the tell tale sign was that it was deep, and I had to investigate, but wanted to be very careful as to not harm the coin. I pin pointed the target and dug a 10' diameter hole and left the lid on the grass, and went down all the way with my Samson Spade. it took four of them to bring out the dirt, stuck my probe and it was still reading the target, so out with the Lasche and carefully digging down and around, the coin came up with the loosen dirt, and low and behold I saw it on top of the mount of soil and could not believe what I was seeing... My first thought was, this is a re-pro or a counterfeit, but when I saw the edges and how thin the coin was I knew it was a real coin, and as I held it in my hand, I can feel being transported back in time ti that very spot when the coin was dropped, I placed it in my plastic bag separated from other stuff I had dug. But,the curiosity hit me again, and I removed it and looked at it again, being very careful not to cause any damage to the coin and again was transported back in time as I look at the date 1626... Wow, what a feeling to dig a coin almost 400 years old before this country was even a nation, and sometimes I think that perhaps even a Native Indian found this coin and just discarded, or lost it himself going down to the lagoon to buy flint from the Dutch, because the Indians did trade and buy flint to make arrow heads. I can go on and on... with all I have learned from research of the area and Robert Apuzzo, whose written a few books on colonialism. Thanks for all the feed back on this post... Please consider this coin for the Banner, after reading some more of the history, I think it merits its place there as historical coin of NY.

Philo :tongue3:

This really is a once-in-a-lifetime find, congrats! Not often do we see early 1600s coins found here in the states. I would recommend you be careful with the way you treat this coin, as the surfaces look vulnerable to peeling away. I understand your frustrated losing your original post, but do you think you could give us a brief version of how this coin was found? Was it in virgin soil?

Attachments

• 1626 holandia duit.jpg
    1626 holandia duit.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 134
  • 1626 holandia duit 2.jpg
    1626 holandia duit 2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 118
  • hol duit 1627 var..jpg
    hol duit 1627 var..jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 114

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reaaly nice find. I agree should be banner for the local historic find.

Vonclemen29

Apr 15, 2013
Central mississippi
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter commando, minelab xterra 505 9", 6" coil, minelab pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner! Awesome congrats, definitely a find of a lifetime.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New York (originally known as New Amsterdam) was originally claimed by the Dutch and even Henry Hudson (whom the river was named after) who was English, I believed sailed with the Dutch at that time that the river was "discovered." There were many Dutch settlers even out in New Jersey and beyond and my area is still riddled with Dutch historic names and old Dutch architecture. I believe Brooklyn, like Bronx is a Dutch name as is the name Stuyvesant for example. Brooklyn was once called Kings (it's still part of Kings County) and it was name paired with Queens. Wall Street is where a wall was once eracted that separated the lower tip of Manhattan from the northern "wilderness." The English finally wrested control of New Amsterdam from the Dutch and renamed it to New York as we all know and eventually claimed it as well as the original 13 colonies for the British crown. I have a book on the original history of New York and it is fascinating. It's interesting to read the original British accounts of how wild and beautiful the nature on Staten Island was when they landed there and a sad reminder of what we've done in 200 years.

I have heard of an occaisional Dutch coin being found in our area, but this is the first one that I've seen posted. A buddy of mine found one in England years back in an area that supposedly included some Dutch mercenaries. He gave me the coin and I got an ID on it. I don't think it was as early as yours though--probably 1700's.

Last edited:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great narrative. Your research and diligence really paid off. My vote is in.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations!!

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing. Especially to see a date after so long in the ground. Just put in my vote. Congrats

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You had my banner vote from the beginning as well. Next best thing would be to find some beads from the purchase of Manhattan, which would be almost impossible to date!

For an encore you should find the Roanoke Colony!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! You just never know what the next target will turn out to be. That's what keeps me looking! History is beneath our feet, its up to us to uncover it :thumbsup:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've returned to this thread to cast my vote for BANNER! :notworthy:I was born in Brooklyn and raised in Queens and as a grade school kid was always fascinated by NYC's early Dutch Colonial roots. Sadly, so much evidence New York's early Dutch settlement was gone way before our time but you managed to find that golden Needle in the proverbial Haystack of the overdeveloped Bronx! A truly rare find indeed!
PS: For and interesting read check out "The Island at the Center of the World" by Russell Shorto, The epic story of Dutch Manhattan and the forgotten colony that shape America. :icon_study:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting Coin & history !
can you get better Pics ?

Jeff

P.S.
does everyone but me find just one Item per day & leave ? :tongue3:

Last edited:

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My banner vote is in. I'm descended from the early Dutch settlers in New York so this is an interesting piece of history.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic piece of history !!! Congrats !!! My eyes are as green as the coin , if only it could talk :notworthy:

lumbergh

Jul 22, 2013
Wake County (Raleigh Area), North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE PRO, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Fisher Metal Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I voted banner as well. Very cool to think that either the guy who bought Manhattan island, or someone he likely knew, probably held that coin at some point...

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I voted banner as well. Very cool to think that either the guy who bought Manhattan island, or someone he likely knew, probably held that coin at some point...
...or maybe Jonas Bronck himself? :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread