🥇 BANNER Once in a life time find

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLab Explorer I & II, SE Pro, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher 6a, Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had written a nice post and up loaded the pictures and then I X the page and all gone. So, I will not be rewriting the post as I had it before. Anyway, it was to 8 to 9"s deep and came in as 1240 on my E-Trac, but sounded really nice compared to other 40's. Here it is... 1626. Any help as to what coin it is will be appreciated. Thanks...HH.

Col.Philo

Here is the story of how I got to dig this coin...

laughing7.gif
Don Hit the nail on the head, and WildCat, Eric gave me some insight as to the history and why this coin although not valuable, is in respect to history and where it was dug. The coin did not come from an area that would be considered virgin, because it's been hunted to death by me and many other throughout the years. The problem is that a mansion stood very near where I dug the coin. It's re diddled with iron and all type of fill from both the park and the mansion. You need to go down at least 9 to 10"s to obtain the rich brown soil that once laid the landscape. On top of the soil mentioned is coal ash, rocky fill, and iron, not to mention relics from the mansion, window locks, washers, nails, square nails, copper roofing splints, shards of all kinds, and your typical cans, memorial pennies, wheats, clad... and this beauty... the 1626 Duit Dutch coin. Don has described the coin on his post... Thanks Don.
headbang.gif

I was not going out yesterday, as I was not feeling well for the last few days, but felt better enough to go to my favorite park for a quiet hunt, so I thought. I started at almost the beginning of where the mansion stood, and as I said before, it looked like this area was used to dump the coal ashes, and iron garbage in the ground as fill. I usually shy away from this area for this known reason, but for some reason I've always had a feeling that this be the older developed area of the park, something special lied beneath the soil. I had already dug some nice buckles, and a nice condition 1831 large cent, not far from where this Dutch coin was dug... I started down the exact middle of the open field and concentrated on certain target numbers on my MineLab E-Trac Metal Detector.
wav.gif

As I passed the center door way which I believe is from where the wagon and carts brought the coal ashes an trash, and I began digging wheat's, which I was not finding in all the years hunting that area, as I drew closer to the lagoon, I dug two wheat's in one hole, but the next target next to iron was so sweet, because even though it had a reading of 1240 on the E-Trac, it sounded completely different. This target was supposed to be a wheat penny, a seated dime or even a half dime. Even though there was iron, I was getting a solid 1240 no matter what or how fast I swung my coil, and the tell tale sign was that it was deep, and I had to investigate, but wanted to be very careful as to not harm the coin. I pin pointed the target and dug a 10' diameter hole and left the lid on the grass, and went down all the way with my Samson Spade. it took four of them to bring out the dirt, stuck my probe and it was still reading the target, so out with the Lasche and carefully digging down and around, the coin came up with the loosen dirt, and low and behold I saw it on top of the mount of soil and could not believe what I was seeing... My first thought was, this is a re-pro or a counterfeit, but when I saw the edges and how thin the coin was I knew it was a real coin, and as I held it in my hand, I can feel being transported back in time ti that very spot when the coin was dropped, I placed it in my plastic bag separated from other stuff I had dug. But,the curiosity hit me again, and I removed it and looked at it again, being very careful not to cause any damage to the coin and again was transported back in time as I look at the date 1626... Wow, what a feeling to dig a coin almost 400 years old before this country was even a nation, and sometimes I think that perhaps even a Native Indian found this coin and just discarded, or lost it himself going down to the lagoon to buy flint from the Dutch, because the Indians did trade and buy flint to make arrow heads. I can go on and on... with all I have learned from research of the area and Robert Apuzzo, whose written a few books on colonialism. Thanks for all the feed back on this post... Please consider this coin for the Banner, after reading some more of the history, I think it merits its place there as historical coin of NY.

Philo
tongue3.gif

Attachments

• 1626 copper use 2.jpg
    1626 copper use 2.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,013
  • 1626 copper use.jpg
    1626 copper use.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 1,102
Last edited:
Upvote 40

Chuxter

Jul 29, 2013
Awesome to find something that old!! Hope someone knows what exactly it is!

OP
OP
Col.Philo95thNY

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLab Explorer I & II, SE Pro, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher 6a, Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug in the Bronx NY, The coin is thin and is a little larger than a dime. I found some coins on the web... but most were from the 1700's with the logo Hol Landia with 1626 on the bottom. So it is a Colonial Dutch Coin...

Philo

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I believe your coin is a Dutch (Holland) Duit, Holland, copper. (The years 1626 and 1627 the only years of this type (year under Hollandia) Description:. Front: HOL / LANDIA / year, in a wreath of laurel 4, top and bottom connected by a rosette and left and right . 2 bulbs Rear: VIRGIN, seated in a Dutch garden, with the right arm pointing to the sun (AVX.NOS.IN.NOM.DOM) value according to catalog Dutch Coins:. Very good: EUR 25.00 fine: EUR 50 00 Very fine: EUR 100.00.
Great find !!
Don........

OP
OP
Col.Philo95thNY

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug in the Bronx NY, The coin is thin and is a little larger than a dime. I found some coin on the web... but are from the 1700's with the logo Hol Landia with 1626 on the bottom. So it is a Colonial Dutch Coin...

Philo

Thanks to Mackaydon who clear up the mystory on the origin of the this coin... Very informative...

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What makes this extra cool is that the Dutch purchased the island of Manhattan in 1626 and it was found in the area. To me the coin may have value as an old dutch coin, but being found in the NY area of America with THAT DATE multiplies it by 10x. NICE FIND!

Peter Minuit, Pieter Minuit, Pierre Minuit or Peter Minnewit (1580 – August 5, 1638) was a Walloon from Wesel, in present-day North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany, then part of the Duchy of Cleves. He was Director of the Dutch colony of New Netherland from 1626 until 1633, and founded the Swedish colony of New Sweden in 1638. According to tradition, he purchased the island of Manhattan from Native Americans on May 24, 1626 for goods valued at 60 Dutch guilders, which in the 19th century was estimated to be the equivalent of $24 (or $1,000 USD in 2006).

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sep 19, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What makes this extra cool is that the Dutch purchased the island of Manhattan in 1626 and it was found in the area. To me the coin may have value as an old dutch coin, but being found in the NY area of America with THAT DATE multiplies it by 10x. NICE FIND!
Absolutely PHENOMENAL find.... Digging 17th C. coins in the states doesn't happen very often, so always something to get excited about... But as Henry says, when you combine that with the local history, that just puts it over the top in terms of historical significance... Fantastic find...

THRICK

Aug 21, 2013
eastern ON
Detector(s) used
minelab excallibur, minelab x-terra, whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Dutch influence in our area is deep and far reaching. Fascinating history. That is a fantastic find for the US and especially the Greater New York Area! This should be on the banner as far as I'm concerned--I nominated it! Congrats!

Last edited:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that the Bronx derived its name from Jonas Bronck and was part of the outlying areas of the Dutch settlement of New Amsterdam. There were homes and plantations located there - much like our suburbs today. I'm no expert but your piece could very well date from the Dutch colonial period in New York!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This really is a once-in-a-lifetime find, congrats! Not often do we see early 1600s coins found here in the states. I would recommend you be careful with the way you treat this coin, as the surfaces look vulnerable to peeling away. I understand your frustrated losing your original post, but do you think you could give us a brief version of how this coin was found? Was it in virgin soil?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is one fantastic recovery, both in terms of age and history. I'd be very proud of that one!

Cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread