Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Feeling pretty stoked from having dug a cannon yesterday, I headed out today in search of more fragments. All I turned up were plow points. I still have not given up hope! I dug up several non ferrous items as well, including two hand poured primitive molded wood cast lead ingots. They are very interesting because the individual made a mold with a hand drill and you can see the marks left from the bit! This was just interesting to me, no real value...

The prize winner for today was a rare Confederate relic from the time of the Civil War. While I thought for sure it was yet another Bingham School button(see signature) it turns out that it is actually a Confederate Block I button! The backmark must be rare too, because it does not appear to match up with Harry's on relicman.com in the "block I" category. The backmark reads "COURTNEY & TENNANT" and apparently this was a manufacturing company for the Confederacy in South Carolina!

*****Per Harry, "scarce and desirable backmark," and "a Charleston, SC, importer of military goods for the Confederacy."

I have researched the backmark with this button front and have concluded that this button may be exclusive, and unique!!!!!

Here are the pictures!
IMAG1789.jpg

IMAG1791.jpg

cs1.jpeg

cs2.jpeg
IMAG1792.jpg
IMAG1793.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 9

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome "I" button! Congrats to you. Sounds pretty rare. You are having a super week. :occasion14:
-MM-

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
The COURTNEY & TENNENT backmark is one rarely seen these days. Nice find!!! :icon_thumright:

Smith, Kemp & Wright, a British manufacturing company located in Birmingham England, actually produced these Confederate uniform buttons for the Charleston partnership of Courtney & Tennent. This particular Confederate Infantry button, featuring a lined Roman style "I", is more commonly seen with either the "SUPERIOR QUALITY" backmark, or simply a blank back.

The button is listed as CSI203 A.1 {Albert's CS172}, in Uniform Buttons of the United States 1776-1865, by Warren K. Tice. While not unique by any means, the backmark of Courtney & Tennent is quite desirable and rarely encountered. In fact, I have the exact same Confederate Lined "I" button in my collection, with the Courtney & Tennent backmark, dug by my father nearly 30 years ago.

William C. Courtney and Gilbert B. Tennent were dealers in hardware, military goods, etc., based in Charleston S.C. from about 1849 to 1865. During the American Civil War, the overseas activities of Courtney & Tennent largely contributed towards establishing Britain as an economic ally of the Confederacy. Tennent relocated to England, where he sold Confederate cotton bonds, acting as a middleman between the Confederate military and British manufacturers.

These buttons featuring the Courtney & Tennent backmark, and other much needed war supplies as well as commercial products, were shipped into Southern ports utilizing swift and sleek steamships, plying the waters off the coast often in darkness of night, in their bold and dangerous forays to avoid the Union Blockade of gunships. Tragically, some never reached the safety of home port, instead striking reefs, shoals, and hidden bars, not to mention the deadly shot of the Yankee Navy. The S.S. Georgianna met such a fate, running aground in an effort to avoid capture. A close friend of ours, and experienced salvage diver, Kevin Rooney, was actively involved in the location and recovery of this very wreck many years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSS_Georgiana

In the classic movie "Gone with the Wind", the character Rhett Butler, portrays a Southern businessman engaged with the lucrative and dangerous blockade running business.

Relics such as this Courtney & Tennent marked button, have quite a story to tell, of intrigue, travel across the seas, danger, and so much more!

:occasion14:

CC Hunter

Last edited:
OP
OP
FoundInNC

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@CCHUNTER, that was quite a reply! I very much appreciate it! The story that goes with the backmark on this button is priceless. Though it is not exclusive, I am still satisfied with knowing that it is extremely rare bearing the Courtney & Tennent backmark. Thank you for the Albert's and Tice's reference numbers! This button holds a special place in my collection because it is my first Confederate button that is not a CS State Seal button or a CS Military Academy button. I wonder what a button like mine would be valued at? I would never sell it, I am just curious. Thanks again!

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
I wonder what a button like mine would be valued at? I would never sell it, I am just curious. Thanks again!

As with most collectibles, condition is extremely important, greatly affecting valuation. With collectible military buttons, a missing shank, pushes in the face (on hollow 2-piece or 3-piece style buttons), or heavy ground action, can each impact value by nearly 50%. With all three factors and more, the retail value may only be a fraction of a more pristine example. Recent market trends of these coat size CS172 buttons, have been in the $200.+ range, with the more common Superior Quality or blank backmarks. The more desirable Courtney & Tennent backmark, will certainly add a premium. However, the condition factors will likely pull the value down to about 20% +/- of a perfect example.

Following is a dealer listing for the most perfect and flawless, dug condition, Courtney & Tennent marked Confederate Lined I button, that one will ever see. The button has everything going for condition and quality, and surely cannot be found in more perfect condition anywhere. Listed at a $350. selling price.

New Items - Army of Tennessee Relics | Confederate Belt Buckles, Artillery, Buttons, all Authentic Civil War Relics

CC Hunter

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smith Kemp & Wright also produced confederate button "C" and i think also "I's" with no back-marks, just for future reference if you didn't know..

Button depicts lined "C" in block style on plain background, imported through the blockade, intended for the Confederate cavalry. Backmark: blank with no contours, this is English manufacture, blank perhaps to disguise the origin, probably Smith Kemp Wright, (BlankEng03, coat). Two part convex button, coat size, well made English button. Ridgeway Civil War Archive Confederate Cavalry Buttons

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions