Found 5 Peace dollars, 3 half dollars & more in a new form or treasure hunting!

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been religiously attending a weekly auction this past year. This auction sells a lot of boxed lots on pallets (about 4-7 boxes per pallet). This stuff comes from consignments, estates, store bankruptcies, police seizures, storage units & other sources as well.

After spending a lot of money & making a lot of money off buying these pallets & selling the higher dollar best items on eBay, the cheaper lower grade items at flea markets or other auction houses, a few nice big garage sales the past year. Along with some scraping as well. I’ve done pretty good & found lots of treasure type items.

People buy these pallets for many different reasons, some to cherry pick the best stuff & then they throw away the rest, some for just an item or two they could see in the boxes & they pitch the rest, some buy way more than they can transport & they repack their boxes to condense the load but still throw away a lot of the so called “junk”. Throwing away here is basically dropping the pallet off (with the boxes full of whatever they didn’t want) at the dumpsters. Many people look thru & take things they want from these boxes before it ends up actually in the dumpster.

I have now discovered a new type of treasure hunting.. Upon searching these boxes of so called "trash" my most recent find yesterday was a small folded up hard plastic bag containing 5 Peace dollars (2-1922 & 3-1923) all in uncirculated condition along with 1 1944 walking liberty half in poor condition, 1 1963 Franklin half in great shape, 1 1964 Kennedy half in great shape & to top it off a folder but uncirculated 1963 red seal $2 bill!

2 weeks ago I found 120 Wrigley’s Spearmint Gum profit sharing coupons in the denomination of 5 coupon notes from the depression era (1920’s), (& they sell for between $4 & $5 each on eBay). Also 1 1920’s Wrigley’s spearmint gum wrapper with a single profit sharing coupon printed inside it. 3 Wrigley’s “double coupons in this box” dealer notices that look similar to the 5 denomination profit sharing coupon notes but I can’t find any like these for sale anywhere. This day also yielded a bankers stamp pad from 1911 that I’m unable to find a value on, 1.7 grams of 14K gold in the form of bent up hoop earrings, several brass items totaling almost a pound.

4 weeks ago I found a blue velvet box in the bottom of a box full of picture frames this blue box containing a commemorative silver 1986 dollar & half dollar.

I’ve found many other treasures in the trash including African animal carvings, teak wood carvings, a carved Easter island looking face on some sort of animal horn, a very cool cast chrome ashtray, military buttons, a couple case knives, tin toys from the 50’s, old marbles, old lead crystal items, a few vintage Redline HotWheels, old first edition books, vintage first edition board games, vintage 50’s kitchen items & the list goes on.

Anyway just something new I wanted to share since the ground is to hard to dig in here & has it been for a while now.

Last edited:
Upvote 3

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, nothin' like dumpster diving. It's amazing what gets thrown away.

One warning, be careful how much you drag home, or you may be on "hoarders" one day.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions