Today, I hit the metal detecting lottery: Massive gold coin AND first ring

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today, I hit the metal detecting lottery. I couldn't believe my eyes when I literally pulled a $2000 gold coin from the ground. This coin is the 50 Mexican peso piece, known as the Centanario. It is 90% gold and 37.5 g of gold. Not only that, but whoever owned it placed inside a gold rope covering, further increasing the value. I'll post a link to the coin value soon. Plus, I also found an old college sterling silver ring. What a day. This is why I LOVE this hobby. Incidentally, this is my first ever ring find and first ever gold coin find, all in the same day!

50_peso_front_10_3_13.jpg

ring_10_3_13_weslyeyan_college.jpg

Upvote 11

Chevyfan2k9

Aug 27, 2013
Conway,sc
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta 4000,fisher f2,garrett gta350,bounty hunter elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Congrats

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet coin, sounds like a true BANNER find, are there more pics?

The Dig Dig

Aug 25, 2013
Tampa, FL.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites E-Series (as my back up) Whites Surf Pro P.I. (for water) and a Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, that would be the lottery. Congrats, great finds

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to harsh on your buzz, but are you SURE that is a gold coin? It looks pretty rough and "coppery" in your picture.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love that. Sweet find for sure! :thumbsup:

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Magooru

Aug 13, 2013
Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett GTI 2000 (sold), White's XLT(sold), Garrett AT Pro, Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome and crazy at the same time! Who has the neck muscles to wear that around all day? Was this found in a public area or a private area? Just trying to keep a dream of finding something like that alive.

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to harsh on your buzz, but are you SURE that is a gold coin? It looks pretty rough and "coppery" in your picture.

I have to agree with Jason on this one. I've seen these pendants before they are plated replicas in Gold filled bezels. gold coins won't come out of the ground looking corroded like that. But will still have their yellow luster. Might wanna get it checked out or weigh it. The coin itself should weigh 41.6 grams by itself. add about another 5 grams for the bezel you should have a weight of about 47 grams. Hope its real but from my experience it looks like a replica.

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That ring sure traveled a bit, didn't it? Congrats on your finds and thanks for sharing with us.

OP
OP
cusedpjd

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, well that was embarrassing. I weighed it and it is 26.4 g. So, it can't be real. My only hope now is that it has some gold in it. Does anyone think it has any value at all? I found it in a public park, about 6 inches down. I had my suspicions based on the wear, but let my emotions get the better of me once I found the price online. Plus, I have never even seen one of these things, let alone a replica. Sigh. Well, at least I found my first ring today! :)

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, well that was embarrassing. I weighed it and it is 26.4 g. So, it can't be real. My only hope now is that it has some gold in it. Does anyone think it has any value at all? I found it in a public park, about 6 inches down. I had my suspicions based on the wear, but let my emotions get the better of me once I found the price online. Plus, I have never even seen one of these things, let alone a replica. Sigh. Well, at least I found my first ring today! :)

The plated coin doesn't really have any value BUT it is still a neat find. The ring is really cool though. I hope you do find a real gold coin one day! (I'm still waiting on mine!)

OP
OP
cusedpjd

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no initials on the ring but it says "STERLING S+" inside. I was wondering if that dates the ring somewhat because nowadays sterling silver marks say .925. Was this an old way of marking Sterling Silver?

John_Deere

Mar 7, 2013
Fredericksburg
Detector(s) used
Personal: Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Family: White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's ring pretty neat, but I don't know what to say about the coin. I want to believe...

Regardless, congrats on the finds, and HH!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is normally a more modern designation for sterling - nice find . I too was dubious when I saw what was obviously some kind of oxidation
or corrosion on the coin . High karat gold is nearly incapable of attracting oxides , and is pretty much incorruptible by anything in the environment .
500 and 1000 year old gold coins come out of the ground and the sea, like the day they were lost .

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are no initials on the ring but it says "STERLING S+" inside. I was wondering if that dates the ring somewhat because nowadays sterling silver marks say .925. Was this an old way of marking Sterling Silver?

Well I think the year on the ring dates it for you--1943 wasn't it??

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've seen at least two of these posted on detecting forums in the past. from the information that followed those finds, evidently the 50 peso coin is one of the more commonly sold gold coin replicas. it's still a cool find though

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread