Some Treasures in the Trash Heap! (ID Help?)

Stripeythecrab

Apr 4, 2013
WI, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WARNING: LARGE PHOTOS AND FILES! Also, I apologize for the sideways photos. I'm new to this board and haven't figured out the photo thing too well yet.

So I decided to check out an old spot I stumbled upon earlier last year. I've established it's some kind of old dump. Last year I dug up a really nice patent medicine bottle that dated c. 1900, and today's finds also helped date the site.

Anyway, when I got there, I realized this was not a detector site - all I had to do was dig! Literally every single scoop of the trowel brought up either a fragmented piece of ceramic, glass or iron sheet. Most of it was junk. In fact, a lot of it was junk. (Not sure what I was expecting, considering it's a heap of trash.)

I found lots of old can lids, bottle fragments, random pieces of iron, and a can that had an ant nest inside it... :sadsmiley:

IMG_2494.JPG
See? Lots of junk.

IMG_2495.JPG
More junk.

IMG_2496.JPG
And more junk!

But I ended up finding some interesting pieces among the garbage. I'm not sure what all of them are, and I'm hoping some of you could enlighten me.

IMG_2497.JPG
An overview of my keepers.

Alright, so I know these two are fruit jar lids with the Boyd-style ceramic lining. But I'm not sure how old they are. There's not a lot of info about them online.

IMG_2498.JPG
"The Mason Fruit Jar Company, Philadelphia, PA."

IMG_2499.JPG
"The Hero Fruit Jar Company, Phila. PA." I really like the cross emblem on this lid!

IMG_2500.JPG
This looks like a piece of a wrench or some other tool. On one side it reads "PAT SEPT 1875." and on the other "REIS'D JUNE 187?"

IMG_2501.JPG
Now these are my favorite finds of the day! On the bottom left is some piece of hardware, and on the right is a patterned piece of iron. I'm not sure, but it reminds me of a belt buckle. The thing on top, I have no idea what it is...

Here's a better look:
IMG_2502.JPG
It has an ornate little design around the outside. And when I turn the knob, the small piece of metal on the back moves back and forth. It almost reminds me of some kind of stove knob, but I have no real idea. Any ID help would be much appreciated!

IMG_2503.JPG
I also picked up a dented old oil can, a railroad spike, one round nail and three square ones.

IMG_2504.JPG
These three pieces of glass intrigued me. The one reads "-YER'S" and the other "O EXT." They were probably some sort of medicine or something. I have no idea what such a texture as the one on the right would be useful for!

IMG_2505.JPG
I found some bottlenecks, a leather bit of a shoe, and some random metal.

IMG_2506.JPG
And some milky white glass, porcelain, and a fancily patterned glass along with some other glass bits.

So there you have it! Not too bad for searching an area of less than 100 square feet for less than an hour! I'd appreciate any help with some ID's or insight and info about anything. Thanks for taking a look at my finds!

Upvote 5

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. Id I we're you I would bring an iron rake. I bet there's whole old bottles there.

OP
OP
Stripeythecrab

Stripeythecrab

Apr 4, 2013
WI, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Western Sky, that looks spot on! Thank you! :icon_thumright:

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
AmberTheHero.jpg

Hey Stripey,

Welcome to TNet, and thanks for showing us these bits from your new dump.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to return forthwith, armed with shovels and scratchers, and dig the heck outta that place. You've got surface deposits of TOC, and earlier glass shards, kerosene lamp burner, square nails. Sounds like an engraved invitation to excavate extensively to me.

I think you've found a hunk of a Sawyer's Crystal Bluing, and an extract bottle.

9875897_1.jpg

The real compelling shard that got my goats going was that ice blue hobnail. I love hobnailed glass.

58cc9ea1.jpg

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
WELCOME TO T-NET! You've definitely jumped in dramatically -- GROOVY FINDS! :notworthy: :blob9: :occasion18:

If you take it slow & easy when you return with rake, shovel, gloves, tent & the rest of your camping gear & a week's supply of food
:tongue3: :laughing7:, you're gonna dig intact bottles and wonderful surprises! Old silver possibly! Your presentation & pics here are excellent. HAVE FUN!

Maybe wear your parka if it's already snowy & freezing up there. My oldest daughter lived in St. Paul for several years & then moved to Ontario to get warm, lol.

Andi

OP
OP
Stripeythecrab

Stripeythecrab

Apr 4, 2013
WI, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks so much for the warm welcomes, everyone! As soon as I get a break from my schoolwork, I'll be heading right back to this spot with all the right tools! They were right: I'm hooked! I can't wait to see what I find! :laughing9:

love2Dig!

Sep 23, 2013
Port Isabel
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE
Garrett AT Pro
Welcome and some cool stuff you dug there and it's definitely a site letting you know there are all kinds of goodies waiting to be plucked! Bet there is silver there and I bet you find some.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread