Had a "HALF" day yesterday. Seated liberty HALF dime and a barber HALF dollar.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a "HALF" day yesterday. Seated liberty HALF dime and a barber HALF dollar.

Got out for a quick hunt with my brother yesterday. We went to an old farm that the owner says was built in 1840. I hunted for an hour without much to show except a few wheat pennies. Ended up finding 8 wheats on the day. I made my way around to the side yard that the owner said used to be used as a grass tennis court. A very large flat area. Wasn't there too long before I had a jumpy signal that was bouncing from 65 to 85 on my VX3 and was pinpointing at 5 inches. Turned out to be a very small coin that I knew had to be a half dime or a three center. Came out of the hole encrusted in dirt.

003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

Turned out to be an 1839 seated liberty half dime. Washed it off a bit in water but it still has quite a bit of black tarnish on it.

022.JPG 023.JPG

Made my way back around to the front yard and got a zinc penny signal at 1 inch deep. I always dig zinc penny signals regardless of depth at older home sites. You can never be sure whether or not the ground was disturbed/graded/etc. Glad I dug this one because it turned out to be a nice 1882 indian head cent. Gotta love finding IH's at 1 inch.

019.JPG 020.JPG

About 10 feet from the IH I got a solid 86 VDI hit indicating a depth of 2 1/2 inches. I was thinking clad quarter until I saw the glint of silver in the hole. Was psyched to see a 1903 barber half dollar. My third barber half this year. :headbang:

009.JPG 008.JPG 010.JPG
011.JPG 017.JPG 018.JPG

Also found an interesting army guy in the same area.

015.JPG

Dug a nice bridle rosette over near the barn.

016.JPG

A few compilation pictures of yesterdays finds.

012.JPG 013.JPG 014.JPG

Thanks for looking folks and happy hunting.

Last edited:
Upvote 12
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice haul of goodies! :occasion14: I can't even find a Barber quarter let alone a Half. :BangHead: Congrats on the half dime too.
MM
Thanks for the reply MM. Strangely, the barber quarter has eluded me as well thus far. I've been very lucky with the barber half dollars this year.

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds 3 great coins in a hunt! That's awesome. WTG, HH

Fattony315

May 17, 2013
Up state ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt pal, love old silver. You think you could leave a 1/2 for me? I would like to find one this year.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a couple closer pics of the half dime.

022a.jpg 023a.jpg

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt pal, love old silver. You think you could leave a 1/2 for me? I would like to find one this year.
I have a feeling it will come before the end of the year for you.... and then they'll come in bunches. You've got me doubled up in the large copper category though. :laughing7:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a killer day you had. some really awesome coins and relics there, Congrats
ZDD

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What awesome hunts. Congratulations on some super hunts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread