Early Colonial-Period Finds - 1600s Baldric Buckle Frag., Silver Dutch Coin, Buttons

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early Colonial-Period Finds - 1600's Baldric Buckle Frag., Silver Dutch Coin, Buttons

This is a catch-up post, as I haven't posted any of my more interesting finds over the past two months. I’ve got a good find from last week to post on the forum soon, but I wanted to cover some earlier recoveries. Please let me know of any suggestions or thoughts on identification of finds, especially if I'm mistaken. I confused a broken downspout bracket with a matchlock musket rest due to my wishful thinking several years back!!! :dontknow:

Here’s a rundown –

soldier-17th-century-buckle.jpg
This 17th Century soldier wears a wide baldric buckle for his sword. Baldrics were worn for carrying swords or trumpets.

P7220161.JPG
I believe I found a mid-to-late 17th Century baldric buckle. The center bar is too long for a shoe buckle, and it's far too big for a spur buckle. If it's a baldric, the broken condition is a bit of a let down - a bitter sweet find.

P7220160.JPG
Another 17th Century buckle fragment - horse harness - I found an exact match on a UK website. Plowing destroyed a lot of finds in this particular field.

P8030231.JPG
Jaw Harp & a cone or acorn knop spoon handle end. It appears that the spoon handle was possibly modified for use as a pipe tamper.

P9150006_01.JPG
There's not much left to this spoon bowl, but I like the decorative design which dates back to the 1600's - very unusual. It was found with the early buckle frags.

Pewter-spoon-b-sides.jpg
Here is a complete specimen that I found online from an excavation at London Bridge.

P7220158.JPG
Here's a 1789 cut silver coin. It believe that it's a Dutch coin of low-grade silver - billon.

P7220159.JPG
Other side of the coin

PA100049.JPG
I got another early artillery button at this site. Almost everything posted here is from one site.

PA100050.JPG
Here's the best buttons from this site. Sorry - some of these was already shown a while back.

P7180155.JPG
This appears to be a very early pewter button.

P7180152.JPG
I like the gilt on this cufflink, but you have not seen anything yet!!!

PA100052.JPG
This is my first early fob seal holder. Too bad it's missing the seal. I even sifted the dirt for the seal, hoping to get lucky.

PA100059.JPG
Here's a growing pile of the remaining buttons, musket balls, etc. from a single field. It's quite a site, though it's not yet produced a single Spanish silver coin. I began working the site early in year, mostly the spring, but progress has slowed to a crawl due to very hard, dry soil. I'm up to 35 coppers at this one field. There's got to be some good silver coins out there somewhere.

Good Hunting to All

Last edited:
Upvote 8

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that is a killer stack of finds there! Congrats!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Will said a great stack of finds :thumbsup: The Buckle is a half of a double loop buckle, and a early one, Very nice.:thumbsup: The coin is a Austrian Netherlands 14 Liards (billion as you say) struck in the name of emperor Joseph II.

UK Finds Database - - - UKDFD

SS

Last edited:

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. I really like that buckle. Very cool looking

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Those are some AWESOME finds and great history behind each one, Congrats and thanks for posting them :thumbsup:

Bubba65

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You gave perfect pictures and explanations of what we were looking at. Congrats on some wonderful finds. Any piece would be great alone, but the entire collection is amazing. Thanks for the details in your post. Good luck on the return trips.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Vonclemen29

Apr 15, 2013
Central mississippi
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter commando, minelab xterra 505 9", 6" coil, minelab pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freakin awesome!! Congrats! I'd be calling that place, the field of dreams. Keep diggin

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C'mon now , Tree Chaser , :hello2:
you have to seem more excited about those oldies :icon_scratch:

these kind of hunt's may be a common occurrence for you ,

I have news for you ,

if I found an area with that quality of Early relics ,
I would be camping out on that place all weekend
rain or shine , bugs or NO bugs .
Can you give us interested readers a rundown of the 35 coppers ,
type , dates , some pics would be nice ,,

Thanks and yes , that's some serious diggin' in one site only .

CMDdawg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aawesome-meter.jpg AWESOME SITE 12.jpg

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think you need more coppers :tongue3:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one heck of a hual, congrats on some awesome finds.
ZDD

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C'mon now , Tree Chaser , :hello2:
you have to seem more excited about those oldies :icon_scratch:

these kind of hunt's may be a common occurrence for you ,

I have news for you ,

if I found an area with that quality of Early relics ,
I would be camping out on that place all weekend
rain or shine , bugs or NO bugs .
Can you give us interested readers a rundown of the 35 coppers ,
type , dates , some pics would be nice ,,

Thanks and yes , that's some serious diggin' in one site only .

CMDdawg

Here's some pics. of several other coins (coppers), though nearly all of them have very heavy corrosion - King William, King George I, a few King George II, Connecticut copper, a few early large cent with the fraction bar on the reverse, & later large cents.

A found one copper in exceptional condition. I posted it earlier in the year. It's a 1749 King George II copper. The ground conditions were much kinder to this coins. The coin is probably part of a shipment on board the H.M.S. Mermaid to Boston in 1750. It was a payment by King George II to the colonist for their support in the war effort against the French (capture of Fort Louisbourg in Nova Scotia). The coins, amounting to 800,000 halfpence coppers, were also sent to alleviate a coin shortage.

PA110067.JPG

P6060034.JPG

P6060037.JPG

The remaining coins are too worn-out to show.

6 English coppers
1 Halfpenny token - Success to Trade & Navigation
9 US large cents
8 too worn for identification

Sorry about the poker face with these finds. You can believe that I am very excited to be hunting this site. That excitement is what gets me up at 4:00 a.m., so that I can get in extra time to pound this field! You have to be excited and more so passionate to find the real old stuff.

Good Hunting

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 with Bounty Hunter Headphones and TX-2002 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the looks of that growing pile of coins and relics. Keep it growing.:thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice collection of finds.:hello2:

I don't think the wide bar can rule out a shoe buckle, specially as there are so many sizes. Although I do believe it looks 17th C when the shoe buckles were much smaller than the 18th C types, so its unlikely to be a 17th C shoe buckle on that basis. Without some research I'm unfamilar with this type, I think you should keep looking for a match.

The bent over 'spoon handle' as you say, is actually a broken clothes/utensil hook that has been bent (after a break at the end) so as to still be functional as a hook. Similar to the one below:
UK Finds Database - - - UKDFD

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim - congrats on some outstanding research that put you onto that awesome early site. You're pulling some amazing things from the ground there, and hopefully this site will produce that much sought after silver tree coin that we're all desperately seeking. I'm fascinated with that design on the partial bowl from a 17th century trifid spoon. Love those buckles too. I found one very similar to the 2nd one shown in your pics about 5 years ago. It came from a mid-1600s trash pit at the site where I dug the 2 scattered caches of hammered silver coins. I was very fortunate to find the complete buckle including the tang which is a rare feat. I can't wait to see what else you can pull from this site. Best of luck to you ..... Bill

PS - have you tried looking for the trash pit at this site yet?

012608k.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread