🥇 BANNER Once in a life time find

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLab Explorer I & II, SE Pro, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher 6a, Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had written a nice post and up loaded the pictures and then I X the page and all gone. So, I will not be rewriting the post as I had it before. Anyway, it was to 8 to 9"s deep and came in as 1240 on my E-Trac, but sounded really nice compared to other 40's. Here it is... 1626. Any help as to what coin it is will be appreciated. Thanks...HH.

Col.Philo

Here is the story of how I got to dig this coin...

laughing7.gif
Don Hit the nail on the head, and WildCat, Eric gave me some insight as to the history and why this coin although not valuable, is in respect to history and where it was dug. The coin did not come from an area that would be considered virgin, because it's been hunted to death by me and many other throughout the years. The problem is that a mansion stood very near where I dug the coin. It's re diddled with iron and all type of fill from both the park and the mansion. You need to go down at least 9 to 10"s to obtain the rich brown soil that once laid the landscape. On top of the soil mentioned is coal ash, rocky fill, and iron, not to mention relics from the mansion, window locks, washers, nails, square nails, copper roofing splints, shards of all kinds, and your typical cans, memorial pennies, wheats, clad... and this beauty... the 1626 Duit Dutch coin. Don has described the coin on his post... Thanks Don.
headbang.gif

I was not going out yesterday, as I was not feeling well for the last few days, but felt better enough to go to my favorite park for a quiet hunt, so I thought. I started at almost the beginning of where the mansion stood, and as I said before, it looked like this area was used to dump the coal ashes, and iron garbage in the ground as fill. I usually shy away from this area for this known reason, but for some reason I've always had a feeling that this be the older developed area of the park, something special lied beneath the soil. I had already dug some nice buckles, and a nice condition 1831 large cent, not far from where this Dutch coin was dug... I started down the exact middle of the open field and concentrated on certain target numbers on my MineLab E-Trac Metal Detector.
wav.gif

As I passed the center door way which I believe is from where the wagon and carts brought the coal ashes an trash, and I began digging wheat's, which I was not finding in all the years hunting that area, as I drew closer to the lagoon, I dug two wheat's in one hole, but the next target next to iron was so sweet, because even though it had a reading of 1240 on the E-Trac, it sounded completely different. This target was supposed to be a wheat penny, a seated dime or even a half dime. Even though there was iron, I was getting a solid 1240 no matter what or how fast I swung my coil, and the tell tale sign was that it was deep, and I had to investigate, but wanted to be very careful as to not harm the coin. I pin pointed the target and dug a 10' diameter hole and left the lid on the grass, and went down all the way with my Samson Spade. it took four of them to bring out the dirt, stuck my probe and it was still reading the target, so out with the Lasche and carefully digging down and around, the coin came up with the loosen dirt, and low and behold I saw it on top of the mount of soil and could not believe what I was seeing... My first thought was, this is a re-pro or a counterfeit, but when I saw the edges and how thin the coin was I knew it was a real coin, and as I held it in my hand, I can feel being transported back in time ti that very spot when the coin was dropped, I placed it in my plastic bag separated from other stuff I had dug. But,the curiosity hit me again, and I removed it and looked at it again, being very careful not to cause any damage to the coin and again was transported back in time as I look at the date 1626... Wow, what a feeling to dig a coin almost 400 years old before this country was even a nation, and sometimes I think that perhaps even a Native Indian found this coin and just discarded, or lost it himself going down to the lagoon to buy flint from the Dutch, because the Indians did trade and buy flint to make arrow heads. I can go on and on... with all I have learned from research of the area and Robert Apuzzo, whose written a few books on colonialism. Thanks for all the feed back on this post... Please consider this coin for the Banner, after reading some more of the history, I think it merits its place there as historical coin of NY.

Philo
tongue3.gif

Attachments

• 1626 copper use 2.jpg
    1626 copper use 2.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,013
  • 1626 copper use.jpg
    1626 copper use.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 1,102
Last edited:
Upvote 40

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I voted banner as well. Very cool to think that either the guy who bought Manhattan island, or someone he likely knew, probably held that coin at some point...

There was quite a Dutch colony in New Amsterdam and that coin was probably in circulation for a while. Kinda like finding an 18 C coin in VA and saying George Washington or someone he knew may have held it. ;)

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool coin find! Congratulations.

Steve

lumbergh

Jul 22, 2013
Wake County (Raleigh Area), North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE PRO, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Fisher Metal Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was quite a Dutch colony in New Amsterdam and that coin was probably in circulation for a while. Kinda like finding an 18 C coin in VA and saying George Washington or someone he knew may have held it. ;)

I disagree. New Amsterdam was not located in the Bronx. The Bronx is farther north. Here's a wikipedia link for reference:
The Bronx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regardless, you'll never know. Guess it's sometimes fun to rain on other people's parade though. ???

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never said that New Amsterdam was in the Bronx! As far as I'm aware it was located in part of where Manhattan is now. The coin was found in the Bronx and we discussed the Dutch origins for the names of the Bronx and Brooklyn.
BTW, I have no idea what you mean by "Regardless, you'll never know. Guess it's sometimes fun to rain on other people's parade though.
huh.gif
"

I disagree. New Amsterdam was not located in the Bronx. The Bronx is farther north. Here's a wikipedia link for reference:
The Bronx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regardless, you'll never know. Guess it's sometimes fun to rain on other people's parade though. ???

lumbergh

Jul 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE PRO, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Fisher Metal Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, I have no idea what you mean by "Regardless, you'll never know. Guess it's sometimes fun to rain on other people's parade though.
huh.gif
"

I just meant you'll never know who actually held the coin, so why suggest that it's akin to a Virginia coin that George Washington held? Besides, there are probably plenty of Virginia coins that George Washington DID hold, so even that is more "raining on the parade".

"Raining on someone's parade" -> this means taking away the excitement of a find (in this case) just because you want to seem like you know more than that person.

As far as the find - it was reported as being found in the Bronx, not the south end of Manhattan Island.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I meant based on the sheer size of the Dutch colony that was in what is now the Greater New York area (it was not a small group of people--you may want to read the book that was referenced in an earlier post), I was simply trying to point out how unlikely your statement was regarding who may have held that coin. I didn't take anything away from the find, in fact if you read back you'll see that I was the first person to nominate it for a spot on the banner. Let's just drop this as I'd much rather talk about the coin and/or the original Dutch colony.

lumbergh

Jul 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I meant based on the sheer size of the Dutch colony that was in what is now the Greater New York area (it was not a small group of people--you may want to read the book that was referenced in an earlier post), I was simply trying to point out how unlikely your statement was regarding who may have held that coin. I didn't take anything away from the find, in fact if you read back you'll see that I was the first person to nominate it for a spot on the banner. Let's just drop this as I'd much rather talk about the coin and/or the original Dutch colony.

Ha, sure sounds good to me. I hate online pissing matches. I was just happy for the guy who found the coin. :)

I'll take a look at that book too...

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Dutch copper a rare one to find , out here the east end of Long Island there is a few early Dutch settlements 1630,s and 1640,s . Congratulations on the Banner .Jim

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow what an Amazing find and a great identification..Congrats! :hello2::hello2::hello2:

I'll admit I had to stare at the two photos for quite a while before the date jumped out at me, finally. Thanks to Don for the Great ID!

The Bronx has special meaning to me and finding this post awakened some memories.

I'd like to recommend a great book .. fiction but with a very authentic historical background on the city and surroundings of New York. The book is simply titled , New York: The Novel by Edward Rutherfurd.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Any day you can dig a coin that's 387 years old is a good day! :occasion14:
I've always been interested in the history regarding the 'Dutch connection' to
New Amsterdam.

Thought you might be interested to see a 2-piece New York City State Seal Button I found
here in Ontario last year , it has a very unique back attachment! :icon_scratch:
Dave

Attachments

• City of New York - State Seal Button 001.jpg
    City of New York - State Seal Button 001.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 201
  • City of New York State Seal Button 002.jpg
    City of New York State Seal Button 002.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:notworthy: Sometimes it's not so bad to give a 'Bronx Cheer'...Congratulations on making BANNER! :notworthy:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Old Copper. Very glad it held up like that. In the first photos I imagined I saw a lion image.
First time I've heard of or seen the 'maiden' imagery on a Dutch coin.
It is interesting that some older coins are quite thin in relation to their diameter, maybe it was to make them seem 'bigger'
A bit more info on your coin, from the Krause catalog. "Maiden sitting in enclosed fence with right hand raised".
As Mackaydon stated, the reverse date version was only a two year issue 1626/27, listed Netherlands Holland KM#30.
Here's where things get rather strange, in 1626, the Duit (two Pennings) was not only struck in 2.93 grams of copper,
but also in 2.10 grams of silver with the same design elements, listed as KM#30b.
This reminds me a bit of our 1982 US Cent, struck both in 3.1 grams of 'copper' (value of something over $.02) and in 2.5 grams of plated zinc (pretty much worthless).

Congrats on the great recovery and Banner :thumbsup:

Itsmine

Apr 14, 2012
New Lenox, Il.
Detector(s) used
Garrets Coin Comander 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You may want to inform the NY Historical Society. With the date on that being so close to the sale of Manhattan, it could be historically, incredibly important. Which btw would greatly increase the value, not from its actual value, but the history associated with it. Think about it. Here's a Dutch coin that coincedentally is the same year the Dutch bought Mahattan island...WOW....GREAT FIND.

OP
OP
Col.Philo95thNY

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLab Explorer I & II, SE Pro, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher 6a, Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love your Bible Quote... Thanks and God Bless You...

Philo

OP
OP
Col.Philo95thNY

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes... Those buttons were made for the heavier coats. They enable to reach through the thick wool and then fastened to the back... Not too many of those show up, and I have a larger one with the regular loop shank... Nice find..

Philo

Any day you can dig a coin that's 387 years old is a good day! :occasion14:
I've always been interested in the history regarding the 'Dutch connection' to
New Amsterdam.

Thought you might be interested to see a 2-piece New York City State Seal Button I found
here in Ontario last year , it has a very unique back attachment! :icon_scratch:
Dave

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why the hobby of md is so wonderful. You don't just pick a coin up like this everyday! Philo, a big congrats buddy! U R the man!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang:Sweet ! Another historical save.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread